+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Cardiff indoor musical arena

Re: New Cardiff indoor musical arena

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    They could get whoever built St David's Hall to build it...
    Where in Bristol do you live ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    2026 ?

Ff sake

If Bristol build one before us then that will be first on the big gig circuit and get established

I read that the capacity is going to be reduced which isn't a bad thing

15000 seems a bit ambitious

Big arenas in the UK from Scotland down ....

Glasgow
    Newcastle
    Leeds
    Sheffield
    Manchester
    Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    London

Then Cardiff , if its built ?

That's a huge arc of Swansea, Cardiff , Newport , Valleys , Bristol , Bath , Gloucester , Swindon, Exeter

I suppose Southampton , Portsmouth etc would come under Brighton Arena

So it's between us and the wurzels

I would think if or when Bristol build anything then the extra hour to us will be a factor

This has taken years
    It's a perfect size for acts that won't come to the Motorpoint and wouldn't be able to sell out the Principality, of which there are plenty.

The City is well versed in hosting events, this is good.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    The plans look quite good to be fair, but watch the video they are trying to limit car parking and make everyone use public transport.
    As they should be

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    It's a perfect size for acts that won't come to the Motorpoint and wouldn't be able to sell out the Principality, of which there are plenty.

The City is well versed in hosting events, this is good.
    The motor point is being flattened

It's going to be bigger than many other UK music venues without the population to support it and in direct competition with the new Bristol arena

I think a capacity of 10000 ish is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    As they should be
    I agree

Where in Bristol do you live ?
    Just outside - Portishead

And a new tram/train line with new stations is being built from Cardiff Central, across Callaghan Square, to the Bay.

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...ardiff-central

https://tfw.wales/projects/metro/sou...sformation-faq

They are dualling the tracks and building a new Bute Town station right now. In the next few years a new platform will be built at the south of Cardiff Central and the new track will be laid down the service road, across the surface car park and then tramlines through Callaghan Square and then up a ramp to join the newly-dualled Bay Line.

This will enable travellers from wider afield to get off the train at Central and hop on a tram for 5 mins to get to the new arena.

It is a good plan.

A detailed analysis here:

https://swalesmetroprof.blog/2023/01...opes-for-2023/

Just outside - Portishead
    So just right for you ?

How far as you from the feeder canal that joins the river Avon with the floating harbour , just to the east of Central Bristol?

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky View Post
    And a new tram/train line with new stations is being built from Cardiff Central, across Callaghan Square, to the Bay.

https://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...ardiff-central

https://tfw.wales/projects/metro/sou...sformation-faq

They are dualling the tracks and building a new Bute Town station right now. In the next few years a new platform will be built at the south of Cardiff Central and the new track will be laid down the service road, across the surface car park and then tramlines through Callaghan Square and then up a ramp to join the newly-dualled Bay Line.

This will enable travellers from wider afield to get off the train at Central and hop on a tram for 5 mins to get to the new arena.

It is a good plan.

A detailed analysis here:

https://swalesmetroprof.blog/2023/01...opes-for-2023/
    I am not doubting we need a replacement for the CIA

It's the size of the venue that seems a bit over ambitious given it will be considerably bigger than arenas in Liverpool, Leeds , Sheffield and Nottingham

Given that the one in brizzle is going to be bigger and up and running before ours I think a smaller facility would be wiser

As for the train station are there any plans to rip up cardiff central as , unless money is the object we surely need a bigger station

I am not doubting we need a replacement for the CIA

It's the size of the venue that seems a bit over ambitious given it will be considerably bigger than arenas in Liverpool, Leeds , Sheffield and Nottingham

Given that the one in brizzle is going to be bigger and up and running before ours I think a smaller facility would be wiser

As for the train station are there any plans to rip up cardiff central as , unless money is the object we surely need a bigger station
    https://tfw.wales/projects/cardiff-central-enhancements

So just right for you ?

How far as you from the feeder canal that joins the river Avon with the floating harbour , just to the east of Central Bristol?
    Possibly. Driving probably wouldn't be good so depends what happens with buses and trains.

About a 45 minute drive, depending on the time of day. Why?

Possibly. Driving probably wouldn't be good so depends what happens with buses and trains.

About a 45 minute drive, depending on the time of day. Why?
    I am hoping to do some pike fishing there in the summer

If there is no room at your house you will have to sleep in the garage

I think 15500 is ridiculous

Cardiff CIA is an awful venue and deffo needs replacing but up to 10000 ish seems sensible

Same size as arenas in Nottingham, Liverpool

If Bristol is building an enormous arena then it makes sense to build something far more realistic

If a 10000 all seated arena was in place now then Cardiff would be deffo on the touring circuit but this has come too late and I think it's going to be too big
    Live Nation/Ticketmaster wouldn't be involved if they didn't think it would work.

The motor point is being flattened

It's going to be bigger than many other UK music venues without the population to support it and in direct competition with the new Bristol arena

I think a capacity of 10000 ish is perfect
    The capacity is adjustable, the same way Birmingham’s NEC is and to a lesser extent the Motorpoint is.

15k is a good capacity. 10k and you might as well just keep the Motorpoint as the amount of extra bands that it would attract isn’t worth it. 10k also wouldn’t be able to compete with Bristol’s arena that would be double the size.

Why can’t Cardiff support a 15k venue? We regularly get the biggest acts in the world playing at the Millennium Stadium to ~80k people.

I am hoping to do some pike fishing there in the summer

If there is no room at your house you will have to sleep in the garage
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    The capacity is adjustable, the same way Birmingham’s NEC is and to a lesser extent the Motorpoint is.

15k is a good capacity. 10k and you might as well just keep the Motorpoint as the amount of extra bands that it would attract isn’t worth it. 10k also wouldn’t be able to compete with Bristol’s arena that would be double the size.

Why can’t Cardiff support a 15k venue? We regularly get the biggest acts in the world playing at the Millennium Stadium to ~80k people.
    You do realise that when the really big acts play the millenium they come from all over the UK?

People are not going to come to Cardiff arena from Bristol, Swindon , Exeter , Bath as they do now if there is a similar venue in Bristol

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Live Nation/Ticketmaster wouldn't be involved if they didn't think it would work.
    They are part of the venture , they are not building the whole thing

They are part of the venture , they are not building the whole thing
    Which is why I used the term "involved".

Which is why I used the term "involved".
    They could be 95 percent involved

They could be 95 percent involved
    They could be 1% involved. They'd still be involved.

They could be 1% involved. They'd still be involved.
    But a big business like that won't be bothered if it loses 1 percent of its stake but would be if it was the majority investor ?

In wall street they would call it risk capital

A lot easier to get to than Birmingham NEC

Although a 19 k arena is ridiculous

I hope Cardiff goes in at about 10 k seats , big gigs are not really my scene but some of the bands I like won't play venues smaller than that because of the stage show
    Kiss? :P

You do realise that when the really big acts play the millenium they come from all over the UK?

People are not going to come to Cardiff arena from Bristol, Swindon , Exeter , Bath as they do now if there is a similar venue in Bristol
    Why not? Cardiff has a massive catchment area and every big band that people are interested in aren’t going to solely play Bristol.

Concerts aren’t like football where the support is localised and you need a large population to build a large stadium.

Looking at the people with upcoming arena gigs across the country you’ve got Rick Astley, Niall Horan, Noel Gallagher, Slash, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

If they played in Cardiff it would sell out.

Even if they didn’t, surely it’s better to entice these sort of acts and sell 13,000 tickets rather than miss out on them to other places, such as Bristol, because we can only promise them a 10,000 crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    Kiss? :P
    I havnt seen kiss since 1997

Even then they looked old gits

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Why not? Cardiff has a massive catchment area and every big band that people are interested in aren’t going to solely play Bristol.

Concerts aren’t like football where the support is localised and you need a large population to build a large stadium.

Looking at the people with upcoming arena gigs across the country you’ve got Rick Astley, Niall Horan, Noel Gallagher, Slash, Arctic Monkeys, etc.

If they played in Cardiff it would sell out.

Even if they didn’t, surely it’s better to entice these sort of acts and sell 13,000 tickets rather than miss out on them to other places, such as Bristol, because we can only promise them a 10,000 crowd?
    You need a big population for arenas in the same way you need a big population for airports

If we had built a 12000 seater venue 6 or 7years ago we would have stolen a march on brizzle and the arena they are coming up with now would have been playing catch up

Now it's the other way round and two arenas close to each means one is going to miss out on a lot of gigs

Liverpool , Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield all compete up north so I would suggest that a 10000 seater venue in Cardiff is going to get plenty of gigs being as the only one available for the west Country and South Wales for the last 30 years has been the CIA with just 5000 seating capacity and 7000 standing

I think it's just logical and sensible because a 15000 seater venue is BIG and half of our gigs will now be in Bristol