+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Results we've never had

Results we've never had

Optimistic Nick asked a question recently about whether there were any opponents that we'd had a "full house" of scores against, up to 4-4 (so 0-0, 1-1 to 4-4, 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 etc up to 4-3 for and against). We hadn't. Burnley was the closest, where we had only failed to get a 4-1 win, 4-3 win and 4-4 draw.

I noticed that we have never had a 2-2 draw with Bristol City, so I thought I'd have a look at other surprising scorelines we've never had against teams we've played often enough.

We've never had a 0-0, 1-0 win or 2-1 win over Man Utd. Of our 8 wins against them, only 1 has been by 1 goal, a 3-2 away success in April 1954. 3 have been by 2 goals, 4 have been by 3 goals.

We've never beaten Newport or Peterborough by 1-0.

Despite 16 wins over Ipswich, none have been by 2-0.

We've never lost 2-1 to Barnsley or Bury, despite losing 21 times to Bury and 14 times to Barnsley.

Re: Results we've never had

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Optimistic Nick asked a question recently about whether there were any opponents that we'd had a "full house" of scores against, up to 4-4 (so 0-0, 1-1 to 4-4, 1-0, 2-0, 2-1 etc up to 4-3 for and against). We hadn't. Burnley was the closest, where we had only failed to get a 4-1 win, 4-3 win and 4-4 draw.

I noticed that we have never had a 2-2 draw with Bristol City, so I thought I'd have a look at other surprising scorelines we've never had against teams we've played often enough.

We've never had a 0-0, 1-0 win or 2-1 win over Man Utd. Of our 8 wins against them, only 1 has been by 1 goal, a 3-2 away success in April 1954. 3 have been by 2 goals, 4 have been by 3 goals.

We've never beaten Newport or Peterborough by 1-0.

Despite 16 wins over Ipswich, none have been by 2-0.

We've never lost 2-1 to Barnsley or Bury, despite losing 21 times to Bury and 14 times to Barnsley.
    Out of the teams currently in the Championship, have we ever beaten any of them 8-0?

The reason I ask is cos my Grandson & me always try to predict the score on the way to the game. But tradition has it that about 5 mins before kick-off it all goes out the window as I tend to get a tad over optimistic and change my prediction to a big City win… usually 8-0!

I’d just want to be able to reference previous massive City wins, to prove I’m not insane.

Seven is the biggest score I have seen , unfortunately it was against us. V Cambridge utd

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Out of the teams currently in the Championship, have we ever beaten any of them 8-0?

The reason I ask is cos my Grandson & me always try to predict the score on the way to the game. But tradition has it that about 5 mins before kick-off it all goes out the window as I tend to get a tad over optimistic and change my prediction to a big City win… usually 8-0!

I’d just want to be able to reference previous massive City wins, to prove I’m not insane.
    We beat Enfield in the FA Cup in November 1931 by that scoreline, but that remains the only time we've scored 8 in a league or cup game outside of the Welsh cup etc.

We've managed 7-0 wins over Burnley (Sept 1928) and Barnsley (Dec 1957).

We've managed 6-0 wins over Bristol City, Chester City, Hull City, Manchester City, Millwall and Northampton Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Seven is the biggest score I have seen , unfortunately it was against us. V Cambridge utd
    Between March 1998 and March 2002 we scored 7 on three occasions, all in 7-1 wins over Doncaster, Oldham and Rushden & Diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    We beat Enfield in the FA Cup in November 1931 by that scoreline, but that remains the only time we've scored 8 in a league or cup game outside of the Welsh cup etc.

We've managed 7-0 wins over Burnley (Sept 1928) and Barnsley (Dec 1957).

We've managed 6-0 wins over Bristol City, Chester City, Hull City, Manchester City, Millwall and Northampton Town.
    Right 6-0 it is today then… all I need now is some of those dates where we beat Bristol City, and any home wins highlighted please. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    Right 6-0 it is today then… all I need now is some of those dates where we beat Bristol City, and any home wins highlighted please. ����
    Sat 22 Apr 1933 Northampton Town H W 6-0
    Sat 3 Jan 1948 Millwall H W 6-0
    Sat 21 Feb 1953 Manchester City H W 6-0
    Sat 1 Nov 1969 Hull City H W 6-0
    Sat 14 Nov 1998 Chester City H W 6-0
    Tue 26 Jan 2010 Bristol City A W 6-0

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Didn't we lose 7-1 to Luton as well? Late '70s.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Didn't we lose 7-1 to Luton as well? Late '70s.
    Yes - I am ashamed to say I was pleased, only because it meant that Jimmy Andrews would be sacked.
    Which he was.

Has anyone got a distributor cap for a Ford Mondeo ?