+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T The Longest Day of the Year

O/T The Longest Day of the Year

My missus is insisting that it was June 21st this year, I’m saying that it might have been midsummer’s day with the longest daylight but, surely, the longest day this year and every year is the day that the clocks go back. In this year’s case October 29th, 25 hours in that day and it follows that the shortest day is the day the clocks go forward with 23 hours.
    She’s smugly Googled it and they all say June 21st, am I missing something?

Re: O/T The Longest Day of the Year

The longest day of the year,which is in June, refers to the amount of light we have on that day. The shortest day is normally the 21st of December, where we have the least amount of light.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    The longest day of the year,which is in June, refers to the amount of light we have on that day. The shortest day is normally the 21st of December, where we have the least amount of light.
    That’s what I said, midsummer’s day may be the day with the longest daylight but the 25 hour day in October is definitely one hour longer. Regardless of daylight, a day is always referred to as being 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    My missus is insisting that it was June 21st this year, I’m saying that it might have been midsummer’s day with the longest daylight but, surely, the longest day this year and every year is the day that the clocks go back. In this year’s case October 29th, 25 hours in that day and it follows that the shortest day is the day the clocks go forward with 23 hours.
    You're both correct, She gave the date (which can change 1 day either way, and you gave the title.

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    Which is the longest day in the southern hemisphere, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Which is the longest day in the southern hemisphere, of course.
    And all because of the Tilt of the Earth.

In terms of daylight, the longest/shortest days are generally accepted to be 21 June and 21 December.
    Most people believe that these days have the earliest sunrise and latest sunset in June and the opposite in December.
    But if you plot sunrise and sunset times on a graph, you will find that the extremes are about a eek either side of those dates.
    Strange but true.

But the op is correct.
    In terms of hours, the longest and shortest days are when we bugger about with the clocks.

BTW, Newton was wrong.
    There is no gravity.
    The Earth sucks.

Clocks are not really the arbiter of what a day really is. They were designed to try and fit in with the Earth's rotation and not to define it. Changing them twice a year doesn't stop or accelerate the Earth's rotation and positional relation to the sun.

Dear Splott,
    The answer my friend is blowin’ in the wind.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/earth-rotation.html
    ATB, Mike

Sometimes the longest day can be on the 20th or 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Sometimes the longest day can be on the 20th or 22nd.
    Or Christmas Day with the relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by oxblue View Post
    Dear Splott,
    The answer my friend is blowin’ in the wind.
    https://www.timeanddate.com/time/earth-rotation.html
    ATB, Mike
    I’m calling a stewards enquiry I put in 29th October 2023 and it came up 24 hours + a few micro seconds. Well it was definitely 25 hours + the micro seconds in my house, otherwise it would now be nearly ten past eleven today. My missus has told me to shut up on the matter

I’m calling a stewards enquiry I put in 29th October 2023 and it came up 24 hours + a few micro seconds. Well it was definitely 25 hours + the micro seconds in my house, otherwise it would now be nearly ten past eleven today. My missus has told me to shut up on the matter
    Listen to your missus, you won't win, in fact, you won't even come 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    If she believes that women are from Venus and men are from Mars do inform her that Venusian days (360 degree rotation on its axis) are actually longer than Venusian years (a circuit of the sun).

According to the film, it was the 6th June 1944

I’ve currently got a bronze medal around my neck

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    If she believes that women are from Venus and men are from Mars do inform her that Venusian days (360 degree rotation on its axis) are actually longer than Venusian years (a circuit of the sun).
    Not a good idea. If you stump them with a really good answer then they go 'Rogue' they go off topic and bring something up from 20 years ago. You flip out, insult them, and they win the argument. That's the rules.

International

Yes your wife is right!

Not a good idea. If you stump them with a really good answer then they go 'Rogue' they go off topic and bring something up from 20 years ago. You flip out, insult them, and they win the argument. That's the rules.
    I gets, “You were always a bloody swot in school, that’s why I ignored you’……we left Lady Mary in 1970!!’

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes your wife is right!
    your wife is right even when she is wrong!!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    your wife is right even when she is wrong!!!
    Unfortunately correct

Easier to argue with these lot than her

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    BTW, Newton was wrong.
    There is no gravity.
    The Earth sucks.
    Oi, this is my territory 😂😂

Just as an aside, I've recently been looking at the ancestry of a British soldier who was a prisoner of war at the end of WW1 and who contracted 'flu shortly afterwards and died in Germany. The thing is that he died very close to midnight in late November 1918 and as a result, depending on whether one's viewpoint is British or German, his date of death is correctly either 24th or 25th of November.

And as a further aside, after more than a century of not knowing - and his mother probably dying soon after in part because of her grief and the circumstances of his death, DNA matching has just revealed that he had a daughter after he had been stationed on the Isle of Wight. The DNA match is a well-known figure in British pop music, having been the one who transcribed 'Yesterday' after Macca's dream, lodged with the Ashers, played guitar for Peter and Gordon and courted Olivia Newton John for the first year of her life in the UK.

This is a story that will no doubt find its way onto the printed page...

June 21st is not mid summer. It's the start of summer. Mid summer is August 7th.