+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Things Us Old Farts Miss

Don’t get me wrong I love it that I can watch away midweeks live on various outlets. You can follow the games as things happen in loads of places. But getting home tonight got me thinking about the old broadsheet Echo. You’d listened to the game on the wireless last night (or usually just the second half), you’d read a small snippet about the game in that morning’s Daily Mirror, the main football stories were the European Cup matches.

The report in the big Echo was something to look forward to, I read it and read it again after a big away win, once when having my tea, then again later. Practically memorising Peter Corrigan’s or Peter Jackson’s words.

As I said, I do love news and sports at your fingertips but I am glad I lived in the evening Echo years, it was an institution in our house.

Re: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Things i don't miss-Having to speak to a girl on the landline while my old man stared at me, going on about the cost of the call, and him hearing what i was saying. Tapping his watch, the old bastard

i miss being able to do an old fart

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Things i don't miss-Having to speak to a girl on the landline while my old man stared at me, going on about the cost of the call, and him hearing what i was saying. Tapping his watch, the old bastard
    Any smut talk that we need to know about? Or was you afraid of your old man taking notes?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Any smut talk that we need to know about? Or was you afraid of your old man taking notes?
    I wouldn't entertain such a thing, the girls did though I was seeing this Girl from Birtley in the North East, good grief, she was a wrong 'un....

I wouldn't entertain such a thing, the girls did though I was seeing this Girl from Birtley in the North East, good grief, she was a wrong 'un....
    I can picture you, sat on the bottom of the stairs, phone in hand, one sided Geordie filth assaulting your ears, your old man glaring at you down the passage while you’re desperately attempting to hide your half hard on

How the f*ck did you railroad my innocent Echo reminisces?

I can picture you, sat on the bottom of the stairs, phone in hand, one sided Geordie filth assaulting your ears, your old man glaring at you down the passage while you’re desperately attempting to hide your half hard on
    I think he's just reversed the Britt Ekland scene in Get Carter imho!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I think he's just reversed the Britt Ekland scene in Get Carter imho!
    He hasn’t replied for over an hour.......if he’s on that bloody phone again grrrrr, I’ll swing for him

I couldn't understand a word she said to be honest, which was probably a good thing. Anyway, back on Topic. I miss the sound of Milk floats.

I couldn't understand a word she said to be honest, which was probably a good thing. Anyway, back on Topic. I miss the sound of Milk floats.
    I saw one in Sully this week, could hardly hear it though.

I saw one in Sully this week, could hardly hear it though.
    Weird, they were always Battery operated, weren't they? Used to love that humming sound and the milk bottles knocking against each other. Lovely when you were tucked up in bed and you didn't have to be up for work. I might put one of those relaxation vids up on Youtube, 8 hrs of Milkfloat

Weird, they were always Battery operated, weren't they? Used to love that humming sound and the milk bottles knocking against each other. Lovely when you were tucked up in bed and you didn't have to be up for work. I might put one of those relaxation vids up on Youtube, 8 hrs of Milkfloat
    Dear God, this thread has veered from semi hard to semi skimmed

Dear God, this thread has veered from semi hard to semi skimmed
    I was always a 'Full fat' man....

A ‘Why Aye Man’............according to Miss Birtley 1964

A ‘Why Aye Man’............according to Miss Birtley 1964
    'I'll fookin brayne ye' Translated to 'I'll ****ing Brain you' which meant (I think) that she was about to hit someone.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Don’t get me wrong I love it that I can watch away midweeks live on various outlets. You can follow the games as things happen in loads of places. But getting home tonight got me thinking about the old broadsheet Echo. You’d listened to the game on the wireless last night (or usually just the second half), you’d read a small snippet about the game in that morning’s Daily Mirror, the main football stories were the European Cup matches.

The report in the big Echo was something to look forward to, I read it and read it again after a big away win, once when having my tea, then again later. Practically memorising Peter Corrigan’s or Peter Jackson’s words.

As I said, I do love news and sports at your fingertips but I am glad I lived in the evening Echo years, it was an institution in our house.

A long long time ago I worked for a Works manager who used to stand by the clock at 6 am waiting for everyone to clock on.

After 5 minutes he’d take any cards left in the rack so if you were late and wanted to,clock on you’d have to go and find him.

Two of his favourite very loud ripostes were “what happened..shit the bed did you “ and “ did you bring the evening echo with you “

A very large chap with whom very very few people ever argued

I miss Dial-a-Disc and particularly the woman on the line saying "that was Rivers of Baby Lon (sic) by Boney M" in a nasal Essex accent.

Going into the local supermarket, picking up a Gayday and asking the assistant if they've got any Ayds?
    Well okay, I never actually did that... but I could have.

Still am. We drink a lot of milk in this house.

A lot of them were three-wheelers without a steering 'wheel' as such, but they had like a metal bar that moved side-to-side.
    Remember collecting the milk from outside the door, only to find the bluetits had pecked at the foil tops to get at the cream.

Peanut Treets
    Football Echo
    White dog poo
    The Empire Pool
    Top Rank
    County Cinema
    Steam Trains
    Foghorns in the Bristol Channel
    Trolley buses
    Hot salted peanuts
    Collecting Brooke Bond tea cards
    Combes Pasties.

My mother always said, if it was a personal choice between going without food or going without the Echo, she'd choose the former.
    She used to read it from cover to cover (even all of the 'Deaths' column).
    Of course, the broadsheet version was ideal for rolling up and making them into firelighters by making a kind of knot out of them and putting them on the coal fire.
    Also, the Echo broadsheet was the perfect size for placing over the fireplace and "drawing the fire"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Also, the Echo broadsheet was the perfect size for placing over the fireplace and "drawing the fire"
    Until it turned brown, caught fire and disappeared up the chimney !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Until it turned brown, caught fire and disappeared up the chimney !
    With your hands instinctively following it before you pulled them away a bit sharpish