+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Encounters.

Strange Encounters.

1983-Walking home from school, 10 years old. This bloke walking towards me, big mop of black hair, olive skinned, Athletic, Not the look of your Average Llanedeyrn resident. As he got closer i noticed that he was wearing a Brazil Tracksuit. On closer inspection i realised that it was Eder, Left footed genius of World Cup 1982 fame, (What a team that was) I stopped and stared at him and he smiled at me. I called out his name as he passed and he gave me the thumbs up and carried on with his walk.

Brazil were staying in the Hotel on the Llanedeyrn Roundabout. They were Playing Wales in a few days time, i think it was a Saturday kick off at Ninian Park. He was out for a stroll through the council estate of Llanedeyrn. When i got home and told me old man he told me to piss off I also bumped into David Giles in Cala Millor-Majorca

Anyone else encounter a famous person in an odd place or situation? I'm sure NY Blue has a good story about Madonna

Re: Strange Encounters.

I bumped into Malcolm Clarke by Cardiff Castle in about 1968 and got his autograph.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    I bumped into Malcolm Clarke by Cardiff Castle in about 1968 and got his autograph.
    Who is-Was, Malcolm Clarke? Excuse my ignorance.

Brother of Colin Clarke who played for Oxford over 400 times.
    We signed him from Leicester and he was a fair midfield performer who played for us about a couple of seasons in the latter part of the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Who is-Was, Malcolm Clarke? Excuse my ignorance.
    This is where being old comes into its own. You will no doubt be aware of our epic run to the ECWC semi-final in 1968. We played Moscow Torpedo in the quarter-final and Malcolm Clarke played in our 1-0 victory at Ninian.

1983-Walking home from school, 10 years old. This bloke walking towards me, big mop of black hair, olive skinned, Athletic, Not the look of your Average Llanedeyrn resident. As he got closer i noticed that he was wearing a Brazil Tracksuit. On closer inspection i realised that it was Eder, Left footed genius of World Cup 1982 fame, (What a team that was) I stopped and stared at him and he smiled at me. I called out his name as he passed and he gave me the thumbs up and carried on with his walk.

Brazil were staying in the Hotel on the Llanedeyrn Roundabout. They were Playing Wales in a few days time, i think it was a Saturday kick off at Ninian Park. He was out for a stroll through the council estate of Llanedeyrn. When i got home and told me old man he told me to piss off I also bumped into David Giles in Cala Millor-Majorca

Anyone else encounter a famous person in an odd place or situation? I'm sure NY Blue has a good story about Madonna
    I was walking with my missus and friends in Trevone, Cornwall when this guy walked towards me that I sort of recognised. When he got closer I realised it was the BBC reporter (and Welshman) Jeremy Bowen. While I'm Sydney about 10 years ago, Germane Greer walked passed. Not surprising her being Australian and all.

No definite A-Listers for me but I'm 95% sure I saw Christopher Walken in Singapore once, looking very dapper in a light coloured suit. My daughter takes the prize because she spotted Bruce Willis on his bicycle in New York and managed to take a pic of him to prove it.

The fella out of squeeze in the red onion after a gig

Glen Tilbrook ?

His wife was fit

We've had this thread some years ago so this is a short repeat of my contribution from then.

In Minorca in the late 70's with my first missus and, as you do, got friendly on the beach with with two families of similar ages (all with kids). Wasn't long before a ball was produced and we began a kick-around. It took a while but they seemed familiar and when we got talking I realised the guys were Steve Kember and Alan Birchenall who were both at (or recently left) Leicester together. We met up on the beach several times that holiday and they were great company and super friendly.

Before writing this post I looked them up on Wiki and am glad to say they are both still alive and, evidently, enjoying their golden years. Kember is 74 and Chief Scout at Crystal Palace whilst Birchenall is 78 and match day ambassador with Leicester City.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    We've had this thread some years ago so this is a short repeat of my contribution from then.

In Minorca in the late 70's with my first missus and, as you do, got friendly on the beach with with two families of similar ages (all with kids). Wasn't long before a ball was produced and we began a kick-around. It took a while but they seemed familiar and when we got talking I realised the guys were Steve Kember and Alan Birchenall who were both at (or recently left) Leicester together. We met up on the beach several times that holiday and they were great company and super friendly.

Before writing this post I looked them up on Wiki and am glad to say they are both still alive and, evidently, enjoying their golden years. Kember is 74 and Chief Scout at Crystal Palace whilst Birchenall is 78 and match day ambassador with Leicester City.
    Blonde hair ? Hasn't he sadly got dementia these days ?

Menorca is great , mahon is lovely , no piss artists

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I was walking with my missus and friends in Trevone, Cornwall when this guy walked towards me that I sort of recognised. When he got closer I realised it was the BBC reporter (and Welshman) Jeremy Bowen. While I'm Sydney about 10 years ago, Germane Greer walked passed. Not surprising her being Australian and all.

No definite A-Listers for me but I'm 95% sure I saw Christopher Walken in Singapore once, looking very dapper in a light coloured suit. My daughter takes the prize because she spotted Bruce Willis on his bicycle in New York and managed to take a pic of him to prove it.
    Brilliant stuff. That's one hell of a cross section.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

Didn't you get more of a clue when you started knocking the ball about Great story though

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Blonde hair ? Hasn't he sadly got dementia these days ?

Menorca is great , mahon is lovely , no piss artists
    Menorca is fantastic. Ciutadella is lovely.

Walking around IKEA with a woman , City shirt on

Coming straight towards me is Neil Kinnock

Yellow teeth , big grin , gave me a wink

We understood each other

Menorca is fantastic. Ciutadella is lovely.
    So lovely I havnt been for 20 years

So lovely I havnt been for 20 years
    What's stopping you?

What's stopping you?
    I don't like flying these days

It's far too much hassle and organisation

Passed Pierce Brosnon in a lift once, he said morning as we passed. I said to my wife he looked like an older Pierce Brosnon.
    While we waited for a taxi he walked past again and it was him, turns out he had the room (probably a suite) opposite us in the hotel.

I don't like flying these days

It's far too much hassle and organisation
    Go from Cardiff, nice and relaxed. I'm not a fan of flying, but it's only 2 hours. Get on it!

Go from Cardiff, nice and relaxed. I'm not a fan of flying, but it's only 2 hours. Get on it!
    Bollocks to that. In 2 hours I can get a bus from Cardiff and arrive in Ely.

Well if I do fly again I will be going there

It's unlike all the other Spanish islands

Further east in the med the sea is too green

Neil and Glenys Kinnock in the bar at Manchester Business School in 1994.
    Glenn Hoddle in the Tote at Ascot in 1997.

Saw the bloke who played Jimmy Corkhill in WHSmith Queen Street. I pointed and said "it's Jimmy Corkhill!" but he was nice about it.

Jeremy Bowen was in the New Inn (when it was called Chequers) years ago. Looked like him and a mate were on a mission (maybe to decompress from a trip to Lebanon or somewhere) so didn't bother him. They looked quite morose but that was Chequers for you.

Dennis Irwin in a bar in town. A mate of mine told him he was a "great example to the kids". Irwin ignored him (probably quite rightly).

James Dean Bradfield was stood next to me at the bar in Chapter after Wales Belgium in 2015. I told him he could go to the bar before me cos I was just helping a mate carry the order and he tried to make a joke about it that was so insipid the combination of a well-known face and the banality threw me off guard and he starting speaking to someone else.

Heathrow sightings - Paul Weller, Sam Fox and Naomi Campbell (not at the same time) but not so strange to see slebs at an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Saw the bloke who played Jimmy Corkhill in WHSmith Queen Street. I pointed and said "it's Jimmy Corkhill!" but he was nice about it.

Jeremy Bowen was in the New Inn (when it was called Chequers) years ago. Looked like him and a mate were on a mission (maybe to decompress from a trip to Lebanon or somewhere) so didn't bother him. They looked quite morose but that was Chequers for you.

Dennis Irwin in a bar in town. A mate of mine told him he was a "great example to the kids". Irwin ignored him (probably quite rightly).

James Dean Bradfield was stood next to me at the bar in Chapter after Wales Belgium in 2015. I told him he could go to the bar before me cos I was just helping a mate carry the order and he tried to make a joke about it that was so insipid the combination of a well-known face and the banality threw me off guard and he starting speaking to someone else.

Heathrow sightings - Paul Weller, Sam Fox and Naomi Campbell (not at the same time) but not so strange to see slebs at an airport.
    Great post. You're right about Chequers, was an awful place. It isn't much better now (The New Inn) plenty of ***** in there.

Eder in llanedyern, that’s amazing, down the maelfa for some fags

While hanging around the streets in the seventies me and my mates bumped into the band Stray Cats setting up for a gig at the Casablanca. The lead singer let me touch his quiff!!!
    Also shared a spliff with Hywel Bennett in the Dowlais. Nice guys all of them.