+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff City Former Player's Association

Cardiff City Former Player's Association

This looks like a really good initiative - and long overdue!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...rs-association

Ahead of our 125th year the Club is supporting a new initiative to unite those who have worn the shirt and promote friendship, belonging and pastoral support…

It’s with great pleasure that we can announce that Cardiff City Football Club are supporting the launch of a new Former Players' Association.

The FPA has five key purposes, namely:

- To unite those male and female players who have worn the shirt and recognise the valued contribution that they have made to the club.
    - To promote friendship, pastoral support, and practical assistance to members in need.
    - To recognise and mark special occasions in the club’s history.
    - To reconnect supporters with club legends from years gone by.
    - To reacquaint former players with Club community and support schemes, including Cardiff City Foundation and Cardiff City Disabled Supporters’ Association.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, said of the re-launch: “We are delighted to help support this initiative to reconnect our former players with the Club. These legends and icons are part of Cardiff City’s rich history, and their contributions will be forever valued. We want them to feel welcome and that they will always be a huge part of our Club.”

The FPA’s Interim Board will consist of former players Roger Gibbins, David Giles, Lee Jarman, Gary Bell and Damon Searle; Cardiff City Medical Director, Professor Len Nokes; Club Historian and Journalist, Terry Phillips; and will be supported by senior Club executives. The board are also actively seeking a Women’s Team representative and expressions of interest are welcome.

Each month, former players signed up to free FPA membership will receive a digital newsletter highlighting upcoming fixtures, events and key club news. Further detail will be replicated via the Club’s matchday programme and official communications channels, with FPA fund-raising opportunities also promoted.

Speaking ahead of the launch, Interim Chair Roger Gibbins said: “Ever since I joined this fantastic Club in 1982, I have seen first-hand how important it is for the Club as a whole to be working towards a common goal. I have been keen to establish a FPA for many years now, as I think it is so important for a football team and its community to stay connected with their former players. I’m extremely excited we can do this, especially for our supporters who identify with the history of the Club and really love to see former players returning, bringing back fond memories of past glory days. I am so pleased to have the Club leading the way with this initiative. I believe it is going to be something that will be welcomed by everyone associated with Cardiff City Football Club. We have a variety of exciting ideas to showcase with the support of the Club and its supporters. We can’t wait to share them with you all.

Re: Cardiff City Former Player's Association

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    This looks like a really good initiative - and long overdue!

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...rs-association

Ahead of our 125th year the Club is supporting a new initiative to unite those who have worn the shirt and promote friendship, belonging and pastoral support…

It’s with great pleasure that we can announce that Cardiff City Football Club are supporting the launch of a new Former Players' Association.

The FPA has five key purposes, namely:

- To unite those male and female players who have worn the shirt and recognise the valued contribution that they have made to the club.
    - To promote friendship, pastoral support, and practical assistance to members in need.
    - To recognise and mark special occasions in the club’s history.
    - To reconnect supporters with club legends from years gone by.
    - To reacquaint former players with Club community and support schemes, including Cardiff City Foundation and Cardiff City Disabled Supporters’ Association.

Cardiff City FC Executive Director & CEO, Ken Choo, said of the re-launch: “We are delighted to help support this initiative to reconnect our former players with the Club. These legends and icons are part of Cardiff City’s rich history, and their contributions will be forever valued. We want them to feel welcome and that they will always be a huge part of our Club.”

The FPA’s Interim Board will consist of former players Roger Gibbins, David Giles, Lee Jarman, Gary Bell and Damon Searle; Cardiff City Medical Director, Professor Len Nokes; Club Historian and Journalist, Terry Phillips; and will be supported by senior Club executives. The board are also actively seeking a Women’s Team representative and expressions of interest are welcome.

Each month, former players signed up to free FPA membership will receive a digital newsletter highlighting upcoming fixtures, events and key club news. Further detail will be replicated via the Club’s matchday programme and official communications channels, with FPA fund-raising opportunities also promoted.

Speaking ahead of the launch, Interim Chair Roger Gibbins said: “Ever since I joined this fantastic Club in 1982, I have seen first-hand how important it is for the Club as a whole to be working towards a common goal. I have been keen to establish a FPA for many years now, as I think it is so important for a football team and its community to stay connected with their former players. I’m extremely excited we can do this, especially for our supporters who identify with the history of the Club and really love to see former players returning, bringing back fond memories of past glory days. I am so pleased to have the Club leading the way with this initiative. I believe it is going to be something that will be welcomed by everyone associated with Cardiff City Football Club. We have a variety of exciting ideas to showcase with the support of the Club and its supporters. We can’t wait to share them with you all.
    As you say, not before time. City were mentioned by Ian Walsh on this week’s Eli’s James podcast - he was saying that most of his former clubs are great for former players groups, but City weren’t and Iwan Roberts told of how he, as the club’s third highest scorer apparently, had to provide proof of identity to get in one day at Norwich!

What a nice initiative. Fair play, the club have come on leaps and bounds in the last few years with these sort of things.

Fan/community engagement seems to be much better recently.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As you say, not before time. City were mentioned by Ian Walsh on this week’s Eli’s James podcast - he was saying that most of his former clubs are great for former players groups, but City weren’t and Iwan Roberts told of how he, as the club’s third highest scorer apparently, had to provide proof of identity to get in one day at Norwich!
    Ian Walsh has Prostate Cancer at the moment, but it's been caught early. Good luck to him. I was a schoolboy when he at the club and i can recall his arduous injury problems which eventually finished him as a footballer. I was playing in some game with a mixed age group, it could have been trials or something similar. Walsh turned up with the physio, Jimmy 'The Ice Man' Goodfellow and came on for the last 20 minutes. He was recovering from Injury still, wan't yet fit. I remember Walsh receiving the ball and one of the trialists going straight through the back of him. He was taken off instantly. Even as a young kid i couldn't believe how crazy it was of the club to throw him on in a game like that or even stop the game and brief the opposition. The good old days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Ian Walsh has Prostate Cancer at the moment, but it's been caught early. Good luck to him. I was a schoolboy when he at the club and i can recall his arduous injury problems which eventually finished him as a footballer. I was playing in some game with a mixed age group, it could have been trials or something similar. Walsh turned up with the physio, Jimmy 'The Ice Man' Goodfellow and came on for the last 20 minutes. He was recovering from Injury still, wan't yet fit. I remember Walsh receiving the ball and one of the trialists going straight through the back of him. He was taken off instantly. Even as a young kid i couldn't believe how crazy it was of the club to throw him on in a game like that or even stop the game and brief the opposition. The good old days.....
    That’s so unprofessional of City. Did you listen to Walsh on the Elis James podcast? He said that, in essence, he was finished at 22.

That’s so unprofessional of City. Did you listen to Walsh on the Elis James podcast? He said that, in essence, he was finished at 22.
    I didn't, but i will. He was a good player, great spring. Graham Moseley blamed City for finishing him off. He played on with a broken wrist after having it assessed at half time by the physio at the time, although i suppose that kind of thing went on loads before proper medical teams and qualified Physiotherapists.

Typo? 32 not 22

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Typo? 32 not 22
    No, he said 22 - I think what he meant was that all of his best football was played before that age.

No, he said 22 - I think what he meant was that all of his best football was played before that age.
    Well he managed to play for another 11 years after that, but maybe not at the same level and not making as many appearances per season has he did at the start.

I listen to Radio Wales snd Ian Walsh always seems really anti Cardiff and pro Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    I listen to Radio Wales snd Ian Walsh always seems really anti Cardiff and pro Swansea
    This.
    Proper jack.

I've always thought it odd that the club don't have much to do with ex-players. Okay, some of them I'm not that bothered about, but it would be good to see some of the old stagers back occasionally.