+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff - City of the Year

Re: Cardiff - City of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Further evidence in this thread that the views of this message board are not representative of anything much at all.
    Grew up in canton and moved away when I was 21 but love coming back and think it's a great city - would move back in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Edinburgh, Bristol, Portsmouth, Southampton, Norwich, Reading/Slough area and Swansea, plus a few others - only ever paid flying visits to Yorkshire and the north east. Cardiff compares well to most of them I’d say.
    You have had stays long enough in those cities to make that comparison ?

I would say you have to have experienced a place over more than a brief visit

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've always thought Cardiff was a great city and a great place to live. Although it's not as big as some of the cities mentioned. It's still a capital city. And there's plenty going on.
    Yes but the capital city thing is just a handle or a title

It's not as if it has any kind of big city cultural status

I think it's a fine city that punches well above its weight. Has far more going on in general than other comparable places.

No it can't really compete with far larger cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Cardiff has far more facilities than a city of its size would have because it's a capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty Foggon View Post
    If people did their pooh-poohing elsewhere, Cardiff would be a much nicer city.
    On the other side of the bridge?

Cardiff has far more facilities than a city of its size would have because it's a capital.
    I'd say the only reason Cardiff hosted a Champions League final (and the plethora of other major events that visit) is because it's a capital city, we pull in lots of events thanks to that, and people love visiting for them.

It doesn't have the edge that Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle , Liverpool have

I think that's because they are bigger cities with a lot more going on

Bristol is certainly more hip than Cardiff

I think if Cardiff was bigger it would be more vibrant

In some ways it's very conservative , with a small c

Bands wise it's crap
    In 10 years I reckon the population of cardiff and Bristol won’t be far off….we are growing a lot whereas Bristol isn’t so much, it’s probably big enough and certainly struggles with traffic issues. It does however have a far more spread out centre with venues and pubs all over the place. Cardiff is getting a bit more like this with places like tramshed, globe, stuff in the bay and the city centre itself.
    There’s always been a lot more wealth in Bristol, loads of very posh wealthy students who often stay on too but I think the gap is narrowing and plenty of wurzels and students head over this way now as mentioned on this thread.

I'm glad Cardiff us not a sprawling metropolis with no defined city centre. Although, why Cardiff was deemed to be a smaller city than Newcastle by Sludge is rather odd considering we have a larger population and square mileage. Tyneside as a whole is larger but not Newcastle itself.

I totally agree with an earlier poster who identified public transport as a major issue. In fact it is totally embarrassing, coupled with the complete dog's breakfast the council has made with the relocation of the central bus station. Is Frank Spencer in charge of planning ?

First Team

In the 70's Cardiff was a dump.
    Since then it has come on in leaps and bounds.
    It may not compare to some but you could do far worse and by some margin.
    Then again why do we need to compare as most cities have their own quirks both good and bad.
    I quite like Bristol and even (parts of ) Swansea although struggling with Newport.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    How many cities do you know that are prioritising car access as part of their transport infrastructure?
    I'm not sure, Bristol is a good City but has similar transport issues, they were building some sort of metro last time I was working there regularly, the people there hated that red trouser knob and hate that Marvin Rees too, so maybe they are more like us than we know.

I like Newcastle, I worked there for a year, great place, and a good metro system. good football ground and good fans and people.

Getting into the center was very good compared to here, in the car and miles better on the bus or metro.

Swansea is terrible, they should knock it down and start again, and Newport and Bridgend are probably worse.

It wouldn't take much planning to make getting into the City car parks miles easier and it would give Cardiff economy a big boost.

Whatever else differences there may be, public transport is much much better in Cardiff than Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Whatever else differences there may be, public transport is much much better in Cardiff than Bristol.
    not in the east of the city as been mentioned a few times on here recently !

as for Cardiff itself i would put it in the the top 5 cities in the UK .

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I'm not sure, Bristol is a good City but has similar transport issues, they were building some sort of metro last time I was working there regularly, the people there hated that red trouser knob and hate that Marvin Rees too, so maybe they are more like us than we know.

I like Newcastle, I worked there for a year, great place, and a good metro system. good football ground and good fans and people.

Getting into the center was very good compared to here, in the car and miles better on the bus or metro.

Swansea is terrible, they should knock it down and start again, and Newport and Bridgend are probably worse.

It wouldn't take much planning to make getting into the City car parks miles easier and it would give Cardiff economy a big boost.
    I doubt you'll find one. My point is that all city centres are looking at alternatives to ramming their roads full of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    100%. Bristol's bus network must be one of the most complained about in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

Agreed. The east of Cardiff is appallingly served, esp by rail. Welsh Govt have a huge decision to make on the Parkway station proposal.

Nonetheless, overall, public transport is much better here.

What are you talking about? It's the seat of government. Cardiff has the Sennedd, the Welsh National Opera, the UK's 4th biggest stadium, international rugby and football, the Arts Council of Wales, the Welsh National Theatre, music venues of all sizes, a fantastic city centre and more. And in case you haven't noticed, a Norman castle right in the centre of town. Is that enough culture for you?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What are you talking about? It's the seat of government. Cardiff has the Sennedd, the Welsh National Opera, the UK's 4th biggest stadium, international rugby and football, the Arts Council of Wales, the Welsh National Theatre, music venues of all sizes, a fantastic city centre and more. And in case you haven't noticed, a Norman castle right in the centre of town. Is that enough culture for you?
    The civic centre is one of the best in Europe (city hall, museum etc)

I don't live there any more, but i meet people that have been there as tourists or students at the university and they love Cardiff. Not quite the same city i grew up in when you were wary of a spanking getting home from Tito's

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I'd say the only reason Cardiff hosted a Champions League final (and the plethora of other major events that visit) is because it's a capital city, we pull in lots of events thanks to that, and people love visiting for them.
    I'd say having a 75,000 seater stadium, that has a retractable roof, plays a large part in attracting such events.

It's like a Stoke, Coventry , Nottingham with a few extras basically

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    It needs a tidy up but I'd actually say the civic centre is one of the best in the world. No city would turn it down. It would be a major feature in the middle of any global city

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I'm glad Cardiff us not a sprawling metropolis with no defined city centre. Although, why Cardiff was deemed to be a smaller city than Newcastle by Sludge is rather odd considering we have a larger population and square mileage. Tyneside as a whole is larger but not Newcastle itself.

I totally agree with an earlier poster who identified public transport as a major issue. In fact it is totally embarrassing, coupled with the complete dog's breakfast the council has made with the relocation of the central bus station. Is Frank Spencer in charge of planning ?
    It's a far smaller urban centre than Newcastle

The train station , shopping centres , Chinatown, arena , everything about Newcastle says major urban centre

Cardiff isn't

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post

That's an opinion , because you live here

Going to have to do better than that

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Again that's an opinion

The architecture in Liverpool , Leeds , Bradford , Glasgow , Manchester is equally impressive