+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales Piza rankings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wales Piza rankings

Most of what we are seeing here can be explained by socio economic differences. Wales is and has always been amongst the poorest parts of the UK (and will always be the case as long as we remain in the UK). If you look at similar parts of England (i.e. the North East) then Wales' results are pretty similar.
    Also sadly, one of the things that emerged during covid was that the disruption to school had a far more pronounced effect on poorer pupils than it did on richer ones.
    Taking those things into account the changes in performance since the last pisa scores are basically the same

The Labour party in Wales have been in power for 26 years, Education is a 100% devolved power.
    The education budget has just been cut by the Labour party - along with all other budgets other than Climate Change.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Most of what we are seeing here can be explained by socio economic differences. Wales is and has always been amongst the poorest parts of the UK (and will always be the case as long as we remain in the UK). If you look at similar parts of England (i.e. the North East) then Wales' results are pretty similar.
    Also sadly, one of the things that emerged during covid was that the disruption to school had a far more pronounced effect on poorer pupils than it did on richer ones.
    Taking those things into account the changes in performance since the last pisa scores are basically the same
    Nonsense it's because Wales locked down longer and enjoyed work from home and close the schools, Drakeford wasn't concerned about education, he wanted to be different from England, worse different, much worse different, totally idiotic different it didn't matter, he had his thirty seconds of fame, look at me butt I'm different, why won't proper politicians talk to me butt, I want to lock down for years see!

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Nonsense it's because Wales locked down longer and enjoyed work from home and close the schools, Drakeford wasn't concerned about education, he wanted to be different from England, worse different, much worse different, totally idiotic different it didn't matter, he had his thirty seconds of fame, look at me butt I'm different, why won't proper politicians talk to me butt, I want to lock down for years see!
    No way should kids been kept out that long, no doubt ruined many.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No way should kids been kept out that long, no doubt ruined many.
    It damaged them no doubt, there will be after-effects on their mental health for the rest of their lives, ultra long lockdowns were terrible, the first one was bad enough, but to drag that one out and have more was criminal.

nonsense? speak to any primary school teacher, and they will tell you that kids from poorer families suffered a lot more from schools being closed

International

nonsense? speak to any primary school teacher, and they will tell you that kids from poorer families suffered a lot more from schools being closed
    Yes but poorer kids in Wales suffered more than pooer kids in England look at the PISA RANKINGS.

Because while your mate was on furlough English school teachers were back in school, and when your mate went back they worked from home and kept the schools closed for longer than in England.

Wales attitude was sod the economy sod the kids we will lock down for as long as we can, and demand the furlough from Westminster. It was only when that dried up they reluctantly unlocked but insisted on work from home also for as log as possible.

Yes but poorer kids in Wales suffered more than pooer kids in England look at the PISA RANKINGS.

Because while your mate was on furlough English school teachers were back in school, and when your mate went back they worked from home and kept the schools closed for longer than in England.

Wales attitude was sod the economy sod the kids we will lock down for as long as we can, and demand the furlough from Westminster. It was only when that dried up they reluctantly unlocked but insisted on work from home also for as log as possible.
    no, the difference is more down to the fact that poorer pupils make up a significantly larger proportion of the population in Wales compared to England, rather than that we had home schooling for 2 weeks longer or whatever it was.
    I know teachers in England and Wales who say the same thing, the disparity between kids from families who were able to support their education during lockdown and those who weren't is staggering. some kids are finishing primary school unable to read or do basic maths, while others are hitting the required levels.
    I can remember when my kids had online classes my youngests classes only ever had about half the pupils logging on maximum, and some kids didn't attend a single online session for the entire duration.
    the quality and quantity of online provision seemed to vary massively between classes as some teachers didn't seem to get to grips with it (and some seemed to treat it as a extended holiday)

International

no, the difference is more down to the fact that poorer pupils make up a significantly larger proportion of the population in Wales compared to England, rather than that we had home schooling for 2 weeks longer or whatever it was.
    I know teachers in England and Wales who say the same thing, the disparity between kids from families who were able to support their education during lockdown and those who weren't is staggering. some kids are finishing primary school unable to read or do basic maths, while others are hitting the required levels.
    I can remember when my kids had online classes my youngests classes only ever had about half the pupils logging on maximum, and some kids didn't attend a single online session for the entire duration.
    the quality and quantity of online provision seemed to vary massively between classes as some teachers didn't seem to get to grips with it (and some seemed to treat it as a extended holiday)
    Nonsense, it's because teachers worked from home here and standards set by Drippy and co are lower, it's not a priority speed and speed signs and fines are more important in Wales. We are dropping year by year while our wealth in relation to England remains the same.

You keep trying to use this excuse for every Welsh government failing, it's just a soppy excuse for terrible performance.