+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nottingham Panthers Tragedy

Nottingham Panthers Tragedy

BBC News - Adam Johnson: Nottingham Panthers forward dies after neck cut in Challenge Cup match
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892

Re: Nottingham Panthers Tragedy

Shocking stuff.
    It happened to a Canadian player in the NHL years ago and I think he survived. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often tbh.

Devastating. Saw it earlier. Certainly puts things into perspective.
    R.I.P.

I remember when I used to go to the ice skating disco's in the rink in Cardiff in the early 90s, a man fell and smashed his glasses glass went in his eyes. Blood everywhere. Put me off for life.

Horrible accident to happen.

Years ago, I remember seeing someone's hand badly cut at Bristol ice rink. But a cut to the neck... it doesn't bear thinking about. Poor sod.

Dear God absolutely shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Shocking stuff.
    It happened to a Canadian player in the NHL years ago and I think he survived. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often tbh.
    Goalie for the Sabres in the 80's... they said the only reason he survived was the team medic was a veteran Vietnam combat medic who was used to dealing with that kind of trauma. Do not look up any photos unless you have a very strong stomach.

There've been a few other incidents involving bad, bad skate cuts including one to the neck and they've since mandated the goalies wear neck protectors as they are often on the ice around the other players skates, but don't think it's really realistic to ask the skaters to wear the same kind of thing... just a freak accident.

Just awful.

After the Bristol match I went to Devils v Blaze. One of the latter's players went off with what looked like a broken hand or wrist. There was a further stoppage whilst his blood was scraped up after leaving a trail on the ice. Confusingly, this happened roughly the same time as the Panthers incident. People were getting messages that a player had died after a serious bleed and incorrectly put two and two together. Not sure how the Blaze player is but Johnson had no chance. All matches postponed today as a mark of respect.
    Last edited by IanD; 29-10-23 at 15:29. Reason: Addition

Worst thing I have ever seen on a sporting field.

That’s truly terrible and a tragedy for the sport.

Poor bloke

I don't want to see the video that's doing the rounds, but what happened?

I’ve seen the incident, I still can’t get my head around why the players leg was that high.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    I’ve seen the incident, I still can’t get my head around why the players leg was that high.
    He was losing his balance going forward, so tried to regain it by extending his leg back and upwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    I don't want to see the video that's doing the rounds, but what happened?
    People who watch death videos like that need to see a psychiatrist

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People who watch death videos like that need to see a psychiatrist
    The video is not as gruesome as you might think. He is helped up and is being assisted to skate off the ice. You can clearly see blood on his jersey.

He was losing his balance going forward, so tried to regain it by extending his leg back and upwards.
    I’m not at all sure that’s the case. He seemed to intentionally lift his leg to impede the player, clearly the horrible outcome was not intentional.

I’m not at all sure that’s the case. He seemed to intentionally lift his leg to impede the player, clearly the horrible outcome was not intentional.
    Think you're in a very small minority with that conclusion.

Just 29 years of age.

Being an American citizen, it's perhaps doubtful if he had any family in the UK either.

Absolutely tragic.

Think you're in a very small minority with that conclusion.
    Maybe, I'm not an expert and not trying to troll, just looked a completely unnatural position.

Maybe, I'm not an expert and not trying to troll, just looked a completely unnatural position.
    I agree. I just can't see any reason why his leg should be four foot in the air. There's nowhere near enough momentum.

Interested to see that neck protectors are compulsory in many countries / leagues due to exact same causes of fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    I agree. I just can't see any reason why his leg should be four foot in the air. There's nowhere near enough momentum.
    Good to know the board has professional ice skating accident investigation knowledge on it to go with every other subject where we know best

Tell us how much high level ice hockey collisions you've experienced to decide this

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Good to know the board has professional ice skating accident investigation knowledge on it to go with every other subject where we know best

Tell us how much high level ice hockey collisions you've experienced to decide this
    Ah got you, nobody is ever allowed an opinion in anything ever unless they've got a masters degree in whatever the subject is. Plenty of ex ice hockey players on Twitter are saying the same thing.

I'll leave it at that.