+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

Or drastically cut taxes on pub bought beer. They are community hubs with architectural interest. Surely something has to be done to halt their closures. Do any of the main parties care? They're so good for our communities. Once they're gone, they're gone

International

Re: Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

I think that you should only be able to buy beer for consuming at home or where-ever from a pub, which would dramatically increase their turnover and sustainability. Let the shops keep the wines and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think that you should only be able to buy beer for consuming at home or where-ever from a pub, which would dramatically increase their turnover and sustainability. Let the shops keep the wines and spirits.
    Not a bad shout. Something should be done. I'm surprised no political party have developed a policy. The social aspect of pubs is very valuable to a society and we're losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Not a bad shout. Something should be done. I'm surprised no political party have developed a policy. The social aspect of pubs is very valuable to a society and we're losing it.
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs now to know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs to now know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?
    my 2 nearest pubs are full of guys and girl 16 30 every weekend. It's a pleasure just to be there

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs now to know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?
    Pubs would be far busier but for the cost of a pint. We are still social animals, sucessive chancellors seem to keep taxing pints until pubs hardly exist. It's pretty criminal.

It’s obvious they’re going to let them die

The strain drinking (and smoking) is putting on the NHS it’s no wonder they’ve taxed them to death

It’s a changing time. I’m not sure if it’s for the better but sometimes we have to accept change.

International

my 2 nearest pubs are full of guys and girl 16 30 every weekend. It's a pleasure just to be there
    Youngsters drink much less than we did at their age generally.

When i was 17, a pint of Welsh Bitter was 25p. Mind you, strength wise it was like dipping your finger in a glass of water and sucking it. 😂

Increase the price of a can from a supermarket by £2/£3 and decrease the price of a pint in a pub by £2/£3.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It’s obvious they’re going to let them die

The strain drinking (and smoking) is putting on the NHS it’s no wonder they’ve taxed them to death

It’s a changing time. I’m not sure if it’s for the better but sometimes we have to accept change.
    Drinking isn't that bad for you in moderation. Infact i have read that booze can be a net benefit and extend life. Not sure how true that is...maybe with wine at lunch
    The social aspect is undoubtedly wonderful for you but hard to measure.

Do you mean exclusively from a pub? My locals still operate as off licenses. The real ale pub does takeaway bladders (honest) which I think holds 4 pints. Quite a few collect their ale that way.

Fully nationalise them, have beer on the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Fully nationalise them, have beer on the NHS.
    If that happened, the bar staff would most probably go on strike

Let's allow WAG to run them so we can return to the dark ages of dry Sundays and restrictive drinking hours.....

Oh i miss the dash from the Butchers to the Travelers rest for that extra 30 mins on a Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Increase the price of a can from a supermarket by £2/£3 and decrease the price of a pint in a pub by £2/£3.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Let's allow WAG to run them so we can return to the dark ages of dry Sundays and restrictive drinking hours.....

Oh i miss the dash from the Butchers to the Travelers rest for that extra 30 mins on a Sunday
    There’s no such thing as WAG any longer. It’s the Welsh Government. The institution is called the Senedd and has been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Why?
    Erm… it’d make going out to the pub more financially attractive. I’ve never seen the attraction of sitting on a settee, alone, drinking cans of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Youngsters drink much less than we did at their age generally.
    They are generally penny pinching drinking cheap piss (I mean carling) in the house before going out and causing a nuisance in town.

Oh dear! not really hanging with the times are you. It's all about profit , not letting a bunch of piszheads getting cheap booze.
    I agree with the social part of the argument, but society has changed and people will abuse it and become total beer wonkers

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post

I would go back to the restricted drinking hours of yesteryear tomorrow.

All day drinking hours and government greed scuppered the local for good.

A few beers with your mates after a solid day's work letting off steam and putting the world to rights went a long way to preserving sanity, commonly known these days as mental health.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Pubs have been dying for years

Less people are drinking down the pubs and places that don't offer food in the lunchtime or even at night cannot survive on drink sales

The boozers have been full of boring old gits who prop up the bar but don't bring in much money compared to a few people having some food and few drinks

30 years ago pubs would survive with the regulars on a lunchtime or Sunday night playing darts or cards

But now that big groups of people , work nights , stag and hens etc are fading the extra money from the booze crew is the main source of income and it just isn't enough

You always get everyone making a fuss when a pub announces its closing down but where have these people been ?

If a pub is the centre of a community then the locals have got to use it or that's it

Village pubs have completely had it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Pubs have been dying for years

Less people are drinking down the pubs and places that don't offer food in the lunchtime or even at night cannot survive on drink sales

The boozers have been full of boring old gits who prop up the bar but don't bring in much money compared to a few people having some food and few drinks

30 years ago pubs would survive with the regulars on a lunchtime or Sunday night playing darts or cards

But now that big groups of people , work nights , stag and hens etc are fading the extra money from the booze crew is the main source of income and it just isn't enough

You always get everyone making a fuss when a pub announces its closing down but where have these people been ?

If a pub is the centre of a community then the locals have got to use it or that's it

Village pubs have completely had it
    The beer prices are too high. Slash the taxes and the community can congregate again.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    The beer prices are too high. Slash the taxes and the community can congregate again.
    Pubs have been in decline long before the current price hikes

It's funny because the new style real ale places aimed at the middle classes ie Pontcanna seemed to be popping up and doing OK even though they are pricey.