+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Don’t get me wrong I love it that I can watch away midweeks live on various outlets. You can follow the games as things happen in loads of places. But getting home tonight got me thinking about the old broadsheet Echo. You’d listened to the game on the wireless last night (or usually just the second half), you’d read a small snippet about the game in that morning’s Daily Mirror, the main football stories were the European Cup matches.

The report in the big Echo was something to look forward to, I read it and read it again after a big away win, once when having my tea, then again later. Practically memorising Peter Corrigan’s or Peter Jackson’s words.

As I said, I do love news and sports at your fingertips but I am glad I lived in the evening Echo years, it was an institution in our house.
    I have read through the whole of this thread. (3 pages at the moment)

Though there are some pleasant memories, most of it is about how awful life used to be compared to now, with a pride in having survived it. "Character building" - maybe.

I wouldn't want to go back to those times.

Re: Things Us Old Farts Miss

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    I have read through the whole of this thread. (3 pages at the moment)

Though there are some pleasant memories, most of it is about how awful life used to be compared to now, with a pride in having survived it. "Character building" - maybe.

I wouldn't want to go back to those times.

I s’pose but we didn’t know they were awful, it was all we knew. I often say that I’m glad that I lived in the era I lived in. Safely
    knocking about the streets, over the fields, down the lanes, over the park until all hours, playing football & cricket. Even having the odd up and dap with someone, but it was always a couple of punchs and a bit of a wrestle perhaps, nothing sinister.

Then going into your teens and beyond, there was an abundance of parks football & baseball, plenty of pubs, if you were into that. Life was fun.

Of course it’s more comfortable now and rightly so but are todays kids mixing as freely as we did or are they more home/gadget based?
    We had bugger all but knew no different, a lack of finance or luxury certainly didn’t curtail my fun. I don’t envy todays youngsters one bit, I think life is a bit of a slog for them and, unfortunately, for some a lonely slog.