+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Very scrappy win lifts Cardiff to seventh after a first half from Hell.

Very scrappy win lifts Cardiff to seventh after a first half from Hell.

Bulut praises his substitutes as late set piece goal decides it.

https://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Re: Very scrappy win lifts Cardiff to seventh after a first half from Hell.

Usual great review Bob
    I fail to see what Ugbo does at all. I'm amazed he makes the squad let alone starts. Could it be a clause with Chelsea that he has to play x number of games?At least Meite puts himself about. They know he's there, and to be fair I thought he was more effective when he went out on the right.
    I read somewhere else on here someone saying our keeper did OK and will grow in confidence. I'm 60 in a couple of weeks time and was only ever a park's keeper, but I'd be disappointed now if I couldn't have kept a clean sheet yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    Usual great review Bob
    I fail to see what Ugbo does at all. I'm amazed he makes the squad let alone starts. Could it be a clause with Chelsea that he has to play x number of games?At least Meite puts himself about. They know he's there, and to be fair I thought he was more effective when he went out on the right.
    I read somewhere else on here someone saying our keeper did OK and will grow in confidence. I'm 60 in a couple of weeks time and was only ever a park's keeper, but I'd be disappointed now if I couldn't have kept a clean sheet yesterday
    He’s awful and I hope he can be returned if Kieffer comes in.

Meite is crap regardless of his effort levels but not as ineffective as Ugbo

The match felt like the dross we had in the Slade years. Awful football, but scraping together enough wins to see us flirting with top6. Bob mentions worst match he'd seen, mine was Rotherham, 0-0, in Slade's time. (Credit to Slade, though for keeping us afloat).
    We clearly need several players to make us serious top 6 contenders. In the meantime I hope Ugbo never starts a game again, Etete goes up top and Meite on the wing in place of Bowler, who flatters to deceive.

Usual great review Bob
    Clause with Chelsea??? He’s on Lian from Troyes.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    Clause with Chelsea??? He’s on Lian from Troyes.
    Thanks for putting me straight
    That’s how little impact he’s had on me . I haven’t a bloody clue who he is, and even less of a clue what he does.

Bob, you alluded to us potentially slipping down the table to occupy a position we did for the majority of last season. As one who tends to look towards the bottom of the league table to convince myself we should be OK from relegation before I harbour any thoughts of making it into the play-offs, I thought I would look into this further.

Without wishing to put the mockers on us, realistically every one of the 15 teams below the City will have to accrue more points than us in the second half of the season and I can't see this happening, even with a Mick McCarthy type meltdown. I've excluded Sheff Wed and Rotherham from the equation because in my opinion neither of those teams should be capable of turning around a 17 point deficit, which leaves only the 22nd place up for grabs so to speak. Another 7 wins out of 26 games should see us ok !

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Bob, you alluded to us potentially slipping down the table to occupy a position we did for the majority of last season. As one who tends to look towards the bottom of the league table to convince myself we should be OK from relegation before I harbour any thoughts of making it into the play-offs, I thought I would look into this further.

Without wishing to put the mockers on us, realistically every one of the 15 teams below the City will have to accrue more points than us in the second half of the season and I can't see this happening, even with a Mick McCarthy type meltdown. I've excluded Sheff Wed and Rotherham from the equation because in my opinion neither of those teams should be capable of turning around a 17 point deficit, which leaves only the 22nd place up for grabs so to speak. Another 7 wins out of 26 games should see us ok !
    I’d say it may only need to be five wins as long as we pick up the occasional draw along the way. I said what I did because I don’t think we’ve played well for a month or more and we’ve looked so toothless that I thought it was possible for us to go on a nightmare run where we couldn’t buy a goal, but, as long as the set piece goals don’t dry up completely, I agree that we should be okay, even if a top six finish with this squad strikes me as pie in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    The match felt like the dross we had in the Slade years. Awful football, but scraping together enough wins to see us flirting with top6. Bob mentions worst match he'd seen, mine was Rotherham, 0-0, in Slade's time. (Credit to Slade, though for keeping us afloat).
    We clearly need several players to make us serious top 6 contenders. In the meantime I hope Ugbo never starts a game again, Etete goes up top and Meite on the wing in place of Bowler, who flatters to deceive.
    Certainly one of the worst games in recent years, but for me the worst game ever was a 3rd round FAC in 1971 vs Brighton.
    We were top 3 virtually all season in the old Div 2, they were then a third tier side (how times have changed!)
    We scored in about 4 0r 5 minutes, and we thought "how many?".Unfortunately the last 85 minutes of the game was a bore-fest.
    Memorably for all the wrong reasons.

And then we went and lost 2-0 at home to fourth division Brentford in the next round. How times have definitely changed.

And then we went and lost 2-0 at home to fourth division Brentford in the next round. How times have definitely changed.
    For memory that game was played with pools of water all over the pitch. It certainly wouldn't have gone ahead nowadays. I think a back pass (maybe from Dave Carver) got stuck in a muddy pool, allowing a Brentford player to intercept it and score. What made it worse was when Malcolm Alison was asked in an FA Cup highlights programme the following day for his highlight of the round he chose Brentford's "fabulous win at Cardiff".