+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil filled portable radiators

Oil filled portable radiators

The little ones on wheels you can get from argos etc

Are they any good ?

With the energy bills as they are was thinking of grabbing a couple instead of firing up the central heating

Cheaper to run ?

Re: Oil filled portable radiators

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Are they any good ?

With the energy bills as they are was thinking of grabbing a couple instead of firing up the central heating

Cheaper to run ?
    I’ve got one which I use in the room which doesn’t have a radiator. It’s a small room, so it’s good for that, but I wouldn’t use it instead of a radiator in one of the bigger rooms in the house. When I first moved in up here, there was no working boiler so I used the oil radiator a lot for a few weeks - it was in the spring, so it wasn’t too bad, but looking at my electric bill for that time, it was quite expensive,

I’ve got one of these , which appear fairly economical , that said I find more useful in the summer as it offers cool airflow and I know you have complained of heat in the past.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-hea...l/white-nickel

According to Ben Gallizzi, energy expert at Uswitch, it'll cost you 19.8p to keep it running for 12 hours straight. If you had it on for 24 hours a day during a week-long heatwave it would set you back £2.77.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I’ve got one which I use in the room which doesn’t have a radiator. It’s a small room, so it’s good for that, but I wouldn’t use it instead of a radiator in one of the bigger rooms in the house. When I first moved in up here, there was no working boiler so I used the oil radiator a lot for a few weeks - it was in the spring, so it wasn’t too bad, but looking at my electric bill for that time, it was quite expensive,
    I can't be blasting the heat through the main system

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’ve got one of these , which appear fairly economical , that said I find more useful in the summer as it offers cool airflow and I know you have complained of heat in the past.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/fans-and-hea...l/white-nickel

According to Ben Gallizzi, energy expert at Uswitch, it'll cost you 19.8p to keep it running for 12 hours straight. If you had it on for 24 hours a day during a week-long heatwave it would set you back £2.77.
    That's the thing these oil filled rads are pushed but the cost is no advantage is the elec price is so high

I am going to argos in Bridgend

And I am going now

Onwards

That's the thing these oil filled rads are pushed but the cost is no advantage is the elec price is so high
    20p for 12 hours doesn't sound expensive (if true).

I’ve got one for my little office in the house and it does just enough to keep me warm. As I’ve got a 3 story house if I put the heating on it warms two floors when all I need is a bit of warmth in the smallest office room. It’s decent enough.

Hence the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    I’ve got one for my little office in the house and it does just enough to keep me warm. As I’ve got a 3 story house if I put the heating on it warms two floors when all I need is a bit of warmth in the smallest office room. It’s decent enough.
    Same as what I do. Pointless heating the rest of the house when I can shut myself in one room and use one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    You can turn off the rads in the rest of the house ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Same as what I do. Pointless heating the rest of the house when I can shut myself in one room and use one of these.
    Switch on radiator in your room

Switch off radiators elsewhere

If its cheaper to run one rad I will stick with it but I am trying to work out if these mini portable radiators will be cheaper again than the main central heating rad

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hence the wheels.
    Don't come that with me

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    20p for 12 hours doesn't sound expensive (if true).
    It certainly doesn't

electricity is about 3.5 times as expensive as gas for the same amount of energy, but then you have to also factor in how large the area you are heating I.e. 1 room Vs 1 house and also the efficiency of the heaters.
    for 1 room only electric is probably fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    electricity is about 3.5 times as expensive as gas for the same amount of energy, but then you have to also factor in how large the area you are heating I.e. 1 room Vs 1 house and also the efficiency of the heaters.
    for 1 room only electric is probably fine
    I have a cheapo electric fire with fake flames but I rarely put the heat function on that it has as its too expensive

I would think the oil filled rad , run by electricity , is considerably cheaper than that

Switch on radiator in your room

Switch off radiators elsewhere

If its cheaper to run one rad I will stick with it but I am trying to work out if these mini portable radiators will be cheaper again than the main central heating rad
    That's a lot of faffing about each day. I don't know what the cheapest option is, but using a single oil filled rad for about 5 hours a day suits me.

I had a small 800 W oil filled rad ( smallest I could find ), used to use it in the caravan or the VW splity all the time, they used to say it used to cost 2p a hour to run, which I was more than happy with

I used in the conservatory in the milder evenings, it was no good in the depths of winter and it was freezing out there

the only downside is that it just heats the air around it, so if you are 10ft away, you might to feel the warmth for a few hours ( depending on the output of the heater ) , leave it on all the time and it'll keep a room warm though, its just slow as it has no fan

When Council / housing associations / MOD ( ive worked for all 3 ) houses lost heating, we always used to supply these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ch-2000m-...st-2000w/716fy

ive got 2 in the shed for emergencies, they work well and while 2000 W will not be as cheap as 1000 W, they do work well

I fitted one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-sar...te-1500w/195jk

in the mancave / games room, I went with 1500 W as its slightly cheaper to run, I can run all the power ( with this heater included ) from a 13A fixed spur unit ( or a plug if needed ) as its all under 3 KW of power

it heats a 5 M X 3M well insulated space really , last week it was Minus 4 C outside and I was sat in there with a hoodie and some joggers on, when I started boxing ( in VR ) I had to take the Hoodie off, so the heater was well upto the job and cost 40p per hour to run

this site has a calculator with all the tariffs

https://www.sust-it.net/heating-energy-calculator.php

select the size of your heater and away you go

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I had a small 800 W oil filled rad ( smallest I could find ), used to use it in the caravan or the VW splity all the time, they used to say it used to cost 2p a hour to run, which I was more than happy with

I used in the conservatory in the milder evenings, it was no good in the depths of winter and it was freezing out there

the only downside is that it just heats the air around it, so if you are 10ft away, you might to feel the warmth for a few hours ( depending on the output of the heater ) , leave it on all the time and it'll keep a room warm though, its just slow as it has no fan
    Yes 800w is small but fine to keep the chill off

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    When Council / housing associations / MOD ( ive worked for all 3 ) houses lost heating, we always used to supply these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ch-2000m-...st-2000w/716fy

ive got 2 in the shed for emergencies, they work well and while 2000 W will not be as cheap as 1000 W, they do work well

I fitted one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-sar...te-1500w/195jk

in the mancave / games room, I went with 1500 W as its slightly cheaper to run, I can run all the power ( with this heater included ) from a 13A fixed spur unit ( or a plug if needed ) as its all under 3 KW of power

it heats a 5 M X 3M well insulated space really , last week it was Minus 4 C outside and I was sat in there with a hoodie and some joggers on, when I started boxing ( in VR ) I had to take the Hoodie off, so the heater was well upto the job and cost 40p per hour to run

this site has a calculator with all the tariffs

https://www.sust-it.net/heating-energy-calculator.php

select the size of your heater and away you go
    Do these come free standing without the hassle of a wall fix

Easy to a chippy

Are they any good ?

Cheaper to run ?
    Turn the heating on you tight fu**er

Those heaters have mixed reviews on the sites Blue Matt posted. They look like electric heaters, what's the oil component?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    Those heaters have mixed reviews on the sites Blue Matt posted. They look like electric heaters, what's the oil component?
    they are, Screwfix do oil filled though

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-p...-oilfilledrads

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    From what I can gather oil filled radiators at say 1.5 kW cost the same as 1.5 kW Electric heaters wether that be convection or fan