+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Talking Point from Saturdays Game

A Talking Point from Saturdays Game

was this a back pass or not ?

Re: A Talking Point from Saturdays Game

He played it back off his calf, not his foot. The ball has to be played back deliberately with the foot to be a free kick.

I thought he tried to control it rather than deliberately pass it to the keeper.
    A deliberate first-touch pass to the keeper would've been far too risky, and could well have ended up as an own goal.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    He played it back off his calf, not his foot. The ball has to be played back deliberately with the foot to be a free kick.
    He must have high calf’s !!!!!

His body language says he’s guilty

Seems to me it may have hit his left foot first then there was a faint touch off his right - if there were two touches it might explain what otherwise looks a bonkers decision.

International

Definitely a back pass for me, he was under pressure and tapped it back to his keeper, agreed with the above his expression and behavior was oh shit I just backed passed and he picked it up.

Referees hate giving those now for some reason?

I haven't seen the Meite offside decision yet, but that looked fine at the time, but I am biased.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    I thought he tried to control it rather than deliberately pass it to the keeper.
    A deliberate first-touch pass to the keeper would've been far too risky, and could well have ended up as an own goal.
    What was he going to do with it then after he had controlled it, bearing in mind he was facing his goalie and own net ? It was a deliberate first touch pass. He was cushioning it for his goalie to clear. You would argue black was white if the outcome was against City.

It didn't hit his calf, it came off his foot which was raised slightly off the ground.

Funny looking calf. Never seen one on a foot before.

I don’t think so. An awful touch but don’t think he meant to pass it back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I don’t think so. An awful touch but don’t think he meant to pass it back.
    It’s a good touch and the ball went backwards should have been a free kick

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It’s a good touch and the ball went backwards should have been a free kick
    I don’t think he passed it back, just wanted to stop it.

I tend to agree. It was a bit of an odd one. Defenders know you can't pass it back and we rarely ever see free kicks for such things any more. To me it looks like he made a total hash of whatever he was trying to do. He was lucky that a miscontrol didn't fall to a City player.

I agree. It looks like he stopped the ball but before he could decide what to do next, the goalie came off the line and picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I agree. It looks like he stopped the ball but before he could decide what to do next, the goalie came off the line and picked it up.
    He might not have meant it as a back pass, but the goalkeeper turned it into one by picking it up. You see incidents where a defender slices a clearance and the keeper catches it because there’s no way it could be construed as a back pass, but this was different . The ball was so close to the goal with so many players near by that the keeper panicked - the law was brought in to stop things like that happening and, unless there were two touches as I suggested , it was a clear free kick.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    He might not have meant it as a back pass, but the goalkeeper turned it into one by picking it up. You see incidents where a defender slices a clearance and the keeper catches it because there’s no way it could be construed as a back pass, but this was different . The ball was so close to the goal with so many players near by that the keeper panicked - the law was brought in to stop things like that happening and, unless there were two touches as I suggested , it was a clear free kick.
    Agreed definitely a back pass.

If it had been at the other end and his touch resulted in another Bristol player netting, would it be classed as an assist by the stats gurus? I’d say yes…… he played the ball back to his ‘keeper.

Thinking about it, the back-pass rule isn't actually about passing back. A keeper could be in front of a player passing the ball to him and the offence be penalised.....

I don't think it was a back pass

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    I don't think it was a back pass
    What was it then?

What was it then?
    A spur of the moment touch with the intention of controlling the ball.

Hum, I can see what you mean, but defending in the six yard box in the centre of the goal is not the place anyone wants to be taking two touches. I would argue that as soon as the goalkeeper picked the ball up it had to be seen as a back pass whether it was intended to be one or not..

You’ve just described a back pass

Hum, I can see what you mean, but defending in the six yard box in the centre of the goal is not the place anyone wants to be taking two touches. I would argue that as soon as the goalkeeper picked the ball up it had to be seen as a back pass whether it was intended to be one or not..
    I would be interested to know the actual rule. For me the intentional part is the most important.

I would be interested to know the actual rule. For me the intentional part is the most important.
    Law 12
    An indirect free kick is awarded if the goalkeeper "touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate"

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules...and-misconduct