+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wales HS2 funding Petition

Re: Wales HS2 funding Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    no, we are being conned out of billions of pounds that we are owed that we could spend on rail infrastructure
    I don't think so. The Welsh Assembly contributed to their own downfall on this matter :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-ever-27837964

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I don't think so. The Welsh Assembly contributed to their own downfall on this matter :

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-ever-27837964
    ....which is why there's a petition

So why not point the blame at them then , take your blinkers off

Wales isn't getting this money because, unlike Scotland, rail infrastructure spending isn't devolved to Cardiff Bay meaning there is no obligation on ministers in London to provide exactly equivalent funding to Wales as they are providing to projects in England. What is little known is that the reason rail infrastructure spending is not devolved is in large part because of a decision of the then Welsh Assembly Government nearly 20 years ago - a decision one academic calls the "biggest mistake the Welsh Government ever made".

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Wales isn't getting this money because, unlike Scotland, rail infrastructure spending isn't devolved to Cardiff Bay meaning there is no obligation on ministers in London to provide exactly equivalent funding to Wales as they are providing to projects in England. What is little known is that the reason rail infrastructure spending is not devolved is in large part because of a decision of the then Welsh Assembly Government nearly 20 years ago - a decision one academic calls the "biggest mistake the Welsh Government ever made".
    they are not OBLIGED to give Wales it's fair share of the money, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't decide to, hence the petition.

they are not OBLIGED to give Wales it's fair share of the money, but that doesn't mean that they couldn't decide to, hence the petition.
    Probably because they know it will be wasted

Let's not forget Westminster's refusal for the Crown Estate in Wales to be devolved, depriving us of extra funding, but some would rather Westminster get everything and Wales be totally ruled by England.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Let's not forget Westminster's refusal for the Crown Estate in Wales to be devolved, depriving us of extra funding, but some would rather Westminster get everything and Wales be totally ruled by England.
    How would Wales generate its own income if devolved, I mean tourism is a good start but Drakeford has not exactly been generous in that particular industry?

If the current tory lot are booted out , we get a decent moderate government and a vote to return power to Westminster is brought forward then I think I would prefer that than the shambles we have at the moment

I voted for the assembly but I wouldn't vote for it again I think they are all an embarrassment, right across the parties

There's a handful of representatives there that have had any shape on them but no more than that

Rodri Morgan ? Jesus christ , absolutely hopeless

Carwyn Jones had a bit of charisma but drakeford and the rest of the Tories and Plaid?

Adam Price ? Eluned Morgan ?

Hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    As usual the tories on here win gold in mental gymnastics.

A chance to get £5 billion to improve transport in Wales 'nah it'd be wasted'.

They then whinge wondering why public transport is bad.
    where is this £5bn figure come from?

you do realise that the funding for HS2 was to be borrowed and paid back over 50 years. You're talking about £100m per annum, not £5bn in one go.

and transport is a devolved matter.

Wales does not to very well all things considered - we get hardly any infrastructure spending compared to parts of England.
    and we do well compared to other parts..

the Severn bridge wasn't Barnett funded as it was completed a long time before the Barnett formula was introduced.
    yes, but it was the same pot back then, so you're talking semantics.

the second Severn crossing wasn't either, it was privately funded with the operators then allowed to make a massive profit from the tolls to pay it off.
    no one made massive profits, and if I remember correctly, the tolls were paid coming into Wales, so it was money coming from England to Wales.

basically the people of Wales have ended up paying for it.
    any evidence that only the people of Wales paid thetolls?

an awful decision which I think should be investigated as it represented such poor value for the taxpayer, I'm sure there was some skulduggery going on there.
    earlier you said it was privately funded, now you're saying it was poor value for the taxpayer. make your mind up.
    Cardiff bay barrage was built more than 20 years ago for about £200 million - that doesn't seem like a good reason for Wales to forgo billions of infrastructure spending today.
    but no one was complaining back then about Barnett consequences etc etc...

why would the crown estate be devolved? There is no legal mechanism since the Crowns legal persona represents England and Wales, in the same way it represents Scotland too.

So nothing to do with Barnett, but all to do with the incompetence of Welsh Labour.

How would Wales generate its own income if devolved, I mean tourism is a good start but Drakeford has not exactly been generous in that particular industry?
    The Crown estate in Scotland is devolved, meaning the profit it makes stays in Scotland. Ours heads back to England.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    why would the crown estate be devolved? There is no legal mechanism since the Crowns legal persona represents England and Wales, in the same way it represents Scotland too.
    https://www.crownestatescotland.com/...ey-information it was devolved a few years ago, so Scottish profit stays in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    If the current tory lot are booted out , we get a decent moderate government and a vote to return power to Westminster is brought forward then I think I would prefer that than the shambles we have at the moment

I voted for the assembly but I wouldn't vote for it again I think they are all an embarrassment, right across the parties

There's a handful of representatives there that have had any shape on them but no more than that

Rodri Morgan ? Jesus christ , absolutely hopeless

Carwyn Jones had a bit of charisma but drakeford and the rest of the Tories and Plaid?

Adam Price ? Eluned Morgan ?

Hopeless
    All of those care more about Wales than anyone in Westminster, which is also full of useless cretins.

I'd rather Wales decide what is best for Wales rather than another country, whose first interest is always themselves.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Isn’t true that as soon as the proposed funding make up was on the table for debate that the WAG should have been much stronger about not allowing the Westminster bandits to get away with defrauding the citizens of Wales.

Let’s have the truth on the record and on the table so that we can see which one of the incompetent individuals is responsible for this almighty fk up.

Now there is no chance of getting any of that funding returned because ‘they’ have already earmarked it for spending elsewhere and it’s not in Wales. North or South

All of those care more about Wales than anyone in Westminster, which is also full of useless cretins.

I'd rather Wales decide what is best for Wales rather than another country, whose first interest is always themselves.
    .like 20mph, longest NHS waiting lists, worst road infrastructure, not spending £millions given to them, alienating 80% of it's population ? Decisions like that ?

I don't think singing the national anthem before a rugby game makes rhodri morgan any more suitable to run Wales than anyone else

If the people of Wales were given the chance to vote on the assembly again then I would use my vote to go back to what we had initially .....some devolved powers

I would be more than happy with a UK labour or liberal government appointment an English MP to oversee Wales , its wether or not they do a good job that matters

I am sure Adam Price is a decent bloke and cares about Wales but he's better off rambling up and down the hills with Derek Brockway than running a country

I don't think singing the national anthem before a rugby game makes rhodri morgan any more suitable to run Wales than anyone else

If the people of Wales were given the chance to vote on the assembly again then I would use my vote to go back to what we had initially .....some devolved powers

I would be more than happy with a UK labour or liberal government appointment an English MP to oversee Wales , its wether or not they do a good job that matters

I am sure Adam Price is a decent bloke and cares about Wales but he's better off rambling up and down the hills with Derek Brockway than running a country
    How often does the UK get a Labour or Liberal government? Not often. England is largely a Tory voting country.

Thankfully you won't get your wish. There is no high level of public opinion wanting rid of the Welsh Government. In the last opinion poll, there was as much opinion to give the Welsh Government more powers.

Exactly, always makes me laugh when people criticise Welsh politicians as if they're uniquely useless when you've got that shambles up in Westminster

I think it speaks to the lack of confidence Welsh people have in Wales, I can't think of many countries who would be slagging off their own politicians in favour of ones from the country next door. Adam Price went to Harvard University and Sludge reckons all he's good for is walking around hills with a weatherman! Fortunately this lack of confidence seems to be disappearing with the younger generations

The original devolution settlement was a shambles, what we have now is far from perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than what we got originally, it was completely dysfunctional and made no sense at all. Fortunately very few people want to go back to it

The problem isn’t the Senedd, it’s Welsh Labour. I can’t stand the tories but the ‘one and a half party state’ we’ve ended up with breeds complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    where is this £5bn figure come from?

you do realise that the funding for HS2 was to be borrowed and paid back over 50 years. You're talking about £100m per annum, not £5bn in one go.

and transport is a devolved matter.
    https://www.newcivilengineer.com/lat...re-12-05-2023/

Yes great £100m per year fantastic what a gotcha.

How is transport being devolved matter? All that matters here is budget and where does the Welsh Government get its budget from...? Another great gotcha from you!

Welsh Government: Taxpayers 'let down' after Wales failed to spend £150m The money was lost by the government due to "poor account management" according to a Senedd Committee

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2023-...end-it-in-time

The Welsh Government wasted £144m on M4 relief road - MORE than £80 million of Welsh taxpayer's money was spent on drawing up proposals for the scrapped M4 relief road, while £10.72 million was used to buy land where the road would have been built

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/ne...ief-road-went/

Senedd: 36 more Welsh Parliament members could cost extra £18m per year

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66807278
    All the more reason to have this £5b isn’t it?