+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil filled portable radiators

Re: Oil filled portable radiators

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    they are, Screwfix do oil filled though

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-p...-oilfilledrads
    So would the oil or electric version be cheaper or are the same if the kW rating is the same ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Heathblue View Post
    Turn the heating on you tight fu**er
    I am saving up for a ccfc wall clock

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Do these come free standing without the hassle of a wall fix

Easy to a chippy
    they do, I always like to stay under 2KW, as we know the UK plug can handle that in one it without getting too hot

the 500 W Skirting rad's are fairly low cost to buy and run

maybe try one of them, if its not warm enough, you could get a 2nd to put in the room, even out the heat on 2 sides ( depends on the size of your room, you could just leave it on 24/7 )

https://www.screwfix.com/p/glen-2150...-x-211mm/992hv

500 W costs 14p a hour to run

the 1500 or 1800 W heater would be my choice though

https://www.toolstation.com/airmaste...-heater/p75252

https://www.toolstation.com/airmaste...-heater/p37573

Airmaster are a good brand

its free standing, under 2KW, plug in and feel the warmth

From what I can gather oil filled radiators at say 1.5 kW cost the same as 1.5 kW Electric heaters wether that be convection or fan
    thats how I understand it, 1500 W is 1500 W of power costs the same

the Oil will in theory give of slightly more heat as its made of fin shapes, so more surface area to warm up the air, but im not sure the %

the ones I listed that NO1927 said the reviews were mixed, they are cheap as hell, so they will never be as good as the £150 heaters

So would the oil or electric version be cheaper or are the same if the kW rating is the same ?

Cheers
    as I said above, I was under the impression that 1500 W is 1500 W and costs are similar , apart from the shape of the oil rad and the oil stays warm for longer, so you can turn the oil rad off and it'll stay warm for a while, but the downside to that is that the oil takes a while to warm up ( thus needs to be on longer )

just did a quick search and I still think its a much of muchness

https://www.jackstonehouse.com/blog/...vector-heater/

thats how I understand it, 1500 W is 1500 W of power costs the same

the Oil will in theory give of slightly more heat as its made of fin shapes, so more surface area to warm up the air, but im not sure the %

the ones I listed that NO1927 said the reviews were mixed, they are cheap as hell, so they will never be as good as the £150 heaters
    Cheers matt

I hear the same about the fin rads but those skirting panel type look good

Either way if I go for 1 kW it's going to be cheaper in a couple of rooms than firing up the big boys

Nice one

as I said above, I was under the impression that 1500 W is 1500 W and costs are similar , apart from the shape of the oil rad and the oil stays warm for longer, so you can turn the oil rad off and it'll stay warm for a while, but the downside to that is that the oil takes a while to warm up ( thus needs to be on longer )

just did a quick search and I still think its a much of muchness

https://www.jackstonehouse.com/blog/...vector-heater/
    Appreciate this

Appreciate this

Been through all this.
    Oil-filled rads are more expensive to run in one small room than a halogen heater (around £24 to buy, and about 13p an hour to run on lowest setting ).
    Having researched the Dyson AM, and prepared to shell out £400, I am not convinced they are economical. The promoted running cost seems to be based on the cooling phase not heating. If this was exceptionally cheap to heat a room, it would be trumpeted all over the internet. It isn't. There's a reason for that. Also, there is still an issue with noise at the higher settings.
    Do not use an electrical fire - far too expensive.
    We have a blast of central heating all through the house first thing in the morning cos I am concerned about the fabric of the house and condensation. There is also the option of using TRVs to turn off the heating in individual rooms not used. Then, we use either the gas fire and/or the halogen heater depending whether one or two rooms are being used.
    We also 'Karcher' the windows in the morning to get rid the condensation. Takes five mins.
    To be warm is so important for one's physical and mental wellbeing, and we need to bite the bullet of high fuel bills.
    We installed a new heating system and gas fire about a year ago which are super efficient and I also renewed the loft insulation about the same time.
    Taking all these steps is pretty obvious. The alternative is hot water bottles, multiple layers of clothing, blankets and bobble hats. Three or four months of that a year is a living nightmare IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Been through all this.
    Oil-filled rads are more expensive to run in one small room than a halogen heater (around £24 to buy, and about 13p an hour to run on lowest setting ).
    Having researched the Dyson AM, and prepared to shell out £400, I am not convinced they are economical. The promoted running cost seems to be based on the cooling phase not heating. If this was exceptionally cheap to heat a room, it would be trumpeted all over the internet. It isn't. There's a reason for that. Also, there is still an issue with noise at the higher settings.
    We have a blast of central heating all through the house first thing in the morning cos I am concerned about the fabric of the house and condensation. There is also the option of using TRVs to turn off the heating in individual rooms not used. Then, we use either the gas fire and/or the halogen heater depending whether one or two rooms are being used.
    We also 'Karcher' the windows in the morning to get rid the condensation. Takes five mins.
    To be warm is so important for one's physical and mental wellbeing, and we need to bite the bullet of high fuel bills.
    We installed a new heating system and gas fire about a year ago which are super efficient and I also renewed the loft insulation about the same time.
    Taking all these steps is pretty obvious. The alternative is hot water bottles, multiple layers of clothing, blankets and bobble hats. Three or four months of that a year is a living nightmare IMO.
    Halogen heaters are the same cost as electric fires as oil radiators as far as I van work out ?

A 1.5 kW heater , fire or radiator all use that energy which is the cost ?

Been through all this.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recommen...20a%20radiator

According to this oil filled radiators on a low setting are the cheapest , halogen heaters more pricey

If you want to heat an area by 10 degrees it doesn't matter the power rating or type of heater - it will always cost the same in electricity usage. That's assuming the heaters have the same efficiency (they are all about 98-99% efficient).

The only things you need to consider regarding what type/ power to buy is how quickly do you want to heat the room and how much do you want to pay for a heater. Source: My mate did his Physics doctorate on heating systems and I asked him!

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    If you want to heat an area by 10 degrees it doesn't matter the power rating or type of heater - it will always cost the same in electricity usage. That's assuming the heaters have the same efficiency (they are all about 98-99% efficient).

The only things you need to consider regarding what type/ power to buy is how quickly do you want to heat the room and how much do you want to pay for a heater. Source: My mate did his Physics doctorate on heating systems and I asked him!
    from the links above, Oil filled takes longer to heat

Im a firm believer of a small amount of heat ( low W heater ) on for longer, but having said that, 12 hours of a 500 W heater will cost the same as a 1000 W on for 6 hours, so it doesnt make sense what I believe in

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post

Listen sonny

Give it to me straight

A 1.5 kW oil radiator

Or a 1.5 kW halogen heater

What's the best way of cheaply and efficiently heating a front room

Keep it simple , I am an idiot

Cheers

from the links above, Oil filled takes longer to heat

Im a firm believer of a small amount of heat ( low W heater ) on for longer, but having said that, 12 hours of a 500 W heater will cost the same as a 1000 W on for 6 hours, so it doesnt make sense what I believe in
    As above

Keep it simple for idiots like me

As you were

Listen sonny

Give it to me straight

A 1.5 kW oil radiator

Or a 1.5 kW halogen heater

What's the best way of cheaply and efficiently heating a front room

Keep it simple , I am an idiot

Cheers
    It's all very simply explained for you. Why do you do this on every thread you start? Respond by calling everyone Sonny and completely ignore everyone's advice. Do you have a willy problem?

Just turn off the heating and pop to 'Spoons for a few hours.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/recommen...20a%20radiator

According to this oil filled radiators on a low setting are the cheapest , halogen heaters more pricey

That article is quoting the cost of halogen heaters at a max output 1500 Kw.
    I have the halogen heater on its lowest 400 Kw setting which costs about 12p an hour - compare that with the running costs of oil filled rads and electric fires.
    The electric fires and oil filled rads give CONVECTED heat. Halogen heaters give RADIANT heat and when near a person in a small room provide adequate heating for comfort at the lowest setting for the cheapest cost.
    It's really very simple.

That article is quoting the cost of halogen heaters at a max output 1500 Kw.
    I have the halogen heater on its lowest 400 Kw setting which costs about 12p an hour - compare that with the running costs of oil filled rads and electric fires.
    The electric fires and oil filled rads give CONVECTED heat. Halogen heaters give RADIANT heat and when near a person in a small room provide adequate heating for comfort at the lowest setting for the cheapest cost.
    It's really very simple.
    Not to me it isn't

I really don't want a halogen heater because you switch it on and that's great but once switched on the heats gone

I calculated the cost of running our energy-efficient gas fire this morning - based on our tariff.
    Asked Mrs Cyclops how much she thought it cost to use the fire an hour. Answer: ''Bout a pound''.
    It's actually 22p an hour and heats the whole room cos its convected heat.
    Then I checked our bill. We are £400 in credit - and last year BG refunded more than £600.
    Guess we must be doing something right

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    It's all very simply explained for you. Why do you do this on every thread you start? Respond by calling everyone Sonny and completely ignore everyone's advice. Do you have a willy problem?
    Yes

It's 9 inches

once switched on the heats gone
    What sort of drugs/solvents are you on?

Not to me it isn't
    I really don't want a halogen heater because you switch it on and that's great but once switched on the heats gone
    Must apologise.
    I totally misunderstood your post
    I thought you were enquiring about the cost of heating.

Must apologise.
    I totally misunderstood your post
    I thought you were enquiring about the cost of heating.
    I am

What is the cheapest way to heat a smaller room if you are not switching on the central heating

The link I provided suggests oil rads are

I am

What is the cheapest way to heat a smaller room if you are not switching on the central heating

The link I provided suggests oil rads are