+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Players Who Looked Old Even When They Were Young

Re: Players Who Looked Old Even When They Were Young

As a lad I attended my first professional football match (in the old first division) in 1953 at Fratton Park. Pompey were in their pomp winning the FA Cup and Div One around this time and challenging for the title again in 1955.

My memory of the day was being seperated from Dad and passed down the crowd over their heads to the front from which I could hardly see over the concrete wall. But my most vivid memory was how old the players looked. Many were full English internationals and of course Jimmy Schooler was still with the club. Many were probably smokers - and it wasn't that long after the deprivations of WW2 - but their faces were so gaunt. It was a different world - and maybe goes some way to explaining why footballers like Fred Keenor look so ancient to modern-day eyes.

moyes.jpg I know it's fake but still gives me a giggle
    Last edited by fingers; 10-11-23 at 12:58. Reason: The swan escaped

Gaz is looking rough.

bale old.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    As a lad I attended my first professional football match (in the old first division) in 1953 at Fratton Park. Pompey were in their pomp winning the FA Cup and Div One around this time and challenging for the title again in 1955.

My memory of the day was being seperated from Dad and passed down the crowd over their heads to the front from which I could hardly see over the concrete wall. But my most vivid memory was how old the players looked. Many were full English internationals and of course Jimmy Schooler was still with the club. Many were probably smokers - and it wasn't that long after the deprivations of WW2 - but their faces were so gaunt. It was a different world - and maybe goes some way to explaining why footballers like Fred Keenor look so ancient to modern-day eyes.
    Jimmy Who????

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Gaz is looking rough.

bale old.jpg

Is this some app you've used to age a picture or some proper artwork?

Brilliant picture 👏

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Pat Jennings

Gordon Banks

Kav

Stantona
    Terry Mancini

Derek Hogg.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Also managed Palace
    I met a Doctor at a corporate hospitality event at Ascot who had been doing Lombardo's medical for joining Palace earlier that day. He said he was the fittest footballer he had ever tested and that they had to keep "enhancing" the test to try and get his heart rate up to a sufficient level to get any meaningful recovery data.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Jimmy Who????
    @splutting parker: least I saw him play...

Roger Milla. Although i think he was just really old when he burst into public consciousness and his age was understated at that time.

He’s the only player I’ve seen score from a cross/pass to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    @splutting parker: least I saw him play...
    I’d have loved to have seen him, Siklopps, bit of a beast apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    Derek Hogg.
    I mentioned young Derek further up the thread

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    Roger Milla. Although i think he was just really old when he burst into public consciousness and his age was understated at that time.

He’s the only player I’ve seen score from a cross/pass to himself.
    After receiving a pass from Jamilu Collins, Rubin Colwill passed the ball to himself, then played a through ball to himself, then did a hop-skip, and a leap-and a-bound between two players, before smashing the ball into the back-of-the-net against Bristol City the other week.

The more I think about it, the more I rank it up there with John Buchannon’s goal against Swansea Town all those years ago.
    Maybe after Rubin retires, I might have a re-evaluation and move it up above my all-time (along with Whitts) City hero’s goal.

Ernie Curtis was 19 when he played in the 27 Cup Final, but in every photo I've seen of him, he looks about 40. Times were hard in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfSiamIAm View Post
    After receiving a pass from Jamilu Collins, Rubin Colwill passed the ball to himself, then played a through ball to himself, then did a hop-skip, and a leap-and a-bound between two players, before smashing the ball into the back-of-the-net against Bristol City the other week.

The more I think about it, the more I rank it up there with John Buchannon’s goal against Swansea Town all those years ago.
    Maybe after Rubin retires, I might have a re-evaluation and move it up above my all-time (along with Whitts) City hero’s goal.
    Hmm. Not sure if Colwill’s was a pass.

Roger’s was more of a through-ball/cross

Jonny Williams

Alan Gilzean.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Alan Gilzean.
    Dai Davies 👴

Any players from the 1920's and 1930's, looked like you had to be 38 or so before you could play football.