+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: I take it back, we looked safer/better with Lockyer in defence

I take it back, we looked safer/better with Lockyer in defence

I said beforehand, that I thought Lockyer was a red card waiting to happen, but I gotta be fair we looked more confident with him at the back than the other clown from Bournemouth

It’s not often I change my mind

Re: I take it back, we looked safer/better with Lockyer in defence

Helps he's been playing games. So many of our players desperately need a move.

Connor Roberts and Mepham, Jesus Christ do they look rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Helps he's been playing games. So many of our players desperately need a move.

Connor Roberts and Mepham, Jesus Christ do they look rusty.
    Roberts isn't rusty, just shit. He played like that when he was a regular at Burnley

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Roberts isn't rusty, just shit. He played like that when he was a regular at Burnley
    I’m not a huge fan but he’s massively out of form. He’s not that bad normally but he has not been great for a while. It’s such a shame RND is still injured

I thought Lockyer was very good last night, fitted in to the centre of 3 perfectly. Makes you wonder, aside from his absence after the play off final, why he hadn’t played more for us.

I thought he played well, but still unsure why we feel the need to play three centre halfs at home.
    Most international teams play with one up top so there are a lot of spare bodies around and none of them are good enough to step into midfield unless it is Ampadu, but you may as well play a back 4 and Ampadu as the sitter in that case and play a central attacking midfielder to link the play

Wonder what he would have done if Rambo was fit

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I thought he played well, but still unsure why we feel the need to play three centre halfs at home.
    Most international teams play with one up top so there are a lot of spare bodies around and none of them are good enough to step into midfield unless it is Ampadu, but you may as well play a back 4 and Ampadu as the sitter in that case and play a central attacking midfielder to link the play

Wonder what he would have done if Rambo was fit
    It might have something to do with us letting in four when we last used four at the back in a competitive game in Cardiff. One thing worth mentioning with Wales’ three centre backs approach in recent games is that Ben Davies comes forward to become a left sided midfielder at times.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It might have something to do with us letting in four when we last used four at the back in a competitive game in Cardiff. One thing worth mentioning with Wales’ three centre backs approach in recent games is that Ben Davies comes forward to become a left sided midfielder at times.
    That was down to the midfield balance and Armenia having an insane night in front of goal, it's not like we haven't succeeded with a back 4 before, we mainly played that way under Giggs and for a lot of Page's early tenure. A midfield 2 of James and Ampadu in front of a back 4 is a far stronger base to build off than trying to shoehorn in Ramsey or Wilson as Page did previously

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    If Dan James was one of the wingbacks and Nico was back on his wing then I can go with the its a 343, but mainly it was a super cautious 5221

I think the 4 goal hammering was down to thinking that Ramsey can suddenly turn into a 6 and Davies is a flat back 4 left-back.