+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Talking Point from Saturdays Game

Re: A Talking Point from Saturdays Game

The Back Pass rule was invented to prevent defenders time wasting by deliberately passing back to the GK. In this I’m not convinced a deliberate pass was intentional and certainly not to waste time. Had a free kick been awarded then perhaps the punishment would not have fitted the crime, so to speak.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
    The Back Pass rule was invented to prevent defenders time wasting by deliberately passing back to the GK. In this I’m not convinced a deliberate pass was intentional and certainly not to waste time. Had a free kick been awarded then perhaps the punishment would not have fitted the crime, so to speak.
    It was a back pass, he wanted to pass it back to his keeper so we couldn't score.

It doesn't matter why they brought it in.

Law 12
    An indirect free kick is awarded if the goalkeeper "touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate"

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It was a back pass, he wanted to pass it back to his keeper so we couldn't score.

It doesn't matter why they brought it in.

Law 12
    An indirect free kick is awarded if the goalkeeper "touches the ball with the hand/arm, unless the goalkeeper has clearly kicked or attempted to kick the ball to release it into play, after:
    it has been deliberately kicked to the goalkeeper by a team-mate"
    It wasn’t deliberate.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
    It wasn’t deliberate.

No, he just done it on purpose

It wasn’t deliberate.
    He deliberately touched the ball, the ‘keeper, as well, was guilty of turning it into a back pass by handling it.

International

It wasn’t deliberate.
    Appropriate picture, that's everyone laughing when you post.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    He deliberately touched the ball, the ‘keeper, as well, was guilty of turning it into a back pass by handling it.
    What part of it wasn’t deliberately kicked to the keeper don’t you understand? It’s clearly mis controlled, you can see that by the way the defender reacts.

Appropriate picture, that's everyone laughing when you post.
    Put the phone down for 2 minutes you’re wasting your life on here. Another 18 hour session for you today?

What part of it wasn’t deliberately kicked to the keeper don’t you understand? It’s clearly mis controlled, you can see that by the way the defender reacts.
    His reaction stinks of “oh shit, what have I done”

Guilty as shit

I don't know why the goalkeeper dpesn't just put his boot through it

Whether it was or wasn't a back pass doesn't matter. What mattered was that Darren England didn't want to be in the news again for potentially getting a contentious decision wrong, and putting himself in the spotlight.

International

Put the phone down for 2 minutes you’re wasting your life on here. Another 18 hour session for you today?
    Two minutes every few hours, then off, it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpersforGoalposts View Post
    He played it back off his calf, not his foot. The ball has to be played back deliberately with the foot to be a free kick.
    What kind of sophistry is this?

You can clearly see his left foot raised off the ground controlling the ball.

I’ve had a quick look at the ruling and it has to be deliberate. Not 100% sure it is.

It wasn’t deliberate.
    so it was an accident that he cushioned it towards the keeper then?

he's not swinging at the ball to clear it, he's looking to control it, to cushion it

Just watched a new video about Saturday’s game on You Tube (it’s probably on the club site as well) - well worth a watch anyway, but there’s the best view yet of the back pass on it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just watched a new video about Saturday’s game on You Tube (it’s probably on the club site as well) - well worth a watch anyway, but there’s the best view yet of the back pass on it.
    It's at the 3:30 mark on https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/vide...a-cc2bf408ded3

Having just watched that I'd say he cushioned the ball for the keeper to kick clear.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Good angle that (great view of Colwill's goal too). I felt at the time that Sykes had taken a touch before looking to clear it, slightly miscontrolled it, realised the keeper was coming and left him to it. I still do. I spent a while wondering when a touch becomes a pass but now I know the ball has to be deliberately passed to the keeper to make it a back pass then I'm pretty sure the ref got it right.

You'd have to be very confident to try and pass a ball towards your own goal from that distance and, surely, even Ederson wouldn't want a ball coming towards him while he's on his goal line in that situation so I don't see why Sykes would've even thought about doing that.

For all that angle is good, the extended highlights show a couple of things that it misses. Firstly, as Tanner is about to cross, Sykes quickly checks over his shoulder to see where Grant is. This makes him realise he's got time to take a touch before clearing it when the ball comes in. Secondly, Grant makes no appeal whatsoever, just looks disappointed as though he realises he should've been right on Sykes' shoulder to punish the slight miscontrol. Both Grant and the keeper seemed sure it wasn't a backpass and they were the two closest. Only Sykes knows for sure.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good angle that (great view of Colwill's goal too). I felt at the time that Sykes had taken a touch before looking to clear it, slightly miscontrolled it, realised the keeper was coming and left him to it. I still do. I spent a while wondering when a touch becomes a pass but now I know the ball has to be deliberately passed to the keeper to make it a back pass then I'm pretty sure the ref got it right.

You'd have to be very confident to try and pass a ball towards your own goal from that distance and, surely, even Ederson wouldn't want a ball coming towards him while he's on his goal line in that situation so I don't see why Sykes would've even thought about doing that.

For all that angle is good, the extended highlights show a couple of things that it misses. Firstly, as Tanner is about to cross, Sykes quickly checks over his shoulder to see where Grant is. This makes him realise he's got time to take a touch before clearing it when the ball comes in. Secondly, Grant makes no appeal whatsoever, just looks disappointed as though he realises he should've been right on Sykes' shoulder to punish the slight miscontrol. Both Grant and the keeper seemed sure it wasn't a backpass and they were the two closest. Only Sykes knows for sure.
    It was a miscontolled backpass then

It was a miscontolled backpass then
    I don't know for sure but, to be fair to me, I explained in the second paragraph why I thought Sykes wouldn't try a backpass in that situation. I also explained in detail why I thought he was trying to control it before clearing it. I also said that only Sykes knows for sure but obviously your expertise in 'expression and behaviour' means we can come straight to you for a 100% guaranteed run through of exactly what happened.

I don't know for sure but, to be fair to me, I explained in the second paragraph why I thought Sykes wouldn't try a backpass in that situation. I also explained in detail why I thought he was trying to control it before clearing it. I also said that only Sykes knows for sure but obviously your expertise in 'expression and behaviour' means we can come straight to you for a 100% guaranteed run through of exactly what happened.
    What was Sykes going to do when he ‘controlled’ it then ? Hammer it into his own net ? Because that was about the only thing he could do in his proximity to the goal and goalie. It is ridiculous to suggest that he didn't mean to pass it to the keeper because that was the only option he had available. He obviously didn't expect the goalie to pick it up and looked very sheepish when he did. I sometimes think that people deliberately look for things that aren't there to be argumentative or enjoy giving scenarios against City.

International

Fair enough

They never give them anyway, and a ref under that much pressure certainly wouldn't give it.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    What was Sykes going to do when he ‘controlled’ it then ? Hammer it into his own net ? Because that was about the only thing he could do in his proximity to the goal and goalie. It is ridiculous to suggest that he didn't mean to pass it to the keeper because that was the only option he had available. He obviously didn't expect the goalie to pick it up and looked very sheepish when he did. I sometimes think that people deliberately look for things that aren't there to be argumentative or enjoy giving scenarios against City.
    As Loramski says quite clearly, only Sykes knows what his intentions were and you feel it was intentional, which is a fair and reasonable argument.

But why oh why do you finish all your posts with the preposterous notion that we all have it in for the City. We don't. Generally we keep an open mind when discussing all things football-related, so there is no need for you to wrap a protective arm around the club every time you post.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    I assume he controlled it first precisely because he didn't want to risk hammering it into his own net, as Matip did against Spurs for example. It could've ricocheted off Ugbo or a defender too. Once he'd checked to see where Grant was he realised he had time to take that touch. As I've explained, he could've put his keeper in all kinds of trouble by attempting a backpass there, risked an own goal too. Just a happy accident for him the way it turned out, in my opinion, although he still could've cleared it himself if the keeper hadn't come out.

We won 2-0 and Colwill scored an amazing goal so why is it anti-City to say it shouldn't have been a free-kick? It's totally irrelevant now regarding the game. Grant didn't even appeal for it, does that mean he 'enjoys scenarios that go against City'?

It was an interesting incident I hadn't come across before, I'm still a bit confused by the rule to be honest. If Sykes had signalled and called out to his keeper then trapped the ball absolutely stone dead, would that have constituted a backpass even though the ball didn't move? Obviously for you, that would depend on whether the decision went for or against City.