+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Goals drying up - good thing or not?

Goals drying up - good thing or not?

25 goals scored in Bulut's first 7 games. 23 scored in the next 11.

After 7 games (the Coventry 3-2 win) we had the 3rd best scoring record in the division but the 4th worst defensive record. In the matches since then we've got the 3rd best defensive record in the Championship but the 15th best scoring record.

It's clear we couldn't keep conceding goals like we were, but it's had an effect on us in an attacking sense. Our more cautious game is affecting our ability from open play and we're being more reliant on set pieces.

Re: Goals drying up - good thing or not?

And a nightmare to watch.

Maybe the potential signing of Kieffer Moore tells you that Bulut sees it.

Ramsey was available for those first seven games wasn't he - looks like there's a defensive price to pay when he plays, but I'd argue it's worth it because of what we gain as an attacking force.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Ramsey was available for those first seven games wasn't he - looks like there's a defensive price to pay when he plays, but I'd argue it's worth it because of what we gain as an attacking force.
    For a lot of that we were also "inverting" our full backs that left us massively exposed, they both play wider now so I don't think the defensive woes are down to Ramsey's inclusion (he does more running than Robinson as well). In Ramsey's 6 games we also went away to Leeds, Ipswich and Leicester who were responsible for 7 of the 10 goals we conceded with him in the side so there's plenty of context for our early poor defensive record

I think we do play too defensively and are lacking a striker. None of Meite, Etete or Ugbo are good enough to play up there on their own consistently.

Why would goals drying up be a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    Why would goals drying up be a good thing
    We’re conceding less.

International

It was good when they slightly reduced to two goals almost every game, now it looks like the defensive priority has gone a little too far, or maybe teams have sussed us out.

Bulut will know it's a fine balance and will do what he needs to increase the goals in January, improving the technical ability of the players, both by coaching and bringing in new players in addition to O'Dowda and Ramsey.

Overall we are looking ten times better than 12 months ago and that will do for me!