+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oil filled portable radiators

Re: Oil filled portable radiators

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    Not sure if this a joke or a serious post, but I will take it as serious

Did you know that the Foil Bubble insulation is the same as 60mm of rockwool loft insulation, I went with acoustic 60mm rockwool in the walls, 60 mm polystyrene in the floors and roof ( I couldnt justify the cost of PIR like Kingspan or Celotex , as the cost V u Value isnt even close ) , I then double wrapped the inside ( taping the joints ) with the Foil Bubble wrap ( like your YBS )

I then ran some " super Tuff " ( its Not armoured, but its some very thick reinforced 2.5mm T&E cable ( it actually 5mm with protection, but does fit in a plug if you take a little of the protection off as it enters the plug ) cable , then fitted a Fused spur unit ( which can be upgraded to a shed consumer unit when I have the cable connected to the house consumer unit instead of a plug ) in the mancave

Then ran a series of double sockets and 2 fused spur units around the mancave ( 6 doubles and 2 FSU, one for the heater and one for a outside socket )

then I fitted one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-sar...te-1500w/195jk

I went with the 1500 W ( you can get 2000 W ) as its slightly cheaper to run and I can run all the power ( with this heater included ) from the 13A fixed spur unit ( as above ) as its all under 3 KW of power *( this is the important thing if running from a plug or FSU, keep all power use under 3KW, as 3KW a cheap plug top will get warm ( as FSU connection would be safer ) from my point of view, I will always aim for under 2.5 KW

I said earlier in the thread, last week it was Minus 4 C outside and I was sat in there with a hoodie and some joggers on, when I started boxing ( in VR ) I had to take the Hoodie off, this is 5 X 3 M foot print with a 2.3 M High roof , so that gives you a idea of the heat of that heater
    Deadly serious post from me. I'm going to get armoured cable to the shed and will then be able to use it both for storage and for work.

Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr55 View Post
    Deadly serious post from me. I'm going to get armoured cable to the shed and will then be able to use it both for storage and for work.
    armoured makes sense and is the right way to do it, but costs so much, mine is protected by the RCD on the outside socket, so I felt the trade-off was ok, Ive clipped it to the wall, so its out of the way aswell

your building will be a similar size to mine, so the 1500 W will heat it decent enough

armoured makes sense and is the right way to do it, but costs so much, mine is protected by the RCD on the outside socket, so I felt the trade-off was ok, Ive clipped it to the wall, so its out of the way aswell

your building will be a similar size to mine, so the 1500 W will heat it decent enough
    What shed did you buy? Can i view it online?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    What shed did you buy? Can i view it online?
    I built it all from scratch, 75mm X 50mm Stud work, wrapped in building paper then Laplog Cladding ( so looks like a log cabin ), Pan tile roof sheets ( looks like a pan tiled roof, they now use these on static caravans ), then I plasterboarded the insides, Concrete base with OSB floorboard for the floor covered in LVT flooring, a 2nd hand Composite door and Frame, 3 X small UPVC windows ( they were sample window that the sales team from a local window firm had in the sales dept, they changed suppliers so I grabbed 6 of them ) all with as much insulation as I could justify, built a media wall for the TV and games consoles, put my old 4 seater sofa in it, when the wife allows me I will build a small bar in the corner ( but I need to get brownie points by redoing the ensuite 1st ) its a very nice space even if I say so myself

Ive built a 3 X 4 M shed, this 5 X 3 M mancave / place for kids to go with mates and make as much noise as they want , and Ive got enough Cladding and roof material to build a 4 X 3 M building ( this cant be attached to the mancave, as building regs state the max size is 15M2, so will have a small gap between ) which might be a home gym or a small salon for the wife ( if she wants it ) Im currently 22K in on costs, as for the man hours its taken me, its far too long, would I do it all again, not sure to be honest, but it was one of the clauses that I agreed to with my youngest ( who didnt want to move ) when we moved, so ive kept my word, shame its maybe 2 years too late for her to really enjoy

I built it all from scratch, 75mm X 50mm Stud work, wrapped in building paper then Laplog Cladding ( so looks like a log cabin ), Pan tile roof sheets ( looks like a pan tiled roof, they now use these on static caravans ), then I plasterboarded the insides, Concrete base with OSB floorboard for the floor covered in LVT flooring, a 2nd hand Composite door and Frame, 3 X small UPVC windows ( they were sample window that the sales team from a local window firm had in the sales dept, they changed suppliers so I grabbed 6 of them ) all with as much insulation as I could justify, built a media wall for the TV and games consoles, put my old 4 seater sofa in it, when the wife allows me I will build a small bar in the corner ( but I need to get brownie points by redoing the ensuite 1st ) its a very nice space even if I say so myself

Ive built a 3 X 4 M shed, this 5 X 3 M mancave / place for kids to go with mates and make as much noise as they want , and Ive got enough Cladding and roof material to build a 4 X 3 M building ( this cant be attached to the mancave, as building regs state the max size is 15M2, so will have a small gap between ) which might be a home gym or a small salon for the wife ( if she wants it ) Im currently 22K in on costs, as for the man hours its taken me, its far too long, would I do it all again, not sure to be honest, but it was one of the clauses that I agreed to with my youngest ( who didnt want to move ) when we moved, so ive kept my word, shame its maybe 2 years too late for her to really enjoy
    You did it properly then, must've taken plenty of youtube tutorials lol, (unless you're a builder)
    I quite like those pre fab "pods" you can buy. Pretty hassle free but pricey

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    You did it properly then, must've taken plenty of youtube tutorials lol, (unless you're a builder)
    I quite like those pre fab "pods" you can buy. Pretty hassle free but pricey
    Im a Carpenter / Builder

I also had the idea to start building bespoke garden rooms / offices, mine was going to be my " show building ", I then bottled it when I was offered a job ( part time, 1 day per week ) by a garden building company, to liaise / snag the buildings at completion / handover, its needed as this outfit pay the installers a price per job, so its often rushed, so I pop around and snag the building ( if its minor I just do the work and it comes out of the installers money ) if its more than a days work, they go back

the pods are great, they cost way too much and companies are ripping people off with them in a massive way, its a little sad really, that was my idea, A quality Job with a sensible price

Im a Carpenter / Builder

I also had the idea to start building bespoke garden rooms / offices, mine was going to be my " show building ", I then bottled it when I was offered a job ( part time, 1 day per week ) by a garden building company, to liaise / snag the buildings at completion / handover, its needed as this outfit pay the installers a price per job, so its often rushed, so I pop around and snag the building ( if its minor I just do the work and it comes out of the installers money ) if its more than a days work, they go back

the pods are great, they cost way too much and companies are ripping people off with them in a massive way, its a little sad really, that was my idea, A quality Job with a sensible price
    Are there any decent alternatives to an old garden shed for basic tools and some storage ?

Do you mean these pods ?

There must be self assembly units either timber , timber plastic or plastic ?

Security obviously a concern with tools and fishing tackle

People will say DIY but I don't have the skills or knowledge or inclination to build that

I am moving next year and won't have a garage so need an updated modern space , a sort of cross between a traditional garden shed and storage for tools , fishing gear

Is this what a pod is ?

I don't think I would need mains and the build quality you are doing

Maybe they sell them as basic kits and I can get my chippy mate to do it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    People will say DIY but I don't have the skills or knowledge or inclination to build that

I am moving next year and won't have a garage so need an updated modern space , a sort of cross between a traditional garden shed and storage for tools , fishing gear

Is this what a pod is ?

I don't think I would need mains and the build quality you are doing

Maybe they sell them as basic kits and I can get my chippy mate to do it ?
    dont know about cost or size, but a standard large garden shed is 8ft X 6 ft , small is 6ft X 4 ft ( but thats pretty small )

some quality garden sheds about though, treated T & G ( Tongue and Groove ) boards, the thicker the better, 15mm or 18mm
    8ft X 4ft, around £1 K worth, will outlast you

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...itch-apex-shed

Going up in price and quality ( and size in this case ) 28mm log cabin style, the wall " logs " interlock on top of each other ( its very DIY'able till the roof imho ) 8ft X 7 ft, £1700

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...og-cabin/28468

I only linked to them, as I have used them in the past, they are decent enough, Ive even insulated the insides of a few and done them as garden rooms

dont know about cost or size, but a standard large garden shed is 8ft X 6 ft , small is 6ft X 4 ft ( but thats pretty small )

some quality garden sheds about though, treated T & G ( Tongue and Groove ) boards, the thicker the better, 15mm or 18mm
    8ft X 4ft, around £1 K worth, will outlast you

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...itch-apex-shed

Going up in price and quality ( and size in this case ) 28mm log cabin style, the wall " logs " interlock on top of each other ( its very DIY'able till the roof imho ) 8ft X 7 ft, £1700

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...og-cabin/28468

I only linked to them, as I have used them in the past, they are decent enough, Ive even insulated the insides of a few and done them as garden rooms
    Nice one matt thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Nice one matt thanks
    or some thing like this

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...ed-range/24950

28mm walls, you would have to treat it ( stain it ) every now and then as its not pressure treated timber, by yourself a fence sprayer and it'll only 1 hour for a coat of stain

its 10ft X 6ft, so not huge, £1400, with the base

I built one of the above ( it was the 8 X 4 ft one ) for a customer, he was a old boy who wanted a place to go with a small heater and a radio to have a smoke in a comfortable armchair, I insulated the roof with 50mm celotex and plywood and he was happy as hell

or some thing like this

https://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co...ed-range/24950

28mm walls, you would have to treat it ( stain it ) every now and then as its not pressure treated timber, by yourself a fence sprayer and it'll only 1 hour for a coat of stain

its 10ft X 6ft, so not huge, £1400, with the base

I built one of the above ( it was the 8 X 4 ft one ) for a customer, he was a old boy who wanted a place to go with a small heater and a radio to have a smoke in a comfortable armchair, I insulated the roof with 50mm celotex and plywood and he was happy as hell
    The place I am probably moving into has something that size but I think it's beyond repair in the state its in

500 quid labour to put that up ?

Day plus snagging ?

Ha! A bit far away from me
    Right so it's this one

https://www.forestgarden.co.uk/produ...s-double-door/

Ship lap timber
    Wooden panels that sit on a breezeblock base that over hang to let the water run off. I'm planning on putting the YBS insulation to the floor, putting thin hardboard down and a mixture of either laminate and carpet or tiles and carpet.
    I'll be probably using 9.5mm plasterboard
    It's an apex ceiling so not sure of the angle but it is approx 2.4m at the highest point

I've not considered the smokeless pit but will look into it

I've not considered the smokeless pit but will look into it
    It'll singe yer eyebrows....

Right so it's this one

https://www.forestgarden.co.uk/produ...s-double-door/

Ship lap timber
    Wooden panels that sit on a breezeblock base that over hang to let the water run off. I'm planning on putting the YBS insulation to the floor, putting thin hardboard down and a mixture of either laminate and carpet or tiles and carpet.
    I'll be probably using 9.5mm plasterboard
    It's an apex ceiling so not sure of the angle but it is approx 2.4m at the highest point
    My advice

you mention you want to use it as an office?, I guess thats all year round ? ? ? all day ? ? ? and I guess them answer will dictate how much you want to throw at it

right, insulation will be your biggest friend here, when the shed is erected, you will have space between the uprights, fill that void, if the void is 40mm, fill it, you can get 40mm Polystyrene ( you can get 35mm and 25mm ) just fill that void, then staple your foil bubble wrap on the insides of the uprights, tape the joints, this acts as a moisture barrier ( keeps it out, will also keep the warm air in )

I have just searched and found the upright sizes ( its 28 x 28 framing ) so use 25mm Polystyrene, if you really want it warmer and dont mind spending a little more, you could buy some roofing batten ( 25 X 38mm ), plant it on the framing and use 50mm Polystyrene, 50mm and the foil bubble wrap and you will be lovely and toasty

yes 9.5mm Plasterboard for the walls, get the tapered edge board and then you can tape and fill it

Now the insulation on the roof, once again, as much as possible, fill that void and use bubble wrap, the boards on the roof is a tricky one, that roof will not be designed to carry too much weight, maybe look at the really lightweight T&G boards, B&Q are always the thinest, its cheap crap and will have knots and flaws, but it super lightweight and its what I fit on converted shed roofs, 9.5mm plasterboard is heavy

https://www.diy.com/departments/spru.../139314_BQ.prd

you can paint it a nice pastel colour and it looks nice imho

the trouble with putting the hardboard down over the YBS, it'll flatten it and the air bubble will squeeze out, thus little insulation, if height allows and it will be tight, run some 25mm roofing battens on the floor, fill the void with 25mm Polystyrene, foil bubble wrap over the top ( maybe even under the Polystyrene aswell ), then 12mm OSB over the top of it all, you won't need the hardboard, you can put the laminate / carpet / LVT flooring directly over the top of the OSB

you have then basically changed your shed to a cheap timber framed room, sure its not as insulated as a house, but its a hell of alot more insulated than a shed, spend the money now, get it right and it will keep you warm

of course, them windows are never going to be that warm, you might decide if you are spending 8 hours a day In it, see how it goes, if they lose alot of heat ( and they will ) change the acrylic sheets for double glazed units ( but you are talking a couple of hundred quid for that )

I would be happy to move into my mancave, safe in the knowledge that the 1500W heater works well and will keep the room warm, Infact my oldest has said when she Comes back from Uni, she could move in, it needs a toilet and shower, a small kitchen pod and it'll be good enough to live in ( with the 4 X 3M addition ) but it comes down to insulation and more insulation