+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

Or drastically cut taxes on pub bought beer. They are community hubs with architectural interest. Surely something has to be done to halt their closures. Do any of the main parties care? They're so good for our communities. Once they're gone, they're gone

International

Re: Is it time to nationalise Pubs?

I think that you should only be able to buy beer for consuming at home or where-ever from a pub, which would dramatically increase their turnover and sustainability. Let the shops keep the wines and spirits.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think that you should only be able to buy beer for consuming at home or where-ever from a pub, which would dramatically increase their turnover and sustainability. Let the shops keep the wines and spirits.
    Do you mean exclusively from a pub? My locals still operate as off licenses. The real ale pub does takeaway bladders (honest) which I think holds 4 pints. Quite a few collect their ale that way.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Do you mean exclusively from a pub? My locals still operate as off licenses. The real ale pub does takeaway bladders (honest) which I think holds 4 pints. Quite a few collect their ale that way.
    Yes, ban beer sales from shops but let the keep the wine and spirits

Not a bad shout. Something should be done. I'm surprised no political party have developed a policy. The social aspect of pubs is very valuable to a society and we're losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Not a bad shout. Something should be done. I'm surprised no political party have developed a policy. The social aspect of pubs is very valuable to a society and we're losing it.
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs now to know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs to now know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?
    my 2 nearest pubs are full of guys and girl 16 30 every weekend. It's a pleasure just to be there

International

my 2 nearest pubs are full of guys and girl 16 30 every weekend. It's a pleasure just to be there
    Youngsters drink much less than we did at their age generally.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    They are generally penny pinching drinking cheap piss (I mean carling) in the house before going out and causing a nuisance in town.

International

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Speak for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’m only asking because I don’t spend enough time in pubs now to know the answer to this, but does the social aspect that you talk of (and certainly applied when I used to love visiting them) apply as much these days - would anyone under, say, forty be bothered if pubs closed?
    Pubs would be far busier but for the cost of a pint. We are still social animals, sucessive chancellors seem to keep taxing pints until pubs hardly exist. It's pretty criminal.

It’s obvious they’re going to let them die

The strain drinking (and smoking) is putting on the NHS it’s no wonder they’ve taxed them to death

It’s a changing time. I’m not sure if it’s for the better but sometimes we have to accept change.

When i was 17, a pint of Welsh Bitter was 25p. Mind you, strength wise it was like dipping your finger in a glass of water and sucking it. 😂

Increase the price of a can from a supermarket by £2/£3 and decrease the price of a pint in a pub by £2/£3.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Increase the price of a can from a supermarket by £2/£3 and decrease the price of a pint in a pub by £2/£3.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Why?
    Erm… it’d make going out to the pub more financially attractive. I’ve never seen the attraction of sitting on a settee, alone, drinking cans of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    It’s obvious they’re going to let them die

The strain drinking (and smoking) is putting on the NHS it’s no wonder they’ve taxed them to death

It’s a changing time. I’m not sure if it’s for the better but sometimes we have to accept change.
    Drinking isn't that bad for you in moderation. Infact i have read that booze can be a net benefit and extend life. Not sure how true that is...maybe with wine at lunch
    The social aspect is undoubtedly wonderful for you but hard to measure.

Drinking isn't that bad for you in moderation. Infact i have read that booze can be a net benefit and extend life. Not sure how true that is...maybe with wine at lunch
    Binge drinking and the resulting chaos is the real killer for pub culture in Wales. Especially in cities and provincial towns.

A pub where people go for a spot of grub and two, three, four pints is a social hub. A pub, or maybe pub/club where people go to drink beyond levels that can be considered enjoyable is an anti-social burden on that part of town. It's certainly not much fun for people who live locally.

That said, I would be in favour of public funding for a traditional pub that can offer food and music, comedy, theatre events. Like a sort of community centre.

International

What strain is going to be put on when all the numbers of people currently dying from tobacco and drink related illnesses live instead to a ripe old age with the cost and facility use of all the transplants increases, when the numbers suffering dementia and parkinson's increase and the cost of treatments/ medicines goes through the roof?
    Its a bit of a double edged sword, ans that's without the loss or revenue to the tax man who will have to find the money.

Fully nationalise them, have beer on the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Fully nationalise them, have beer on the NHS.
    If that happened, the bar staff would most probably go on strike

Let's allow WAG to run them so we can return to the dark ages of dry Sundays and restrictive drinking hours.....

Oh i miss the dash from the Butchers to the Travelers rest for that extra 30 mins on a Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Let's allow WAG to run them so we can return to the dark ages of dry Sundays and restrictive drinking hours.....

Oh i miss the dash from the Butchers to the Travelers rest for that extra 30 mins on a Sunday
    There’s no such thing as WAG any longer. It’s the Welsh Government. The institution is called the Senedd and has been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    There’s no such thing as WAG any longer. It’s the Welsh Government. The institution is called the Senedd and has been for years.
    If it makes 'em feel good about themselves, bunch of amateurs

International

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    Strike a nerve??