+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff - City of the Year

Re: Cardiff - City of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The civic centre is one of the best in Europe (city hall, museum etc)

It's cut off from the rump of the centre of the city and hardly a place that people congegate in. You need to travel more in Europe, methinks.

By the way, the immediate view after exiting Cardiff General is pretty soulless. An opportunity squandered regarding first impressions. Bring back Astey's!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Nevertheless it seems that Cardiff Central is a busier station than Sheffield Midland, Newcastle and Bristol TM: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Great_Britain.

And far busier than cities of a similar size such as Coventry, Stoke, Nottingham etc.
    Most of those journeys are commuter travel on the valleys lines

Cardiff doesn't have the inter City services that Bristol , Leeds , Newcastle etc has

It's out of the way

You only have to look at the size of Cardiff Central compared to other cities on Google to realise its not a major transport hub

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Does anyone bar a few lost goths like the rock shit you listen to? Isn’t that what the moon club on womanby street doe or one of those places along there? That’s enough isn’t it? Strangely, when I lived in Bristol for 4 years I found myself coming back here quite a lot as there seemed to be a lot more going on. I can’t stand the carling academy either…..
    Fuel ......metal , not goths

All we have is cardiff University and the CIA and for nostalgia and up coming bands , the tramshed

It's really poor

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It's cut off from the rump of the centre of the city and hardly a place that people congegate in. You need to travel more in Europe, methinks.

By the way, the immediate view after exiting Cardiff General is pretty soulless. An opportunity squandered regarding first impressions. Bring back Astey's!
    Oh come on what about the BBC Wales building !

the civic centre is classy but as you say its out of the way

If it was in the middle of the city centre , say opposite Central station .....then it would be a place to chill , have open air stuff

As it is its very underused apart from the summer office workers

I don't think a lot of people gravitate there which is a shame

Birmingham and Leeds have some lovely central civic buildings and park areas

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Maybe, but couldn't they have made it look amazing and redeveloped all around?

Either way it has to be replaced.
    I think they've done a decent job of it so far, considering the wider area redevelopment isn't complete and the Brains site and the entire of Dumballs Road area is now being redevelopment extensively.

One thing I would say in classic Cardiff Council fashion is that any serious redevelopment of the train station itself is now probably going to be very lacklustre and certainly nowhere near the original renders that were released a few years ago. They've penned the station in too much with developments, it should've been the first thing done. Maybe the new station slated for Newport Road and the private funded station in St Mellons (if that ever happens) will carry the load to allow for a complete closure and redevelopment of central, which is desperately needed.

Central Station needs a New Street/Kings Cross style redevleopment making it almost a destination in its own right.

Oh and a direct link to the airport, which is utterly ridiculous to not already exist, but here I am digressing.

yes you're quite right, it would be nice to tie it on more with the city centre.

Cardiff's problem is that it isn't quite big enough to keep both ends of town thriving at the same time. one bit will get some renovation and be on the up and the other end will go to shit, then a few years later it's vice versa.
    perhaps with the expansion of Cardiff and the planned metro giving better connectivity then it can support a better city centre.

there is a real lack of interesting architecture in Cardiff compared to a lot of cities of a similar size - which is just down to the fact we were a fairly inconsequential market town until relatively late.
    that weakness COULD become a strength though - we could encourage new buildings with good architecture, as there aren't many buildings in Cardiff that are really worth keeping compared to other cities. the trouble is, most new builds are not built to last and look terrible anyway

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Most of those journeys are commuter travel on the valleys lines

Cardiff doesn't have the inter City services that Bristol , Leeds , Newcastle etc has

It's out of the way

You only have to look at the size of Cardiff Central compared to other cities on Google to realise its not a major transport hub
    We're just sharing facts here Sludge.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    I think they've done a decent job of it so far, considering the wider area redevelopment isn't complete and the Brains site and the entire of Dumballs Road area is now being redevelopment extensively.

One thing I would say in classic Cardiff Council fashion is that any serious redevelopment of the train station itself is now probably going to be very lacklustre and certainly nowhere near the original renders that were released a few years ago. They've penned the station in too much with developments, it should've been the first thing done. Maybe the new station slated for Newport Road and the private funded station in St Mellons (if that ever happens) will carry the load to allow for a complete closure and redevelopment of central, which is desperately needed.

Central Station needs a New Street/Kings Cross style redevleopment making it almost a destination in its own right.

Oh and a direct link to the airport, which is utterly ridiculous to not already exist, but here I am digressing.
    I think the disruption caused to the rail network by a redevelopment of central would be extensive and take far too long

A new parkway station to the north east would reduce a lot of pressure on central and smaller trains could take passengers into central to allow others to go on the main lines ?

How do most people get down the bay ?

I know it's not for everybody but it gets really busy

I go on the X2 service bus but also drive

The only way by train seems to be via central and I am sure the bus services are not great

I would have thought improving transport down there will ease the pressure on the city centre

I am sure the bay and the city centre would benefit from better transport links

The roads are ok

The irony

plenty of money is put into opera , classical and non contemporary music but very few people pay to go and watch it

A lot of white elephants in Cardiff , the millennium centre being a prime example

This capital city stuff thrown around is nonsense , it's just a name .

Cardiff should focus on getting the basics right instead of trying to be so pretentious
    Sounds like a bit of inverted snobbery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Sounds like a bit of inverted snobbery to me.
    Well I know you like opera and religious sort of oddball stuff but when it comes to putting bums on seats it just doesn't work

It's incredibly right on and pretentious but there's no point in having somewhere like the millennium centre with a lovely 2500 seats and great facilities if some obscure organist is on stage in front of no audience

How are these places going to survive ?

It would be a great rock concert venue and the place would be full

It's all very well telling everybody what a great music scene and facilities we have but you need to be truthful and tell them the locals just ain't interested in most of the stuff

Oh come on what about the BBC Wales building !

the civic centre is classy but as you say its out of the way

If it was in the middle of the city centre , say opposite Central station .....then it would be a place to chill , have open air stuff

As it is its very underused apart from the summer office workers

I don't think a lot of people gravitate there which is a shame

Birmingham and Leeds have some lovely central civic buildings and park areas
    What about the castle grounds? It’s huge, central and provides a great place to chill out, get wasted, hang out with family or meet mates…doubt anywhere has a park in the centre that big….where does it end?

What about the castle grounds? It’s huge, central and provides a great place to chill out, get wasted, hang out with family or meet mates…doubt anywhere has a park in the centre that big….where does it end?
    Well if we are talking parks you and I have discussed this before and plenty of other cities in the UK have great parkland just like Cardiff

I think the disruption caused to the rail network by a redevelopment of central would be extensive and take far too long

A new parkway station to the north east would reduce a lot of pressure on central and smaller trains could take passengers into central to allow others to go on the main lines ?
    You're not wrong but central station being redeveloped is inevitable, and the disruption will have to be covered by other stations mentioned. Central Station simply has to redeveloped.

For what it's worth London Bridge and New Street were redeveloped and I think remained operational, it can be done.

It is lovely. You're the same end as me, if it's nice then i'll take a walk from my house and cut through by Tesco and walk through into the City centre. Sadly, Duke St looks dirty and tired and Queen St needs sorting out. A mini Borough Market would be good in Cardiff, somewhere cheap to get half decent food with a bit of variety.

Well I know you like opera and religious sort of oddball stuff but when it comes to putting bums on seats it just doesn't work

It's incredibly right on and pretentious but there's no point in having somewhere like the millennium centre with a lovely 2500 seats and great facilities if some obscure organist is on stage in front of no audience

How are these places going to survive ?

It would be a great rock concert venue and the place would be full

It's all very well telling everybody what a great music scene and facilities we have but you need to be truthful and tell them the locals just ain't interested in most of the stuff
    I go to 3 or 4 opera there each year and it's generally pretty full. What was it like when you attended?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I go to 3 or 4 opera there each year and it's generally pretty full. What was it like when you attended?
    I think we both know that pretty full isn't quite the same as full

Well if we are talking parks you and I have discussed this before and plenty of other cities in the UK have great parkland just like Cardiff
    Cardiff is officially the greenest city in the UK

Cardiff has more than five parks per 100,000 people

Here are the top ten greenest cities in Europe, according to the study:

1. Paris, 7.62 parks per 100,000 people

2. Luxembourg city, 8.51 trees

3. Dublin, 6.47

4. Cardiff, 5.54

5. Lisbon, 4.59

6. Bratislava, 2.81

7. Helsinki, 6.02

8. Reykjavik, 3.05

9. Barcelona, 5.12

10. Belfast, 4.31

https://www.timeout.com/uk/news/reve...the-uk-112222#

The above is capital cities apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The above is capital cities apparently
    So that's not correct then ?

Sludge you are an absolute disgrace. Slagging off our fantastic city constantly. You should be ashamed of yourself.

The number of parks is probably less significant than the acreage.

The number of parks is probably less significant than the acreage.
    Not too sure. I think people tend to use a local park if within easy reach. We have a small one around the corner that I often walk through and is quite busy with other likeminded locals. I rarely travel out of my way to visit a park these days.

Ultimately, different people like different things in Cities.
    It depends what you are after.

Sydney, to me is the most overrated City that I have ever spent a significant amount time in and I’ve no desire to return but many people love it.

I think Cardiff is a great City as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Ultimately, different people like different things in Cities.
    It depends what you are after.

Sydney, to me is the most overrated City that I have ever spent a significant amount time in and I’ve no desire to return but many people love it.

I think Cardiff is a great City as it is.
    People who have never really been anywhere else think ......insert name of city ......is the best

To suggest Cardiff has a good live music culture is an opinion that falls down if compared to many other UK cities

A nice civic centre , parks .....yes ...but the best ?