+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 3 cheers for City's defence

3 cheers for City's defence

Here's a stat you probably never thought you'd read. Our current defensive record over the last 10 league games, where we've kept 6 clean sheets and only conceded 6 goals, is our joint 56th best record over a 10 league game period in the same season. That is out of any of the 3,310 10 successive game periods in the league in our club's history, so it's in the top 1.7% of any 10 league game spells in our history.

I'm sure you'll all be texting your mates with this vital information over the coming hours, but a quick quiz question - can anyone suggest a season where we managed 8 clean sheets in 10 games? We haven't seen that since 2000, but the last two occasions were in the 70s and 90s.

Re: 3 cheers for City's defence

Bulut made a point of saying defending starts from the front and scoring starts from the back (Goalkeeper).

He wants a team, and as I read many times on here when we are losing is the minimal we expect is giving 100% which Bulut seems to be driving into the team from every position, everyone seems to be working harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Here's a stat you probably never thought you'd read. Our current defensive record over the last 10 league games, where we've kept 6 clean sheets and only conceded 6 goals, is our joint 56th best record over a 10 league game period in the same season. That is out of any of the 3,310 10 successive game periods in the league in our club's history, so it's in the top 1.7% of any 10 league game spells in our history.

I'm sure you'll all be texting your mates with this vital information over the coming hours, but a quick quiz question - can anyone suggest a season where we managed 8 clean sheets in 10 games? We haven't seen that since 2000, but the last two occasions were in the 70s and 90s.
    One of them would have been at the end of our 75/76 promotion season I’d have thought - I think we only conceded one goal in our last seven games that year. Not sure about the nineties one, wouldn’t have thought it was in 92/93, maybe towards the end of 98/99?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    One of them would have been at the end of our 75/76 promotion season I’d have thought - I think we only conceded one goal in our last seven games that year. Not sure about the nineties one, wouldn’t have thought it was in 92/93, maybe towards the end of 98/99?
    You're right on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Bulut made a point of saying defending starts from the front and scoring starts from the back (Goalkeeper).

He wants a team, and as I read many times on here when we are losing is the minimal we expect is giving 100% which Bulut seems to be driving into the team from every position, everyone seems to be working harder.
    They used to say Ian Rush was a great defender

From my seat at yesterdays game - we looked very confident in defence, can hit on the counter attack and can play it around in midfield.
    For the first time in a long time it's enjoyable to watch. When that happens it usually means we will be successful ie a top 10 finish

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    From my seat at yesterdays game - we looked very confident in defence, can hit on the counter attack and can play it around in midfield.
    For the first time in a long time it's enjoyable to watch. When that happens it usually means we will be successful ie a top 10 finish
    lets hope so !

at the start of the season we were very cavalier going forward but leaking a lot of goals but now looks like Buluts team is a bit more conservative going forward but when we go forward we go in numbers . Far more controlled in the last few games

Hip hip....

For the first time in a long time I am feeling very optimistic. Defence seems sorted out.....some way to go in attack...but hey ho January beckons.
    Bulut comes across as someone who know what he is doing (for a change..).... we have an number of youngsters on the cusp....and with January transfer window to come we will be up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    For the first time in a long time I am feeling very optimistic. Defence seems sorted out.....some way to go in attack...but hey ho January beckons.
    Bulut comes across as someone who know what he is doing (for a change..).... we have an number of youngsters on the cusp....and with January transfer window to come we will be up there.
    It is looking good for now, but it is the lack of cover that concerns me. Although I'm sure there will be incomers in January and by then O'Dowda will hopefully be fit - and stay fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    It is looking good for now, but it is the lack of cover that concerns me. Although I'm sure there will be incomers in January and by then O'Dowda will hopefully be fit - and stay fit.
    O’Dowda will be like having a new signing once fit
    Just need a good number 9, another midfielder and cover at the back

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    O’Dowda will be like having a new signing once fit
    Just need a good number 9, another midfielder and cover at the back
    I'd prefer O'Dowda instead of Grant if he's fit

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I'd prefer O'Dowda instead of Grant if he's fit
    I would have agreed with you, but the last two games, Grant has been really good, probably just ahead of Ng for MOTM yesterday
    Competition for places can only be good for the team

Oh yes .

Successful sides build from the back it supplies confidence into the play of others in front of them, they then express themselves more positively, rather than curtail thier natural forward linking game , to helping out in defence ..

Grant has impressed me with his defensive work over the last few games.
    I think he is inclined to connect with Robinson, but a fit O’Dowda will add more of a threat.

First half Collins, looked all over the place (I still think he is feeling the effects of the injury that he had).

He was back to himself in the second half, but I wouldn’t be averse to giving Panzo a shot on the left against Norwich.