+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil filled portable radiators

Re: Oil filled portable radiators

VIZ top tip. feeling the cold? just set fire to your house , you'll be warm for a few hours and hey presto no more energy bills.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I have looked at a site comparing halogen heaters and oil filled rads and similar devices

It appears you are correct if the halogen heater is kept to 500k kW or thereabouts

So I stand corrected

I therefore intend to have a small oil based rad in my pit of sleeping death and a 500 kW halogen heater in my front room

I think I am uneasy with that naked heated element of the halogen heaters and wouldn't like to leave it on for an hour in the way I would an oil rad in my room

If you can convince me they are safe then I will get two of them

If you have a link to your low energy model then that would be appreciated as I don't want to end up in the burns unit at Morriston

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    I have looked at a site comparing halogen heaters and oil filled rads and similar devices

It appears you are correct if the halogen heater is kept to 500k kW or thereabouts

So I stand corrected

I therefore intend to have a small oil based rad in my pit of sleeping death and a 500 kW halogen heater in my front room

I think I am uneasy with that naked heated element of the halogen heaters and wouldn't like to leave it on for an hour in the way I would an oil rad in my room

If you have a link to your low energy model then that would be appreciated as I don't want to end up in the burns unit at Morriston

Cheers
    Don't go to sleep with a portable heater turned on in your room ffs. You'll end up like Simon Weston.

Halogen heaters turn off if they are tipped.
    When I leave the room, I always switch it off - and switch it back on for INSTANT heat when I return. It's as easy a switching the light on and off.
    The only risk is getting too close to it - which is the kebab effect. Never happened to me.
    I bought mine from Groupon, but they are available at several outlets. Amazon sell the 1200 Kw model for under £20

Halogen heaters turn off if they are tipped.
    When I leave the room, I always switch it off - and switch it back on for INSTANT heat when I return. It's as easy a switching the light on and off.
    The only risk is getting too close to it - which is the kebab effect. Never happened to me.
    I bought mine from Groupon, but they are available at several outlets. Amazon sell the 1200 Kw model for under £20
    Brand ?

Brand ?
    Oddly, I accessed Amazon and searched 'halogen heater 1200w' and the first page had this: 1200W Halogen Heater - Instant Heat With 3 Settings | Ideal For Winter - Home, Office, Living Room, Caravan, Garages | Warm Oscillating Function Watt 3 Bars, Free Standing, Resistant Base & Compact.
    Talk about being spoonfed...

Oddly, I accessed Amazon and searched 'halogen heater 1200w' and the first page had this: 1200W Halogen Heater - Instant Heat With 3 Settings | Ideal For Winter - Home, Office, Living Room, Caravan, Garages | Warm Oscillating Function Watt 3 Bars, Free Standing, Resistant Base & Compact.
    Talk about being spoonfed...
    That's very kind of you

I wouldn't want to be buying poundland quality

That's very kind of you

I'm all armpit, me

I'm all armpit, me
    If my house burns down and I snuff it I will be knocking on your door

That's very kind of you

Sludge has just booked a flight to Brazil to access the Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Sludge has just booked a flight to Brazil to access the Amazon.
    I don't live in Brazil, as you well know

Yes

It's 9 inches
    Ha, mines 12" but I don't use it as a rule?

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Ding Dong

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln blue View Post
    Mine’s only an inch & a half………………. From the fecking floor

Isn't gas quite a bit cheaper than electricity? Or has that changed since sanctions on Russia?

Put a jumper on and start ranting to yourself - the amount of surplus hot air you generate will keep you warm all day

'Oil filled portable radiators' - 4 pages long, almost as long as some of the match-day threads on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    'Oil filled portable radiators' - 4 pages long, almost as long as some of the match-day threads on here.
    It's more interesting than what was on offer at Cardiff City Stadium today

So I have a 12x8 shed that's going to have the YBS bubble insulation and will be boarded, what heater would work best if I was to use the shed as an office?

Quote Originally Posted by waynekerr55 View Post
    So I have a 12x8 shed that's going to have the YBS bubble insulation and will be boarded, what heater would work best if I was to use the shed as an office?

I am surprised you are not getting leathered on the mumbles mile after todays win !

Christ. Here comes a 12-pager.

I am surprised you are not getting leathered on the mumbles mile after todays win !
    Ha! A bit far away from me

Need much more info.

Of what species of wood is the shed constructed?
    What is the thickness of the insulation?
    With what material are you lining the shed walls - and thickness?
    Is the roof insulated?
    What is the shed's pitch-angle?
    On what is the floor of the shed standing?
    What temperature in the shed do you require?
    Will mains gas be run to the shed?
    Are you concerned about any fire hazards?
    Have you considered the smokeless Solo Fire Pit?

Solo Fire Pit.jpg

Not sure if this a joke or a serious post, but I will take it as serious

Did you know that the Foil Bubble insulation is the same as 60mm of rockwool loft insulation, I went with acoustic 60mm rockwool in the walls, 60 mm polystyrene in the floors and roof ( I couldnt justify the cost of PIR like Kingspan or Celotex , as the cost V u Value isnt even close ) , I then double wrapped the inside ( taping the joints ) with the Foil Bubble wrap ( like your YBS )

I then ran some " super Tuff " ( its Not armoured, but its some very thick reinforced 2.5mm T&E cable ( it actually 5mm with protection, but does fit in a plug if you take a little of the protection off as it enters the plug ) cable , then fitted a Fused spur unit ( which can be upgraded to a shed consumer unit when I have the cable connected to the house consumer unit instead of a plug ) in the mancave

Then ran a series of double sockets and 2 fused spur units around the mancave ( 6 doubles and 2 FSU, one for the heater and one for a outside socket )

then I fitted one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-sar...te-1500w/195jk

I went with the 1500 W ( you can get 2000 W ) as its slightly cheaper to run and I can run all the power ( with this heater included ) from the 13A fixed spur unit ( as above ) as its all under 3 KW of power *( this is the important thing if running from a plug or FSU, keep all power use under 3KW, as 3KW a cheap plug top will get warm ( as FSU connection would be safer ) from my point of view, I will always aim for under 2.5 KW

I said earlier in the thread, last week it was Minus 4 C outside and I was sat in there with a hoodie and some joggers on, when I started boxing ( in VR ) I had to take the Hoodie off, this is 5 X 3 M foot print with a 2.3 M High roof , so that gives you a idea of the heat of that heater

The output of this panel is 1500 W.
    It has only one output setting.
    To estimate the hourly cost, this should be multiplied by the KWh shown on your bill.
    For comparisons sake the output of a halogen heater on its lowest setting is 400 W.
    So this heater at a 400 W setting is around 25% cheaper than the Blyss Saris panel heater (1500/400).