+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60th anniversary of The Big Freeze coming up

Re: 60th anniversary of The Big Freeze coming up

I was eight.We walked to school.Didn't lose a day.

Thinking about it, the two largest snowfalls in my lifetime have both come with a 2 at the end of the year, 1962 and 1982 but unfortunately I didn't see a single flake last year.

I don't think the 1982 fall had the notoriety of the earlier one because it was not nationwide and didn't cause the chaos associated with that event. Still, over 40 hours of non-stop heavy snow was still amazing to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Thinking about it, the two largest snowfalls in my lifetime have both come with a 2 at the end of the year, 1962 and 1982 but unfortunately I didn't see a single flake last year.

I don't think the 1982 fall had the notoriety of the earlier one because it was not nationwide and didn't cause the chaos associated with that event. Still, over 40 hours of non-stop heavy snow was still amazing to see.
    I remember my mam telling me there were a couple of feet of snow in Ty Sign (estate on mountainside above Risca)
    I lived in London at the time - we had about two inches - in drifts!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I remember my mam telling me there were a couple of feet of snow in Ty Sign (estate on mountainside above Risca)
    I lived in London at the time - we had about two inches - in drifts!
    It hit the south west and Wales really badly. Like you, my mate was living in London at the time and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Another, who was courting a French girl at the time was in Paris watching TV with her parents and couldn't believe his eyes when Cardiff bus station was featured on their main news. I think it was because the French rugby team were due to play Wales in Cardiff.

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    My bad, his brother was Pedro, Paddy was Paddy Power the sports teacher
    Pedro was a Spanish Teacher so he was always referred to (not to his or Egar's faces) as Pedro Belsh Because there is no W in Spanish

International

Slightly off topic, in about 1983/4 Europe had a bad storm. At the time I had a french au-pair and I came in from work and found her crying watching the news.
    She had seen the report of people skiing on the beach at Nice which hadn't happened in over 100 years, and she, from Nice, wasn't there!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Slightly off topic, in about 1983/4 Europe had a bad storm. At the time I had a french au-pair and I came in from work and found her crying watching the news.
    She had seen the report of people skiing on the beach at Nice which hadn't happened in over 100 years, and she, from Nice, wasn't there!
    So, you had a French au-pair? Oh, yes, the skiing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    To my knowledge, what was amazing was the ferocity and duration of the winter wasn't even predicted. Heads would roll nowadays.
    Sackable offence

International

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyscoular View Post
    So, you had a French au-pair? Oh, yes, the skiing thing.

I did and she was gorgeous. My wife didn't take her eyes off me for 6 months