+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Euros accommodation

Euros accommodation

Anyone else booked accommodation for the Euros? Cancellation allowed of course 😁 I've got somewhere in Berlin and Hamburg. Dortmund looks pretty pricey. I'm thinking maybe somewhere like Essen and get a train in and out. Last train from Hamburg to Essen is 23.05 so it looks feasible. What are others doing? Miserable ****s who think we've got no chance of qualifying need not reply.

Re: Euros accommodation

Be mindful that the German railway system has become less reliable in recent years.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Anyone else booked accommodation for the Euros? Cancellation allowed of course �� I've got somewhere in Berlin and Hamburg. Dortmund looks pretty pricey. I'm thinking maybe somewhere like Essen and get a train in and out. Last train from Hamburg to Essen is 23.05 so it looks feasible. What are others doing? Miserable ****s who think we've got no chance of qualifying need not reply.
    Are you going to watch England then?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Be mindful that the German railway system has become less reliable in recent years.
    As has Volkswagen.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    File under 'miserable ****'

International

File under 'miserable ****'
    realist, group of death for whoever does get through!

We have Hamburg and Berlin booked so far. Still considering other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ryder bluebird View Post
    We have Hamburg and Berlin booked so far. Still considering other possibilities.
    We've booked Hamburg and Berlin city centre. Decided to go with Munster for the Dortmund game. Essen would be really interesting with its coal industry background but Munster looks prettier. Not that much to choose in terms of distance and train availability.

It can't possibly be worse transportwise than the 2016 competition when the ports were blockaded and thus a fuel crisis so we didn't know if we would be able to use our hire car and air traffic control were on strike so we didn't know until 24 hours before we were due to fly out if we would be able to get there. The trains and buses were on strike too. We had a hotel near Bordeaux airport which had a 24 shuttle service. Except it didn't so we had to pay for taxis as £50 a pop. Used to go to France every year but haven't been back since nor do I intend to.

We've booked Hamburg and Berlin city centre. Decided to go with Munster for the Dortmund game. Essen would be really interesting with its coal industry background but Munster looks prettier. Not that much to choose in terms of distance and train availability.

It can't possibly be worse transportwise than the 2016 competition when the ports were blockaded and thus a fuel crisis so we didn't know if we would be able to use our hire car and air traffic control were on strike so we didn't know until 24 hours before we were due to fly out if we would be able to get there. The trains and buses were on strike too. We had a hotel near Bordeaux airport which had a 24 shuttle service. Except it didn't so we had to pay for taxis as £50 a pop. Used to go to France every year but haven't been back since nor do I intend to.
    It may interest you to know that I have visitied France three times in the last year and the transport system served me very well indeed. Admittedly, there weren't any strikes at the time. It's a wonderful country to abandon, old fruit.

EURO 2016, great though it was, ended up very expensive.

If I go, I'll base myself in Berlin, and restrict myself to matches within relatively easy reach in Hamburg (2 hours from Berlin) and Leipzig (one and a bit hours) and give Dortmund (and other central and southern venues) a miss. I had my fill of longer distance train journeys over there last year when I had a month's pass and seemed to go from one overcrowded badly delayed train to another.

That's my current thinking.....but it could, of course, all change depending on if we're there or not and ticket availability more generally (I didn't get a single one from the original ballot).

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    It may interest you to know that I have visitied France three times in the last year and the transport system served me very well indeed. Admittedly, there weren't any strikes at the time. It's a wonderful country to abandon, old fruit.
    I'll take your word for it. We've been holidaying in Italy for several years and love it just as much as France if not more. I'm not tempted to test out your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Peter View Post
    EURO 2016, great though it was, ended up very expensive.

If I go, I'll base myself in Berlin, and restrict myself to matches within relatively easy reach in Hamburg (2 hours from Berlin) and Leipzig (one and a bit hours) and give Dortmund (and other central and southern venues) a miss. I had my fill of longer distance train journeys over there last year when I had a month's pass and seemed to go from one overcrowded badly delayed train to another.

That's my current thinking.....but it could, of course, all change depending on if we're there or not and ticket availability more generally (I didn't get a single one from the original ballot).
    I'm going to the cities where Wales are hopefully playing. If we don't make it I'll review the situation. I may still go.

I'll take your word for it. We've been holidaying in Italy for several years and love it just as much as France if not more. I'm not tempted to test out your recommendation.
    Fair dinkum, old fruit.

Germany should organise a good tournament, i'd love to go even if Wales don't qualify

I visit Germany quite frequently with work ( 3 times in last 4 weeks!) . The trains have become unreliable, lots of delays and cancellations as they seem to be doing lots of repairs / maintenance but I’m sure by the time of the tournament it will be better .

Euro 2016 was wonderful but it did work out expensive. If Wales make it I’m hoping it will work out cheaper, if maybe more difficult to get tickets as we will qualify so late, but probably wishful thinking on the costs!

Dusseldorf or Essien would be great for the Dortmund game .They have a great rail system and it's free if you have a matchday ticket and really cheap if not. Berlin has a fabulous rail network/trams and you could easily stay outside of berlin to keep the cost down.

This booking rooms malarkey, a lot of the fans get so pissed that they don’t make it to said rooms, but sleep on park benches

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I really can’t see a cardiff fan going to the Euros to watch England. Can you?
    Certainly don’t think any cardiff fan of any note has done it before.

I don’t remember any of that.

I went to every Wales game at the 2016 Euros flying to Toulouse and Bordeaux and driving to the rest and it was all fine apart from some bad delays on Eurotunnel meaning that I nearly missed the Belgium game :-o

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I don’t remember any of that.

I went to every Wales game at the 2016 Euros flying to Toulouse and Bordeaux and driving to the rest and it was all fine apart from some bad delays on Eurotunnel meaning that I nearly missed the Belgium game :-o
    I got off lightly. We flew to and from Toulouse as we had a week in Carcassonne first. We had intended to take the train to nearby towns and features but couldn't as they were on strike. I was sitting next to a boy on the plane home who had had to pay £350 for a taxi from Bordeaux as there was literally no public transport running.

Quote Originally Posted by pompey blue View Post
    Dusseldorf or Essien would be great for the Dortmund game .They have a great rail system and it's free if you have a matchday ticket and really cheap if not. Berlin has a fabulous rail network/trams and you could easily stay outside of berlin to keep the cost down.
    I did consider Dusseldorf but as it's also hosting games decided against it.

I got off lightly. We flew to and from Toulouse as we had a week in Carcassonne first. We had intended to take the train to nearby towns and features but couldn't as they were on strike. I was sitting next to a boy on the plane home who had had to pay £350 for a taxi from Bordeaux as there was literally no public transport running.
    Talking of expensive, just reading about the price of tickets for Scotland's opening match with Germany. About 3,000 tickets at 50 euros, 3,435 tickets costing 195 euros, then 2,541 tickets at 400 euros and around 1,000 at 600 euros. Unless you got the 'cheaper' ones you'd think that would take a significant chunk out of most people's tournament budget after one match!

Talking of expensive, just reading about the price of tickets for Scotland's opening match with Germany. About 3,000 tickets at 50 euros, 3,435 tickets costing 195 euros, then 2,541 tickets at 400 euros and around 1,000 at 600 euros. Unless you got the 'cheaper' ones you'd think that would take a significant chunk out of most people's tournament budget after one match!
    Is that because it's Germany? Not like UEFA (and FIFA) to stitch up the fans is it?

Is that because it's Germany? Not like UEFA (and FIFA) to stitch up the fans is it?
    As I understand it, it is because it is the 'showcase' opening match?.

As I understand it, it is because it is the 'showcase' opening match?.
    That's fair enough I suppose.