+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bridgend .......Worth a Visit ?

Bridgend .......Worth a Visit ?

Greasy cafe in Rhiw Centre

Sausage , Egg , Beans and Chips

It's a 9 out of 10 from me

Re: Bridgend .......Worth a Visit ?

Best thing about Bridgend is that commuting links out of the place are good. Having lived in the area for 30 years I'm staggered by how bad the place has become.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

I thought the Rhiw was closed due to RAAC roofing problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dwr View Post
    I thought the Rhiw was closed due to RAAC roofing problem?
    Tragedy

Could be a really nice little town, close to nice beaches and countryside…..20 mins to two cities

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Could be a really nice little town, close to nice beaches and countryside…..20 mins to two cities
    It's a look into the future for Cardiff, run the City into the ground, stop cars from entering, make parking almost impossible, don't bother pick up the rubbish, close the economy for longer than necessary, watch the shops close and watch it decline.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's a look into the future for Cardiff, run the City into the ground, stop cars entering, make parking almost impossible, and watch it decline.
    Isn’t the idea to get more people living and working in the city centre, so it’s always busy?

International

Isn’t the idea to get more people living and working in the city centre, so it’s always busy?
    That would take thought and planning, this lot it's daft headlines look what we've done differently here in Wales butt!

International

Agreed it should be positionally it's in a great place, it's been ruined though it's a wreck.

Thanks, was going to ask about the cafe culture..

It's a look into the future for Cardiff, run the City into the ground, stop cars from entering, make parking almost impossible, don't bother pick up the rubbish, close the economy for longer than necessary, watch the shops close and watch it decline.
    Not really. Bridgend suffers with lots of out of town development on virtually all sides. There is now little reason to visit the town centre.

I remember when traffic could drive through the town, but all streets had double yellow lines so you couldn't park where you liked, anyway. Selfish idiots would sometimes park on one of the roads, creating gridlock. I remember when the bus station closed in 1992 and businesses in Wyndham St couldn't cope with the fumes from buses and cars that frequented it. There are a few streets that you can drive along. I don't get this thing about wanting to fill our town centres up with cars again, apart from the laziness of wanting to park as close as you can to the shop or place you want to visit.

I think that's a part of the problem. People move there as it's cheaper than the cities and an easy commute. Porthcawl is always popular and, as you say, some nice places in close distance.

Port Talbot is a similar story, town centre a dive but good for commuting and lots of nice places nearby.

Merthyr town centre seems to be doing better than either Bridgend or Port Talbot. Aberdare is much smaller with places closing down but it has no out of town development and so the town centre is used, even if parking is crap.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Not really. Bridgend suffers with lots of out of town development on virtually all sides. There is now little reason to visit the town centre.

I remember when traffic could drive through the town, but all streets had double yellow lines so you couldn't park where you liked, anyway. Selfish idiots would sometimes park on one of the roads, creating gridlock. I remember when the bus station closed in 1992 and businesses in Wyndham St couldn't cope with the fumes from buses and cars that frequented it. There are a few streets that you can drive along. I don't get this thing about wanting to fill our town centres up with cars again, apart from the laziness of wanting to park as close as you can to the shop or place you want to visit.
    Cardiff closed the gap between Fanum House the old AA Building and the start of Queens Street, it was the main access for cars traveling from North of town to get to the decent car parks, John Lewis, and St Davids 2, now you have to go round into one lane and joint traffic from East Cardiff, when town is busy it's a nightmare. Last January it took about forty minutes it was gridlock, never again.

It's rubbish now anyway, it's getting more and more run down every month, they probably should close St Mary street and beyond and try and condense it into a little town centre so there are less closed shops around. I don't really care anymore, I'll leave to the dossers in sleeping bags, I'll just go in when I have to and then probably take the train.

I went through week, the docks feeder that cost millions is going to be about 100 metres long, it's a joke, but I suppose at least they are trying something.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ooked-20847746

Cardiff closed the gap between Fanum House the old AA Building and the start of Queens Street, it was the main access for cars traveling from North of town to get to the decent car parks, John Lewis, and St Davids 2, now you have to go round into one lane and joint traffic from East Cardiff, when town is busy it's a nightmare. Last January it took about forty minutes it was gridlock, never again.

It's rubbish now anyway, it's getting more and more run down every month, they probably should close St Mary street and beyond and try and condense it into a little town centre so there are less closed shops around. I don't really care anymore, I'll leave to the dossers in sleeping bags, I'll just go in when I have to and then probably take the train.

I went through week, the docks feeder that cost millions is going to be about 100 metres long, it's a joke, but I suppose at least they are trying something.

For someone who doesnt "care anymore" you spend an anwful lot of time ponitficating about the matter. Im surprised you could get on public transport with a head your size. Self important wally.

I love the dock feeder canal , thank christ it didn't go the way of the glamorgan canal which is just a tiny bit of water to walk a dog

It's great fishing as it runs through bute park , I have caught lots of fish in there and it's pleasant just to stroll along on sit by the water

Cardiffians are lucky to have it as the city's good and great should be hung for filling in the other canal , idiots

The plans are to open up a lot more of it and that will be great as the city centre is dominated by the millenium stadium which is crap and looks like a spaceship

The Canal when opened up will look really classy

International

I love the dock feeder canal , thank christ it didn't go the way of the glamorgan canal which is just a tiny bit of water to walk a dog

It's great fishing as it runs through bute park , I have caught lots of fish in there and it's pleasant just to stroll along on sit by the water

Cardiffians are lucky to have it as the city's good and great should be hung for filling in the other canal , idiots

The plans are to open up a lot more of it and that will be great as the city centre is dominated by the millenium stadium which is crap and looks like a spaceship

The Canal when opened up will look really classy
    Expensive, it will look good when finished, hopefully they push on and open up more of it now they have closed the road and started the work they should build something decent.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    For someone who doesnt "care anymore" you spend an anwful lot of time ponitficating about the matter. Im surprised you could get on public transport with a head your size. Self important wally.
    what a tool.