+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Another Tory MP defects to Labour.

Another Tory MP defects to Labour.

Re: Another Tory MP defects to Labour.

I didn't see that one coming. She always seemed on the Tory right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I didn't see that one coming. She always seemed on the Tory right to me.
    Same here.

Elphicke will be a great boon to Labour

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Elphicke will be a great boon to Labour

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No loyalty in politics, Bob. The streetwise but low-talent MPs, when they think their seat is threatened, will swing the way the wind blows and jump sides. Or leave to “work for a charity”: code for taking a big salary and rinsing much-needed charity funds that were designated for the needy and unfortunate, whilst lobbying on the side or pretending to care about a cause.

The thick with low / no talent in Labour-targeted seats will just sit there, pray and hope, and take the bullets like a sitting duck on election day. Dumb martyrs for no reward.

Talented ones, with seats threatened, will have sweated their contacts book by now and found jobs on boards of directors, partnerships or consultancies. Money for knowledge or government contacts, or earnings for favours rendered in recent years.

Old ones with a grain of sense and have served their time (but have some dignity) in Labour-targeted seats, will “retire to spend more time with my family”. A nice ruse to sound humane. Loosely translated as “That was a nice 50k a year for the last ten years of my life, so thanks for the public sector pension I think I’ll f-ck off now. Mugs”

I believe that any politician, national or local, who defects to another party should resign their seat and face re-election.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetFA View Post
    I believe that any politician, national or local, who defects to another party should resign their seat and face re-election.
    She’s standing down next election. I’m not sure what to think of this. I guess Starmer thought it was too good a story to reject but there’s no way I would’ve let her in. You have to draw a line with some people. Does neither party’s reputation any good.

Isn't (wasn't) she on the right side of the Tories?
    Bit of an odd one really. I'd have thought Reform or standing as an independent would have been a more suitable move.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Isn't (wasn't) she on the right side of the Tories?
    Bit of an odd one really. I'd have thought Reform or standing as an independent would have been a more suitable move.
    More or less, yeah.

Although the whole left/right is obviously over simplistic, generally speaking she would have been way down anyone's list.

Lots in Labour a bit miffed it seems.

She was a Boris fan supported Truss, said if Labour get in our borders will be swamped with immigrants ,huge Brexiteer ,guess she needed a moment of fame , barmy women , some in the Labour Party thought it wasn't a great move to accept her as her right wing politics was very right wing ..

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    She was a Boris fan supported Truss, said if Labour get in our borders will be swamped with immigrants ,huge Brexiteer ,guess she needed a moment of fame , barmy women , some in the Labour Party thought it wasn't a great move to accept her as her right wing politics was very right wing ..
    Any of the Labour left not happy may be interested to know there is now a vacancy in the Workers Party of Britain that Monty Panesar has now left behind.

Honestly, what a mad world we live in 🤣

As you may know, I'm neither a fan of the left nor right regarding domestic politics - but how seriuosly can anyone take an M.P. who changes parties when the ballon is going up as far as the Conservatives are concerned? I don't think it particularly flatters the Labour party either. What would her local constituents actually be voting for?

This is another shameful decision by Starmer. Pathetic. Elphicke is a right wing Tory. Meanwhile genuine lifelong Labour members are suspended or blocked from standing in elections despite support from their local parties and public.