+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is It Worth Going To New Zealand For A week ?

Is It Worth Going To New Zealand For A week ?

Stupid question maybe, but the context is slightly different. I am going to Adelaide next November and will spend the bulk of my time there, Flinders, Barrossa, Coast, City and Kangaroo Island. I have just over a month planned and the intention was to go to both Melbourne and Uluru as well, as I've not been to either, I would have liked to go to Sydney as well but I've been there and as time is limited......

I'm thinking about skipping or curtailing some bits to spend a week in NZ, but part of me is saying, dont be silly as that is a holiday on its own.

Thoughts from those that have been to NZ and/or Uluru.......

Thanks

Re: Is It Worth Going To New Zealand For A week ?

New Zealand is a holiday on its own.

We have been once - for 4 weeks (with Tasmania and WA bookending it) - and that was barely enough time to get around.

Uluru was fantastic - but if you get the timing wrong it can be very busy. Take an insect net/hat. The bugs are big - and there are lots of them!

Earlier this year we spend a month cruising to New Zealand and back up to Cairns.

New Zealand is fantastic, particularly the South Island. With your limited time you may be able to visit Fjordland (Milford Sound etc) and Dunedin, which is on the Otago peninsula. Apart from Sydney, which I love, Dunedin is a fantastic place to visit. Also on the South Island, Christchurch is well worth a trip. As for the North Island, it was OK but Auckland nor Wellington were anything special.

No. I went to Australia for a week. Left on Sunday arrived on Tuesday. Left the following Monday morning and was back in New York by 11pm Monday night. My Monday was 40 hours long. I slept normally that night, but then barely slept for a week.

Sorry, I didn't read your post all the way through. Sure, go for it. That's like me going to the west coast or the UK for a week. I've done that loads of times. I've actually been to London for the weekend quite a few times.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    No. I went to Australia for a week. Left on Sunday arrived on Tuesday. Left the following Monday morning and was back in New York by 11pm Monday night. My Monday was 40 hours long. I slept normally that night, but then barely slept for a week.

I was waking in Sydney. Met up with some mates who’d travelled for a wedding. One of their crew had flown to Sydney from the UK gone to the wedding and was flying out that night on his way to Nairobi.

Mental

The missus and I did a week in NZ some 20 years ago now and say yes, do it, treat it as a prep for a second, future visit if you're lucky enough. We began in Christchurch from where we'd booked a VW camper, drove south to Dunedin then across to Queenstown, missed the Fjords as we realised there wasn't time and turned north along the west coast. Choice of glaciers to visit there (we did Franz Joseph) then took a ferry (VW and all) to Wellington. Surreal moment looking ahead to north island and backwards to south island. Then traveled among the lakes, hot springs and other volcanic activity to Auckland. Another highlight enroute was to camp at a small resort where we spent a few hours under the stars in a hot spring feeding a pool the size of an Guildford Crescent.

New Zealand is fab.

One recommendation for Adelaide (where we also visited a distant relative on the same trip) was to take a pre-booked flight in a small aircraft over Wilpena pound about 100 miles north; Google earth it to see why. And surely you should try to spend some time in Cairns for the beaches and the reef which is unforgettable. Also from there take the steam train to Kuranda (tropical) Forest.

Would love to do it all again.

for a week. No

I would think so. You just wont have the time to see as much as you would like, Oh well...Go for a week and enjoy whatever you can cram in during that time, Some people can't afford a weekend in Blackpool. Take it while you can

Quote Originally Posted by light up the darkness View Post
    I was waking in Sydney. Met up with some mates who’d travelled for a wedding. One of their crew had flown to Sydney from the UK gone to the wedding and was flying out that night on his way to Nairobi.

Mental
    That's crazy. How old was he at the time? I could see doing that in my early 20s. But it still wouldn't be pleasant.

Not if you're going by boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Stupid question maybe, but the context is slightly different. I am going to Adelaide next November and will spend the bulk of my time there, Flinders, Barrossa, Coast, City and Kangaroo Island. I have just over a month planned and the intention was to go to both Melbourne and Uluru as well, as I've not been to either, I would have liked to go to Sydney as well but I've been there and as time is limited......

I'm thinking about skipping or curtailing some bits to spend a week in NZ, but part of me is saying, dont be silly as that is a holiday on its own.

Thanks

But the CO2 !!!!!!!!!

I've not given up hope of going back down under and would like to spread it across Australia & New Zealand, Doris is retiring in we think December, but another 5 years for me so plenty of time to save some wedge we thought 3 weeks in Australia was no where near enough time and didn't get to see all that we wanted. I don't think I'd go that far for a week T.B.H although I'm sure you'd have a great time so just do it.

Thanks
    Unfortunately I think you need to give New Zealand a month on its own.You will not be disappointed.
    You should find plenty to keep you busy in South Australia.
    I see you are planning to visit the Barossa, other wine regions worth a visit are the beautiful Clare Valley, McLare Vale and the Adelaide hills. Also the Coonawarra in the states south east.
    If you need any tips let me know.

Hi mate I believe we exchanged a few messages a few years ago while I was living in Adelaide.

A week definitely isn’t enough for NZ, maybe a semi decent coverage of either North/South island depending how much you’d like to see/move around.

Highly recommend the great ocean road between Adelaide and Melbourne if you haven’t seen it. If you have any questions etc more then happy to give a few recommendations over PM. I’ve lived in both NZ (Queenstown) and now Melbourne

Best wait and spend more time there at a later juncture, old fruit. (I went last year).

I spent 2 months there - you can definitely have a good weeks holiday there if you're coming from Australia

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

That's crazy. How old was he at the time? I could see doing that in my early 20s. But it still wouldn't be pleasant.

It was a military wedding. The chap in question was a Company commander in 2 Rifles. Age early 30s

Not to be argued with

A week? check this map to see how big the place is https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/desti...ares-to-europe

Sorry, I didn't read your post all the way through. Sure, go for it. That's like me going to the west coast or the UK for a week. I've done that loads of times. I've actually been to London for the weekend quite a few times.
    yeah i didn't read it either lol. sorry OP

Thanks for all the replies, with plenty of 'food for thought'. I did my primary schooling (a very long time ago) in Adelaide and only went back in 2019 for the first time in over 40 years. I think I may skip NZ and do it justice when I can afford to go in the future, South Australia is my favorite place in the world, with my favorite part probably the Flinders, which is abundant with wildlife and just the best night skies you will ever see.

Thanks again.

Fear the cost of living crisis will put pay to my planned trips.

Tenby B&B mid winter getaway for me .

Thanks for all the replies, with plenty of 'food for thought'. I did my primary schooling (a very long time ago) in Adelaide and only went back in 2019 for the first time in over 40 years. I think I may skip NZ and do it justice when I can afford to go in the future, South Australia is my favorite place in the world, with my favorite part probably the Flinders, which is abundant with wildlife and just the best night skies you will ever see.

Thanks again.
    You are right, the night sky is amazing in the Flinders ranges.
    When you do get to New Zealand make sure you visit Mt.Cook on the South Island.
    I have never seen stars like it.