+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh railway bosses admit they have traditionally focused more on rugby

Re: Welsh railway bosses admit they have traditionally focused more on rugby

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Seeing as the Welsh Government wants us to ditch our cars the provision for midweek city games is pretty poor anyway. I normally take the car for midweek games as too often there is inadequate provision for the valley lines.

Surely it's no rocket science to lay on a few extra trains from Grangetown or Central
    It used to be when Stephenson was about.

Don't worry, everything will be fine when we start using the Metro system...
    Oh, hang on...

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    It's just a fact, whether i agree with it or not.
    No it isn't you plum

Nah, I'm more convinced by looking at the living standards of the old Soviet Union, compared to their counterparts across the globe
    Why when you say you are not a raving right wing capitalist .......do I think 🤔......something doesn't quite add up here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It used to be when Stephenson was about.
    I feel like this joke deserves more recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Did you expect all the problems to be sorted overnight? There's a long term plan which will take a few more years yet. It's vital work. Things couldn't have carried on as they were with ATW.
    the service is utter dogshit. they have had nearly 6 years and we are not seeing any improvements. TfW are regularly at the bottom of the TOC league tables, and that is saying something when you consider Northern Rail are included.

As for the airport, its depressing, the less said about it the better.

the fact is, whether public or private, you need investment. Neither is better than the other without the right level of spend on continually renewing and upgrading.

TfW is shit, and state ownership hasn't improved things at all.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVis View Post
    the service is utter dogshit. they have had nearly 6 years and we are not seeing any improvements. TfW are regularly at the bottom of the TOC league tables, and that is saying something when you consider Northern Rail are included.

As for the airport, its depressing, the less said about it the better.

the fact is, whether public or private, you need investment. Neither is better than the other without the right level of spend on continually renewing and upgrading.

TfW is shit, and state ownership hasn't improved things at all.
    Don't know much about previous service but changed to the choo choo the past 5 weeks as my transport to work, yes there has been lateness, and a train was cancelled whilst i was sat on it at HHL station one morning, but on the whole the service hasn't been too bad, as long as I'm situated in the office I'm at, I will not be rushing back to the car, when are the next strikes!!!!!!!

James Price couldn't run a train set.

I catch the train from Llanishen so it's quite a decent service and the new trains are great, but when i lived in Pontyclun the service was shocking, one train an hour on the main east-west line.

The issue is the lack of integration of a car-train plan. Cardiff Bay wants us to ditch or reduce car journeys, so why isn't there a mega car park and long trains every 10 mins from Tongwynlais with direct access to the M4, at least you can get people in and out of the city.

Its ok for me i live 5 mins from the train statin but i bet 90% of the south Wales doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    I catch the train from Llanishen so it's quite a decent service and the new trains are great, but when i lived in Pontyclun the service was shocking, one train an hour on the main east-west line.

The issue is the lack of integration of a car-train plan. Cardiff Bay wants us to ditch or reduce car journeys, so why isn't there a mega car park and long trains every 10 mins from Tongwynlais with direct access to the M4, at least you can get people in and out of the city.

Its ok for me i live 5 mins from the train statin but i bet 90% of the south Wales doesn't
    one an hour ?

And, at the moment, I wouldn't expect anything else, whether it was run by state or otherwise.

We're in the middle of a major upgrade to rail services across Wales. Things that should have been done during Arriva's tenure. As with many huge projects like this there have been faults and delays. Services will eventually improve, but for you to moan that we've had 6 years and not seen any improvements shows how little you know about what is actually going on.

"What do we want?"
    "Better rail services"
    "When do we want them?"
    "Yesterday"
    "Are we prepared to be inconvenienced in the meantime?"
    "No."

And, at the moment, I wouldn't expect anything else, whether it was run by state or otherwise.

We're in the middle of a major upgrade to rail services across Wales. Things that should have been done during Arriva's tenure. As with many huge projects like this there have been faults and delays. Services will eventually improve, but for you to moan that we've had 6 years and not seen any improvements shows how little you know about what is actually going on.

"What do we want?"
    "Better rail services"
    "When do we want them?"
    "Yesterday"
    "Are we prepared to be inconvenienced in the meantime?"
    "No."
    so why didn't WG upgrade the network when Arriva had the franchise?

as for your comments, utter nonsense. Everyone understands that to upgrade the network there will be disruption. Except we aren't see the network upgraded, its taking an age, and services are suffering continuously.

so why didn't WG upgrade the network when Arriva had the franchise?

as for your comments, utter nonsense. Everyone understands that to upgrade the network there will be disruption. Except we aren't see the network upgraded, its taking an age, and services are suffering continuously.
    WG didn't have any control over the rail infrastructure, they took it over from Network Rail after the franchise with Keolis Amey was agreed. Upgrades are a part of franchise agreement. Why should the tax payer bail out a franchise that had no agreement to improve the network (which was the case)?

Has nothing been upgraded? Yes it'll take an age, but get a grip ffs you whinger.

WG didn't have any control over the rail infrastructure, they took it over from Network Rail after the franchise with Keolis Amey was agreed. Upgrades are a part of franchise agreement. Why should the tax payer bail out a franchise that had no agreement to improve the network (which was the case)?

Has nothing been upgraded? Yes it'll take an age, but get a grip ffs you whinger.
    The rolling stock TfW use for the Carmarthen to Manchester service had two carriages, overcrowded, not punctual, and is usually the same train as they use on the valley lines. Terrible service.

It shows just how bad Arriva turned the network that it’s taken them this long to start make large changes. Westminster giving out a contact to them for 15 years with 0% growth requirement built in shows how much effort they put into a Welsh service.

I saw my old local station Pontypool is undergoing an upgrade, there are more on the way and a bunch of new trains.

I don’t live in Wales anymore so can someone tell me if there any positive signs of improvements across the wider network? (Ideally from somebody who isn’t gonna moan about everyone mildly related to the project).

I'm on the rhymney line and the service has improved considerably for Sunday games. We've gone from one train every two hours which you could guarantee wasn't timed around kick off and full time to two trains per hour.

I never had any issues with Saturday or evening games or going into Cardiff for shopping under ATW. Rush hour is also now much better under tfw as trains almost always have capacity.

The new trains are also a vast improvement on the pacers.

However many won't want to hear this as it doesn't fit their agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm on the rhymney line and the service has improved considerably for Sunday games. We've gone from one train every two hours which you could guarantee wasn't timed around kick off and full time to two trains per hour.

I never had any issues with Saturday or evening games or going into Cardiff for shopping under ATW. Rush hour is also now much better under tfw as trains almost always have capacity.

The new trains are also a vast improvement on the pacers.

However many won't want to hear this as it doesn't fit their agenda.
    What's the journey time from up there into Cardiff?

It starts at Ebbw vale ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    What's the journey time from up there into Cardiff?

It starts at Ebbw vale ?
    No, the Ebbw Vale line starts at Ebbw Vale. Different valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    No, the Ebbw Vale line starts at Ebbw Vale. Different valley.
    So what's the journey time from the north of the south wales valleys into Cardiff

If the service is good and the journey time is reasonable then its a good start

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Trickle down economics has been used by most of the west in the last 30/40 years. The rich have got richer and the poor have got poorer. Giving tax cuts to the rich and privatising public services is a terrible, terrible idea unless you’re extremely rich to begin with.
    Our poor are still amongst the richest in the world though. That's the point of trickle down economics

It seems top end of Rhymney Valley is about an hour into Cardiff Central

That seems reasonable to miss out traffic and the stress of parking etc for CCFC or shopping or entertainments

But not so much fun with evening games and when the walk to the ground is in wet weather ?

More services would be better for people in the population centres

Can the journey time be improved ?

I suppose its about as good as its going to get

Our poor are still amongst the richest in the world though. That's the point of trickle down economics
    It's to make the rich richer

The poor and their level of wealth is irrelevant as much of the time they are stuffed

It sounds very romantic but it doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    The rolling stock TfW use for the Carmarthen to Manchester service had two carriages, overcrowded, not punctual, and is usually the same train as they use on the valley lines. Terrible service.
    It's the 7.45 Carmarthen train I get in the morning, as you say very hit and miss (but always two carriages) as to the quality of the train you get, sometimes miss this if the local train is late and then get the 8.07, this is the Paddington to West Wales train, and is a nice train especially in 1st class.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It seems top end of Rhymney Valley is about an hour into Cardiff Central

That seems reasonable to miss out traffic and the stress of parking etc for CCFC or shopping or entertainments

But not so much fun with evening games and when the walk to the ground is in wet weather ?

More services would be better for people in the population centres

Can the journey time be improved ?

I suppose its about as good as its going to get
    Is there anything you’re not an expert on? **** me

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Is there anything you’re not an expert on? **** me
    I think you will find I just had a look online to see what the services are

I wish it was all my own work but I am afraid it's down to Google on this one