+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: These electric bike thingys

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

These electric bike thingys

Every time I walk through town I find myself constantly sidestepping trying to avoid being run over by one of the delivery riders. There seems to be an awful lot of them.

I was sat outside the Owen Glyndwr and as they were going past I wondered how legal it was to run electric bikes at the speed some of them travel. Then I thought how easy it would be to use them for the distribution of drugs.

Plod has no chance of catching them even if they wanted.

Today I read the information about electric bike seizures and arrests and it seems like Mr P had the same kind of thoughts

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/ne...crackdown-4903

Re: These electric bike thingys

on a similar theme visiting the heath hospital later where someone on one of those electric disabled scooters was involved in an accident yesterday with a car and van . this on a 20mph speed road too

as you say darkness these electric bikes are deffo a hazard in built up areas . One whizzed past me last week in Canton luckily just missed my toes !

International

The article the OP refers to is 3 weeks old. If plod were serious they could have done the same things another 4 times by now.

It is illegal to ride any kind of bike past the Owen, its a pedestrian precinct.

Cyclist generally are a pain in the arse - they want respect on the roads but then jump red lights, mount pavements to skip red lights, drive in the middle of a two lane road and on it goes

Regular bikes around the pedestrianised areas of town have been a nuisance for a while, mostly the deliveroo types to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The article the OP refers to is 3 weeks old. If plod were serious they could have done the same things another 4 times by now.

It is illegal to ride any kind of bike past the Owen, its a pedestrian precinct.
    They have done it a few times but it doesn’t stop the take away riders. The way they ride as well is so dangerous, you basically have to get out of their way. Someone is going to get badly hurt (if they haven’t already).

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Cyclist generally are a pain in the arse - they want respect on the roads but then jump red lights, mount pavements to skip red lights, drive in the middle of a two lane road and on it goes
    Some cyclists. Many ride responsibly. In the same way many, but not all, car drivers break the speed limit, cross red lights when they shouldn't and pass cyclists dangerously close.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Some cyclists. Many ride responsibly. In the same way many, but not all, car drivers break the speed limit, cross red lights when they shouldn't and pass cyclists dangerously close.
    You don’t often see one stop at a red light.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post

Next time you visit you and I can sit with a beer outside the OG and watch them whizz past

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    Wannabe BMW drivers, obviously!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Wannabe BMW drivers, obviously!

No signals ?

These delivery bikers almost always wear dark clothes and have no lights - illegal, shirley?
    (Some regular bikers too, but delivery bikers are the worst.)

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    These delivery bikers almost always wear dark clothes and have no lights - illegal, shirley?
    (Some regular bikers too, but delivery bikers are the worst.)
    And cover their faces.

saw an electric scooter on AliExpress the other day that claimed to be able to go 125km/h
    what a terrifying prospect, electric meat crayon machine

International

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    Every time I walk through town I find myself constantly sidestepping trying to avoid being run over by one of the delivery riders. There seems to be an awful lot of them.

I was sat outside the Owen Glyndwr and as they were going past I wondered how legal it was to run electric bikes at the speed some of them travel. Then I thought how easy it would be to use them for the distribution of drugs.

Plod has no chance of catching them even if they wanted.

Today I read the information about electric bike seizures and arrests and it seems like Mr P had the same kind of thoughts

https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/ne...crackdown-4903
    Yes crush all the illegal ones, either used for drug runs, robbing houses cars, or crappy just-eat riders.

Nothing wrong with the restricted ones that comply with the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    And cover their faces.
    That's because a lot of them in Roath are drug messengers with fake delivery boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    saw an electric scooter on AliExpress the other day that claimed to be able to go 125km/h
    what a terrifying prospect, electric meat crayon machine
    Here in China some e-bikes can do 150km/h.
    Most of the delivery riders have e-bikes that can do around 120km/h easily.
    Mine is from the factory, fitted with a speed limiter that restricts my bike to 60km/h - plenty fast enough for me on the crowded Chinese roads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Here in China some e-bikes can do 150km/h.
    Most of the delivery riders have e-bikes that can do around 120km/h easily.
    Mine is from the factory, fitted with a speed limiter that restricts my bike to 60km/h - plenty fast enough for me on the crowded Chinese roads.
    Yeah a bike is a terrifying enough prospect at those speeds, but a scooter is even worse IMO slightest pothole in the road and you're ****ed