+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper dilemma

Goalkeeper dilemma

Clearly Runnarsson was brought in as no1, but Alnwick’s form has kept him out.
    Can we give Runnarsson another chance and put his hesitation today as lack of game time or do we say enough is enough and bring Alnwick back for good?

Re: Goalkeeper dilemma

Alnwick all day long. Have luthra as back up .

Runarsson is so poor.

He's not even Iceland number one

The guy isn’t good enough to be number 3.

He was one of the reasons why we lost at Ipswich.
    Alwick all day

I don’t know where this Luthra being number 2 has come from all of a sudden.

I don’t think Alnick deserved to be dropped but it was mentioned he was unwell? All I’ve seen over twitter/X is about Runnerson, yes his positioning was poor but that goal was down to McGuiness no doubt about it.

Expected worse from what I read about their goal, as a goalkeeper can say for sure it is hard when backpedaling all of a sudden to get your bearings completely right, he was slightly off but the fume should’ve been aimed at mcg

Having said all that I don’t understand Alnwick being dropped

All this "give the manager half a season" or "give the manager the season atleast" nonsense...yet a goal keeper who has no match fitness gets the death sentance after one game? Give him atleast some time before making such verdicts. You bloody numpties.

That said why Bulut thought swapping out a keeper in form suddenly is bizarre. Surely there is a reason.. he needs to explain some of these daft decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    All this "give the manager half a season" or "give the manager the season atleast" nonsense...yet a goal keeper who has no match fitness gets the death sentance after one game? Give him atleast some time before making such verdicts. You bloody numpties.

That said why Bulut thought swapping out a keeper in form suddenly is bizarre. Surely there is a reason.. he needs to explain some of these daft decisions
    It wasn’t his first game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    It wasn’t his first game for us.
    no but its one game in a row so far aint it ...

nvm tho i get the feeling you knew what i was getting at and you are back to trolling (or attempting to)

Quote Originally Posted by Blooburd View Post
    no but its one game in a row so far aint it ...

nvm tho i get the feeling you knew what i was getting at and you are back to trolling (or attempting to)
    Not really, I think everyone knows he didn’t start last game and his last was a disaster hence the negative comments before he started.
    I actually have no idea what your point was? We shouldn’t judge him over the games we played but should hold Bulut responsible? Is that it? Seems odd.

Not really, I think everyone knows he didn’t start last game and his last was a disaster hence the negative comments before he started.
    I actually have no idea what your point was? We shouldn’t judge him over the games we played but should hold Bulut responsible? Is that it? Seems odd.
    Despite some here suggesting that Alnwick cost us 2 goals v Norwich, I reckon he could have done better with one, but not the the other. 1st choice for me every time..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Despite some here suggesting that Alnwick cost us 2 goals v Norwich, I reckon he could have done better with one, but not the the other. 1st choice for me every time..
    I think he’s been a little shaky recently, he doesn’t look as confident recently but if fit he starts at the moment for me as well.

Was Alnwick dropped? I read on another thread that he was ill.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Was Alnwick dropped? I read on another thread that he was ill.
    Would make more sense.

I was up there that keeper was a bloody liability today
    Unless Alnwick was injured or Ill I can't see why he was dropped

my point is that perhaps we should consider giving our players more than a 1 game playing streak before condemning them to the reserve team especially since many people on these forums want to give managers 46 games to fully prove how shit they are

I’d say it was the only mistake Runnarsson made yesterday, but it was a big one and I believe it takes the number of goals he conceded in the four matches he’s played to ten (albeit some of them were not with our first choice defence in front of him). I’ve not heard or read anything after the match about Alnwick being ill and have to say that, based on what I’ve seen of the two of them this season, he should be our first choice keeper.

Erol Bulut's post match interview on the club website has him saying that Runnarrson is a level above Alnwick with the ball at his feet and the intenion was to play the ball out from the back more against this opposition.

Also as a former goalie (played for Cardiff Boys in 1960!!), from what I have seen of Alnwick this year,he has looked and played with confidence. I don't think he would have been so high up the pitch as Runnarrsson " our ball playing goalie", so maybe would have had more of a chance to cover for McG's mistake. Anyway, surely Alnwick back for Tuesday.

Alnwick for me.
    Runarsson showed poor decision making in addition to poor positioning in that if he was unsure of his position he should have closed the striker down.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’d say it was the only mistake Runnarsson made yesterday, but it was a big one and I believe it takes the number of goals he conceded in the four matches he’s played to ten (albeit some of them were not with our first choice defence in front of him). I’ve not heard or read anything after the match about Alnwick being ill and have to say that, based on what I’ve seen of the two of them this season, he should be our first choice keeper.
    You can't do that they were early in the season when we were always conceding loads per game, that's fudging the goals to make him look bad.

That said Alnwick for now, young keepers need a few games to bed in and we can't afford that at this stage of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    You can't do that they were early in the season when we were always conceding loads per game, that's fudging the goals to make him look bad.

That said Alnwick for now, young keepers need a few games to bed in and we can't afford that at this stage of the season.
    I can do that, when we have so little to go on - to be fair to him I should have mentioned that Runnarsson saved a penalty against Blackburn.

I said in my blog that I though Runnarsson was right not to try and get to Osmajic earlier, but, having watched it a few times since, the scorer knocked it about twenty yards in front of him with one of his touches - I now think Runnarsson could have got to that ball first.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can do that, when we have so little to go on - to be fair to him I should have mentioned that Runnarsson saved a penalty against Blackburn.

I said in my blog that I though Runnarsson was right not to try and get to Osmajic earlier, but, having watched it a few times since, the scorer knocked it about twenty yards in front of him with one of his touches - I now think Runnarsson could have got to that ball first.
    His angles were all wrong as well

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    His angles were all wrong as well
    Because he was miles off his line when McGuiness gave the ball away, he had to spring back to goal first which threw his angles out and stopped him from being able to run out early and clear the heavy touch.

Looking back on it, it was a bad pass back to McGuniess in the first place, which really was the cause of the other two players mistakes.