+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Cardiff indoor musical arena

Re: New Cardiff indoor musical arena

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    As for the train station are there any plans to rip up cardiff central as , unless money is the object we surely need a bigger station
    IIRC Network Rail owns the station and there was talk of redeveloping it about 10 years ago that came to nothing. Can't see anything happening any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    IIRC Network Rail owns the station and there was talk of redeveloping it about 10 years ago that came to nothing. Can't see anything happening any time soon.
    If new stations are opened to take pressure off central that would be good

Say queen's Street expansion

Or this much talked about Eastern Parkway

But if nothing happens surely just adding another platform on the southern end , by the existing car park ...to cater for Cardiff Bay.....is just faffing about ?

2026 ?

Ff sake

If Bristol build one before us then that will be first on the big gig circuit and get established

I read that the capacity is going to be reduced which isn't a bad thing

15000 seems a bit ambitious

Big arenas in the UK from Scotland down ....

Glasgow
    Newcastle
    Leeds
    Sheffield
    Manchester
    Liverpool
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    London

Then Cardiff , if its built ?

That's a huge arc of Swansea, Cardiff , Newport , Valleys , Bristol , Bath , Gloucester , Swindon, Exeter

I suppose Southampton , Portsmouth etc would come under Brighton Arena

So it's between us and the wurzels

I would think if or when Bristol build anything then the extra hour to us will be a factor

This has taken years
    They have had extensive discussions with local residents which has obviously slowed things up. I'd say that is a good thing though.

Are Live Nation involved in Bristol? If they’re not then it will never be competition for a Live Nation run Cardiff arena.

International

Quote Originally Posted by nomad blue View Post
    Like the bus station, it'll be on commuter wish lists for years yet.

He's not a city Councillor, he's a Welsh assembly representative
    And you don't think that the Welsh Assembly has any influence over the City Council ?!! Drakeford and his cronies will be all over this like a rash. The only access to any new stadium will be by bus, tram, train or on foot. Or by luxury diesel limousine, so that ‘dignitaries’ can gain full and easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    And you don't think that the Welsh Assembly has any influence over the City Council ?!! Drakeford and his cronies will be all over this like a rash. The only access to any new stadium will be by bus, tram, train or on foot. Or by luxury diesel limousine, so that ‘dignitaries’ can gain full and easy access.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any significant car park specifically provided for the Principality Stadium and that does fine, and was built 24 years ago. It's hardly a new idea.

Would you rather the arena be built in some random outer suburb that gets flooded with thousands of car users? That sounds appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but there isn't any significant car park specifically provided for the Principality Stadium and that does fine, and was built 24 years ago. It's hardly a new idea.

Would you rather the arena be built in some random outer suburb that gets flooded with thousands of car users? That sounds appealing.
    I would think it would be better just off the M4 with a dedicated train station , car parks etc

The NEC Birmingham is an example

International

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post

and the council makes a fortune by closing off the streets behind City Hall where you can normally park fora couple of quid and charge people £10 or more for the same facility.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Ours will be better than Bristols as long as Drippy has nothing to do with it.
    Why would he? What's his connection with Cardiff Council?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    When did you graduate with your PhD in talking bollocks?

I would think it would be better just off the M4 with a dedicated train station , car parks etc

Why are you comparing to the NEC? The NEC is a huge event and exhbition space in the middle of the country.

You are comparing apples with oranges.

I have a place in Atlantic Wharf so I've taken an interest in this. There isn't any car parking so far as I'm aware. Hemingway Road will be blocked off and access to the south entrance to Schooner Way also blocked when there is an event on. There were discussions about giving some sort of access to residents but it's been rejected. So access would be via the Tyndall Road end.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I have a place in Atlantic Wharf so I've taken an interest in this. There isn't any car parking so far as I'm aware. Hemingway Road will be blocked off and access to the south entrance to Schooner Way also blocked when there is an event on. There were discussions about giving some sort of access to residents but it's been rejected. So access would be via the Tyndall Road end.
    Do you live near the top end of Atlantic wharf ?

Near the old wharf pub if it's still there ?

Where the canal runs into the Dock?

Do you live near the top end of Atlantic wharf ?

Near the old wharf pub if it's still there ?

Where the canal runs into the Dock?
    I don't live there FT but yes.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Why are you comparing to the NEC? The NEC is a huge event and exhbition space in the middle of the country.

You are comparing apples with oranges.
    Leeds Arena , located just off the A64 M , the link road around Leeds

To explain that to you think the Coryton interchange at the bottom of the A470

Leeds arena is about the same size of what we might have

So I hope that's a perfect example for you and it hasn't been too difficult for you to understand

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    I don't live there FT but yes.
    Can I park in your place to go fishing in the canal ?

So I hope that's a perfect example for you and it hasn't been too difficult for you to understand
    Better in the city centre, but with a dedicated public transport system, park and rides etc. That's what is lacking, and people will take the risk of getting caught up in traffic if the costs are negligible. An arena in the centre brings business to the pubs, restaurants, shops etc, creates jobs, a vibrant city centre has much more value than an arena on the out skirts of town, same could be said of a football stadium. The problem is public transport.

Can I park in your place to go fishing in the canal ?
    Atlantic Wharf Fishing Club has permission to use our car park which is a bit further towards Tyndall Street. Access is controlled by phone and only those registered can use it. They obviously have some arrangement but I don't know what it is I'm afraid. Send them a message?

Well that's not happening, it's based in Wales

Leeds Arena is just off the city centre you moron. Coryton roundabout is about 5 miles away from Cardiff City centre.

You would argue black is white rather than see someone else’s point. You should transgender to being a woman.

Leeds Arena is closer to the city centre than the proposed Bay Arena.

It’s probably about as far from the centre of Leeds as the Civic Centre is from Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

It’s probably about as far from the centre of Leeds as the Civic Centre is from Cardiff.
    Without checking, i would have thought that most of these Arenas would be within a few miles of a City Centre and not off some motorway junction. They're not airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post

15 minute walk if you are lucky

It's just off the ring road

What sort of road system has Cardiff got to deal with a big venue so close to the city ?

Leeds is surrounded by major road systems to disperse traffic quickly

We have the A4232 ......and that's it

Building these things in the middle of city's isn't a great idea

I wouldn't want to be living in South Cardiff when a gig or event is going on . Which could be 4 nights a week .

And if CCFC are at home ?

Good luck with all that

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Without checking, i would have thought that most of these Arenas would be within a few miles of a City Centre and not off some motorway junction. They're not airports.
    Most of these arenas have decent motorway systems to disperse traffic

Leeds , Manchester , Sheffield

We have a few noddy roads