+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manolis Siopsis - living the dream

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Manolis Siopsis - living the dream

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67383964

Another legend in the making

It’s been a long time since we had a midfielder in this mould

Re: Manolis Siopsis - living the dream

"What I cannot explain is the atmosphere here. The people watch the football in another way. It's not the same in Greece or in Turkey."

Do you think he means the atmospheres worse? You’d think so, it’s crackers in Turkey. Im sure he appreciates the noise we make away though.

Swansea's Bashir Humphreys "appreciated" the atmosphere at CCS
    "Humphreys on Cardiff animosity
    Swansea City's on-loan star Bashir Humphreys has likened the animosity he received while playing for England out in Argentina to the hostility he faced in the South Wales derby with Cardiff.

The Chelsea defender was part of England's U20 World Cup squad out in Argentina, where he was told his side were the "most hated" team there, owing to the history and rivalry between the two countries. Humphreys spoke about the abuse and jeers he and his team-mates received out in Argentina and believes it's the worst he's been subjected to in his fledgling career. Although Cardiff, he says, is up there."
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-star-28077048

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post
    "What I cannot explain is the atmosphere here. The people watch the football in another way. It's not the same in Greece or in Turkey."

Do you think he means the atmospheres worse? You’d think so, it’s crackers in Turkey. Im sure he appreciates the noise we make away though.
    Probably, but aren't the attendances (outside the biggest clubs) pretty low in Turkey & Greece?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Probably, but aren't the attendances (outside the biggest clubs) pretty low in Turkey & Greece?
    Yes, we get more fans than all bar the big 3 Istanbul clubs

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/t...ig/attendances

Quote Originally Posted by BlueArmy 86 View Post

Manager's (and fans) blue eyed boy.
    Two huge Derby wins, the team playing some of the best stuff city fans have seen for years particularly at home with he the talisman.
    Teammates all pulling in the same direction and playoff contenders.

Life's good when you're winning.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Manager's (and fans) blue eyed boy.
    Two huge Derby wins, the team playing some of the best stuff city fans have seen for years particularly at home with he the talisman.
    Teammates all pulling in the same direction and playoff contenders.

Life's good when you're winning.

Paid €250,000 out of his own pocket to get here. Not a usual thing for a sportsman to do.

After his first few matches for us, I likened him to Gary Medel but now I've seen more of him, I actually rate him higher.

He's quick, aggressive, technically good and in a pain in the arse.

I know it was a while ago now, but he completely took his Swansea opposite number out of the game in the Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Paid €250,000 out of his own pocket to get here. Not a usual thing for a sportsman to do.
    Yep, went to the cash point, drew it out of his current account and paid it. The moon’s made of cheese as well

We’ve been crying out for a player like this since Gunnarsson

Not sure how true these claims of him losing out financial are though

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    We’ve been crying out for a player like this since Gunnarsson

Not sure how true these claims of him losing out financial are though
    I think it’s safe to say he’s been compensated elsewhere be it through his wages or a bonus etc. although does sound like it wasn’t as straight forward as a normal free transfer. He had to want to make it happen.

He’s been great though, totally changes the look of the team, we no longer look so static and the type of player he is can be infection for others around him.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I think it’s safe to say he’s been compensated elsewhere be it through his wages or a bonus etc. although does sound like it wasn’t as straight forward as a normal free transfer. He had to want to make it happen.

He’s been great though, totally changes the look of the team, we no longer look so static and the type of player he is can be infection for others around him.
    When he signed it was claimed in the press that he bought himself out of his contract to make the move happen.

In the press conference on Thursday he said something a bit different. It wasn't completely clear (something was lost in translation) but I understood that he refused a large pay rise by Trabzonspor to extend his contract with them, and also gave up two months pay at the existing contract rate to enable him to come to Cardiff without any delays. So there was some financial sacrifice at the Turkish end - bit not exactly buying out his contract.

I'm sure the club have worked within the letter of the EFL transfer restriction with Sio - if not the spirit. There can't have been a signing on fee when he arrived, but as others have said, it is unlikely he will have been seriously out of pocket over the longer term.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    When he signed it was claimed in the press that he bought himself out of his contract to make the move happen.

In the press conference on Thursday he said something a bit different. It wasn't completely clear (something was lost in translation) but I understood that he refused a large pay rise by Trabzonspor to extend his contract with them, and also gave up two months pay at the existing contract rate to enable him to come to Cardiff without any delays. So there was some financial sacrifice at the Turkish end - bit not exactly buying out his contract.

I'm sure the club have worked within the letter of the EFL transfer restriction with Sio - if not the spirit. There can't have been a signing on fee when he arrived, but as others have said, it is unlikely he will have been seriously out of pocket over the longer term.
    Maybe a loyalty bonus which I understand is usually covered over the term of a players contract so the first installment wouldn’t be paid until the summer when the ban is already over.
    Or they just topped up his wage to cover whenever he lost.

Either way just goes to show there are some gems out there, really does feel like a lot of effort went into this window and fair play to the managers and transfer committee (or whatever we have now) considering we couldn’t pay any kind of fee for me it was very impressive window.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

Love it. Love him even more now.

Guess I'm going to Thessaloniki then.

Wasn’t at the races today, quite poor by the standards he’s set.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Wasn’t at the races today, quite poor by the standards he’s set.
    His worst performance for us so far I thought.

By a long way, to be fair Norwich bypassed the midfield a lot especially down Romeo’s side but felt like he was chasing shadows for most of it.

Great energy, inspiring to the other players on the pitch especially when they tire...

however, his pass success rate (when not 5yards or backwards) must be abysmal

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    Great energy, inspiring to the other players on the pitch especially when they tire...

however, his pass success rate (when not 5yards or backwards) must be abysmal
    Really? Maybe today but generally I think it’s decent.