+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Teams dropping through the pyramid system.

Teams dropping through the pyramid system.

My son and I were talking about the teams that have dropped out of the football league and just kept spiralling down since I started watching football in the late 50's.
    That was when teams could be voted out from division 4 as well as those relegated as they are now.
    I wondered if perhaps Workington or maybe Rushden and Diamonds might be the team which has dropped the most through the pyramid system.
    We did not count teams that have been reformed for one reason or another like Halifax or Bury.
    Anybody know for sure?

Re: Teams dropping through the pyramid system.

Quote Originally Posted by cantonboy View Post
    My son and I were talking about the teams that have dropped out of the football league and just kept spiralling down since I started watching football in the late 50's.
    That was when teams could be voted out from division 4 as well as those relegated as they are now.
    I wondered if perhaps Workington or maybe Rushden and Diamonds might be the team which has dropped the most through the pyramid system.
    We did not count teams that have been reformed for one reason or another like Halifax or Bury.
    Anybody know for sure?
    Oldham were premier league, now they are conference

Wokington seem a good shout as they are now in the Northern League. R&D disbanded and reformed about 10 years ago so are another "phoenix" club. Several of the relegation "dodgers" from the 50's are knocking around in the National League including Aldershot and Gateshead.

There's teams like Yeovil and Torquay that are in the 6th tier now

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    darlington and scarborough also

Sheffield FC is the oldest existing club still playing football anywhere in the world. It was founded in October 1857. It once played at the highest level possible, but is now knocking around the 7th/8th tier in the Northern Premier League Division One East.

I try to go and watch them at least once a year. (Whatever happened to 'non League day'?)

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Sheffield FC is the oldest existing club still playing football anywhere in the world. It was founded in October 1857. It once played at the highest level possible, but is now knocking around the 7th/8th tier in the Northern Premier League Division One East.

I try to go and watch them at least once a year. (Whatever happened to 'non League day'?)
    Played some of the top teams but never played in the football league..

Bradford Park Avenue have dropped a long way, not as far as Workington though - Southport are another club in the sixth tier now.

Are there many former Football Leagus clubs still in existence that have dropped as far as Merthyr have?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Bradford Park Avenue have dropped a long way, not as far as Workington though - Southport are another club in the sixth tier now.

Are there many former Football Leagus clubs still in existence that have dropped as far as Merthyr have?
    Locally, Aberdare Town.

http://www.aberdaretownfc.co.uk/history-summary.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Thanks for that, I thought Aberdare Athletic folded once they dropped out of the Football League.

Scarborough are a new club too. As are my club Hereford of course.
    Mind you, back in the day, we'd have gone bust on Friday and carried on as normal on Monday. Plenty did it before it was rightly clamped down on.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Yeovil have been a non-league team for most of their history i.e.all bar 16 years.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Thanks for that, I thought Aberdare Athletic folded once they dropped out of the Football League.
    I think like Merthyr that Aberdare have a nonchalant attitude to going bust and keeping their history.

Some as Sevco/Rangers in Scotland.

Yeovil were promoted to the championship when we 1st left for the Prem

last season Hit Tier 6 ( playing Bath and Chippenham, both local to me ) , next drop will be almost parks football

I have ex work mates who are loyal Yeovil ST holders, it been tough for them

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Yeovil were promoted to the championship when we 1st left for the Prem

last season Hit Tier 6 ( playing Bath and Chippenham, both local to me ) , next drop will be almost parks football

I have ex work mates who are loyal Yeovil ST holders, it been tough for them
    Yeovil are far from dropping further at the moment. They are 5 points clear with a game in hand on their rivals in National League South (two divisions below League Two).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Yeovil are far from dropping further at the moment. They are 5 points clear with a game in hand on their rivals in National League South (two divisions below League Two).
    They looked a decent side in the second half against Wrexham