+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nottingham Panthers Tragedy

Re: Nottingham Panthers Tragedy

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Ah got you, nobody is ever allowed an opinion in anything ever unless they've got a masters degree in whatever the subject is. Plenty of ex ice hockey players on Twitter are saying the same thing.

I'll leave it at that.
    Are people seriously thinking he did it deliberately. I'm genuinely shocked

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Are people seriously thinking he did it deliberately. I'm genuinely shocked
    Didn't you just say 'Good to know the board has professional ice skating accident investigation knowledge' so how can you have an opinion on it if you aren't a 'professional ice skating accident investigator?;

Nobody thinks he went out to deliberately to hurt the guy. But quite a few think he lifted his leg on purpose in an attempt to stop the player. I don't know why that's so unfathomable to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Didn't you just say 'Good to know the board has professional ice skating accident investigation knowledge' so how can you have an opinion on it if you aren't a 'professional ice skating accident investigator?;

Nobody thinks he went out to deliberately to hurt the guy. But quite a few think he lifted his leg on purpose in an attempt to stop the player. I don't know why that's so unfathomable to believe.
    Flippant humor rather than keyboard warrior who has responded to you but in reality reacted to other stories I've been reading on the accident. Didn't mean to sound so twattish

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Flippant humor rather than keyboard warrior who has responded to you but in reality reacted to other stories I've been reading on the accident. Didn't mean to sound so twattish
    Fair enough, have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluejay View Post
    Maybe, I'm not an expert and not trying to troll, just looked a completely unnatural position.
    I've watched it a few times today and am beginning to shift my opinion.

I watch the odd Devils game and enjoy it but can't really comment on this as I've never played - is it a natural position at all?

I’ve never played, or watched much ice hockey, but my opinion when I saw a video of the incident was the opposing player had his foot/skate way to high, and it looked deliberate.

Who would have thought we’d have so many ice skating experts within this small Cardiff City football forum community

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Who would have thought we’d have so many ice skating experts within this small Cardiff City football forum community
    Don’t think anyone’s claimed to be an expert on Ice Hockey, but we are allowed to comment on what we’ve seen aren’t we?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I've only ever seen one game live and thought it was boring however and seeing this incident, my expert opinion found him guilty of dangerous play but not intentional however the outcome being what it was, a manslaughter decision and a very sad incident.

I've watched hundreds of hockey games in person and on TV, hopefully that allows me to qualify an opinion on this. It's definitely a very unnatural position, and to me it doesn't look like the contact he gets right before is enough to make his leg do that. It looks really bad and I honestly can't remember seeing anything looking anything like it in any game I've watched. And plenty of ex hockey pros on social media seem to share this opinion.

With that being said, do I believe that a hockey player is that reckless to consciously try to do that? I just can't see it... but I can understand how it meets the bar for at least a manslaughter investigation in this country given how far outside the scope of what normally happens in the sport it is. Usually when a player gets a bad skate cut, it's because he was unlucky to be down on the ice. A skate this high catching somebody, I think I've heard of it once but then it was a hard hit and the other player clearly going head over heels. It's just a really odd situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Bluebird View Post
    I've watched hundreds of hockey games in person and on TV, hopefully that allows me to qualify an opinion on this. It's definitely a very unnatural position, and to me it doesn't look like the contact he gets right before is enough to make his leg do that. It looks really bad and I honestly can't remember seeing anything looking anything like it in any game I've watched. And plenty of ex hockey pros on social media seem to share this opinion.

With that being said, do I believe that a hockey player is that reckless to consciously try to do that? I just can't see it... but I can understand how it meets the bar for at least a manslaughter investigation in this country given how far outside the scope of what normally happens in the sport it is. Usually when a player gets a bad skate cut, it's because he was unlucky to be down on the ice. A skate this high catching somebody, I think I've heard of it once but then it was a hard hit and the other player clearly going head over heels. It's just a really odd situation.
    I've not watched as much as you, but got quite into it the last 7 years or so since a holiday in Toronto and caught the bug of the sport since watching them. I've read a fair amount of stuff from Canadian fans about this. None I've seen think that think this was deliberate in any way. The week after, many NHL players started wearing neck guards to protect against this type of injury. A Leafs player was seriously injured a couple of years ago after a random accident that slashed his leg open. That could also have been life ending, but thankfully wasn't. The speed ice hockey is played at,, with razor sharp blades on their feet, it's surprising more serious incidents don't occur.
    No way did any hockey player go out to end someone like this. This is a sport where there's so many unwritten rules about fighting on the ice, 'etiquette' if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    I've not watched as much as you, but got quite into it the last 7 years or so since a holiday in Toronto and caught the bug of the sport since watching them. I've read a fair amount of stuff from Canadian fans about this. None I've seen think that think this was deliberate in any way. The week after, many NHL players started wearing neck guards to protect against this type of injury. A Leafs player was seriously injured a couple of years ago after a random accident that slashed his leg open. That could also have been life ending, but thankfully wasn't. The speed ice hockey is played at,, with razor sharp blades on their feet, it's surprising more serious incidents don't occur.
    No way did any hockey player go out to end someone like this. This is a sport where there's so many unwritten rules about fighting on the ice, 'etiquette' if you will.
    I've only watched one live game of ice hockey, so I'm no expert.
    However, I read the 'comments section' to a video which was posted on YouTube. The majority of those leaving comments seemed to be North Americans who claimed to have been life-long followers of the sport. They mostly said that in their view the opponent deliberately stuck out his leg - not with an intention of causing such a fatal injury, but definitely to try and impede.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    I've only watched one live game of ice hockey, so I'm no expert.
    However, I read the 'comments section' to a video which was posted on YouTube. The majority of those leaving comments seemed to be North Americans who claimed to have been life-long followers of the sport. They mostly said that in their view the opponent deliberately stuck out his leg - not with an intention of causing such a fatal injury, but definitely to try and impede.
    Exactly. Impeding, not intending to seriously injure or kill. This is a tragic accident.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Exactly. Impeding, not intending to seriously injure or kill. This is a tragic accident.
    I doubt anyone believes the player Matt Petgrave had any intention to hurt Adam Johnson: he was unfortunate to be the instigator of a tragic accident while performing his role as an opposing player in an Ice Hockey match.

However, he is open to a charge of Involuntary Manslaughter. As the term implies there is a recognition that there is no question of intent but if it's accepted he acted irresponsibly and/or negligently in performing the fatal manoeuvre he could be found guilty. Much might hinge on what the opinion of Ice Hockey experts might be regarding the appropriateness or otherwise of his play at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I doubt anyone believes the player Matt Petgrave had any intention to hurt Adam Johnson: he was unfortunate to be the instigator of a tragic accident while performing his role as an opposing player in an Ice Hockey match.

However, he is open to a charge of Involuntary Manslaughter. As the term implies there is a recognition that there is no question of intent but if it's accepted he acted irresponsibly and/or negligently in performing the fatal manoeuvre he could be found guilty. Much might hinge on what the opinion of Ice Hockey experts might be regarding the appropriateness or otherwise of his play at the time.
    I'm glad it's not for me to decide. If it was I'd have to say he clearly raises his leg with the intention of making contact with Johnson in some form, although obviously not in the way it happened. So I'd say involuntary manslaughter sounds about right. But, as I say, I'm glad I'm not having to make that call other than on a football message board.

I understand it is possible to see the incident but I couldn't

I can't imagine those close to the situation on the ice or in the arena being able to deal with that , it sounds absolutely horrific

It is obvious he did not intend for the results that happened but he did intend to hurt him. Where that can be argued on the initial kick It cannot be argued on the second kick.

A sports field does not allow you to act above the law and whilst he did not intend to kill him he has done and he must face accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Barry Bastad View Post
    It is obvious he did not intend for the results that happened but he did intend to hurt him. Where that can be argued on the initial kick It cannot be argued on the second kick.

A sports field does not allow you to act above the law and whilst he did not intend to kill him he has done and he must face accountability.
    That's always puzzled me about football. Where someone makes a malicious challenge on another player how come it doesn't end up as an assault charge? Or maybe it does sometimes? I'm not talking about punches or head butts necessarily. Keane on Haaland for example? That's a straightforward assault isn't it?