+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: AFC Wimbledon join campaign to end gambling sponsorship in football

AFC Wimbledon join campaign to end gambling sponsorship in football

AFC Wimbledon have become the fifth English league club to take a stand against gambling advertising in football by signing up for the Big Step campaign.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

Should City be signing up?

Re: AFC Wimbledon join campaign to end gambling sponsorship in football

I think that all clubs should.

The advertising on Sky is a non stop bombardment, more aggressive than the non prescription drugs you see peddled over here.

I don't mind gambling per se. It's the online gambling on phones I object to and think is particularly dangerous. More risk with none of the social benefits or overseeing that being in a bookies provides.

I'd happily see football turn it's back on online-only companies

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    I think that all clubs should.

The advertising on Sky is a non stop bombardment, more aggressive than the non prescription drugs you see peddled over here.
    Agree about the Sky advertising, it's cynical as well - they have an advertising break, tell you the game is coming next, then slip in another advert, almost always for a gambling company, just before kick off when everyone is settled in front of the television ready for the game to start, the so called warnings about the risks of gambling hardly come across as sincere either.

There are two precedents that seem relevant to me here - tobacco and alcohol. As someone old enough to remember adverts for cigarette brands and the widespread sponsorship of sporting events by tobacco companies, it's remarkable to see how attitudes towards smoking have changed and how the influence of cigarette companies diminished. On the other hand, although companies producing alcoholic drinks have had to cut back on advertising and sponsorship to a degree, it's not the same as with tobacco and a complete ban on alcohol advertising looks unlikely at present.

I suspect the same will apply to betting, which, to a degree, has filled the gap caused by he decline in influence of tobacco companies in particular - I'd like to see City joining the group opposed to advertising by betting companies, but i don't see the campaign succeeding.currently.