+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A worrying large number of our players leaving for internationals.

A worrying large number of our players leaving for internationals.

They are contracted to Cardiff City first and foremost. Do our rival teams in the Championship have similar numbers leaving their club sides I wonder? As Cardiff City supporters, we should be concerned how many will return injured, jet lagged and jaded.

Re: A worrying large number of our players leaving for internationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmore Bluebird View Post
    They are contracted to Cardiff City first and foremost. Do our rival teams in the Championship have similar numbers leaving their club sides I wonder? As Cardiff City supporters, we should be concerned how many will return injured, jet lagged and jaded.
    Americans would never understand this. Their sports are not anywhere near as global as soccer.

"Excuse me, you're taking my $50 million-a-year quarterback off to the dangers and risks of some international tournament, and he may or may not come back in working order?"

Yup.

Yes, perhaps we need a return to League 2. Not much danger of having many international players then.

happens all the time mate

What if any of our African players make their respective countries' AFCON squads? That's going to have a big effect on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    What if any of our African players make their respective countries' AFCON squads? That's going to have a big effect on the team.
    Collins springs to mind.
    But it’s a good position to be in.

I was bent out of shape the way used Ramsey in the last international break…but then I remember how sad I was with players pulling out for Wales.

I guess it goes with the territory.

Sorry, but I just don’t get this stuff Wales attitude. I think I’d probably favour a City promotion over Wales qualifying for another Euro's, but it would be very close.

They played like they were jet lagged and jaded in their last game!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Yes, perhaps we need a return to League 2. Not much danger of having many international players then.
    We often had players out when we were that level. most notably Ernie.

Just a couple for Wales

[QUOTE see=Stanmore Bluebird;5468532]They are contracted to Cardiff City first and foremost. Do our rival teams in the Championship have similar numbers leaving their club sides I wonder? As Cardiff City supporters, we should be concerned how many will return injured, jet lagged and jaded.[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine we are much different to every other Championship team are we?

Has to be a good thing to have a load of internationals really, but I agree, if you don't then at least one positive is they all get a good break.

I think I would favour having international players over not though.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    They played like they were jet lagged and jaded in their last game!
    They were warming up

I suppose one could include a no internationals clause into a contract.

The only problem is you'd probably find it impossible to sign any players who have a modicum of ambition.

The World Cup and Euros are two of the biggest tournaments going for a pro footballer. In order to play in these tournaments you have to qualify. To do so you have to play qualifying matches.

The championship is not prestigious or glamorous so, understandably , players who have the opportunity to qualify for a showpiece tournament are very eager to do so.

Southampton have 10 first team players and a couple of other fringe players that have been called up.

Quite often I hear that the standard of the Championship is getting worse, yet it appears there are more international players in the division than ever.

This is nonsense. What would we rather, a squad with players who are too weak to play for their country or a squad with players good enough to be international footballers? I despair sometimes.

Quite often I hear that the standard of the Championship is getting worse, yet it appears there are more international players in the division than ever.
    I think the gap between the championship and the premier league is increasing, but not because the Championship is getting weaker

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think the gap between the championship and the premier league is increasing, but not because the Championship is getting weaker
    If you look at the Premier League table you'll see that the teams who got promoted last season occupy the bottom three places and the next three places are occupied by the teams promoted the previous season.

15 NottinghamForest
    16 Fulham
    17 AFC Bournemouth
    18 Luton Town
    19 Sheffield United
    20 Burnley

This thread reminds me of the times that Don Revie used to keep Gary Sprake at Leeds with his latest 'injury' and, also, Fergie keeping a certain left winger in Manchester with his 'injury'.

They both, miraculously, were always available for their next club game.

I'm not worried. Should I be?

Just read that Reading (bottom of league 1) have 8 away on International duty, so it’s spread thru the divisions