+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone here go to watch "Caerau Ely FC"?

Anyone here go to watch "Caerau Ely FC"?

I heard them mentioned on the radio. Didn't know they existed. I presume the home ground is enroute to the "5 miler" in Caerau?
    anyone know anything? Do they have a club house serving beer n food?

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Anyone here go to watch "Caerau Ely FC"?

Home ground is Cwrt yr Ala

https://www.caerauelyfc.co.uk/home

Not sure where they run from now but
    club house per se so no food or beer

They play Cwrt y ala Road, the old Lake United/ AFC cardiff ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    They play Cwrt y ala Road, the old Lake United/ AFC cardiff ground.
    Lake United-Afc Cardiff, now that's a blast from the past. Didn't they become Inter Cardiff, then Inter Cabletel?

Played against them in the 80s in the Cardiff Combination during a season for Rumney Rangers. Surprised the OP was unaware of their existence but good to know they have prospered.

Thanks both, they're situated where i suspected. Shame they don't have a club house serving alcohol and food. Only a few quid to watch them

In the dim and distant past it was Spillers Sports Ground. Another one of the lost Cardiff works sports grounds. Anyone remember the old Spillers the Millers flour mill on the Docks? There was an exact replica of it on Newcastle’s Quayside.

They actually won the Welsh League a few years back but couldn’t gain promotion to the LOW due to ground facilities. They had an open top bus tour around Ely, the same bus that the City used on their promotion open top parade.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    They actually won the Welsh League a few years back but couldn’t gain promotion to the LOW due to ground facilities. They had an open top bus tour around Ely, the same bus that the City used on their promotion open top parade.
    That's mad, shame they couldn't build on that. I wonder what their attendances are....

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    That's mad, shame they couldn't build on that. I wonder what their attendances are....
    They’re a Combination club that moved up through the pyramid, so I’d think it’d be people with connections to the club that’d go to watch them. Cardiff Corries are, perhaps, the most famous of the capital’s non league clubs, founded two years before The City, they were extremely successful in days gone by in the Welsh League although now playing in the Alliance. Bridgend Street were founded the same year as The City, 1899, but, like Caerau (Ely) played at parks level, the District League, for many years. They did have a spell in the Welsh League but were actually demoted due to an administrative error and now also ply their trade at Alliance level.

As I said, the core support is people with club connections rather than random support although ‘ground hoppers’ do take games in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Lake United-Afc Cardiff, now that's a blast from the past. Didn't they become Inter Cardiff, then Inter Cabletel?
    That's correct before going bust and being taken over by UWIC to become UWIC Inter Cardiff. The Inter Cardiff bit was dropped after a season or so and now they're Cardiff Met.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You got it

Lake United originally and I think the ground was derelict for a while before Welsh League side Sully moved there from Burnham Avenue in Sully (facilities driven decision I believe).

From memory they had to change their name to something that contained "Cardiff" due to the then league rules and became "Inter Cardiff".
    Another name change followed, "Inter Cable-tel" when league regulations on sponsorship were slackened.

I am not sure what happened after that but didn't AFC Cardiff follow?

Teams that get into the top level of the Welsh League need a sizeable war chest just to compete every year and I'm pretty sure that the club is no longer due finances, or lack of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    That's correct before going bust and being taken over by UWIC to become UWIC Inter Cardiff. The Inter Cardiff bit was dropped after a season or so and now they're Cardiff Met.
    Ah okay, you seem to have filled in the more recent blanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Ah okay, you seem to have filled in the more recent blanks
    I was involved and they were paying players decent money because of the CableTel sponsorship. Unfortunately, the money ran out part way into a season and the players immediately stampeded out of the door to sign for clubs like Barry and Cwmbran who were also paying. The club could have disappeared immediately but at that time players could sign for two teams at different levels in the pyramid and Uwic, being ambitious, agreed for all their first team to sign and fulfil Inter's fixtures for the rest of the season before merging officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    I was involved and they were paying players decent money because of the CableTel sponsorship. Unfortunately, the money ran out part way into a season and the players immediately stampeded out of the door to sign for clubs like Barry and Cwmbran who were also paying. The club could have disappeared immediately but at that time players could sign for two teams at different levels in the pyramid and Uwic, being ambitious, agreed for all their first team to sign and fulfil Inter's fixtures for the rest of the season before merging officially.
    Still happens now, as soon as there's a bit of money on offer they're gone.
    Players are like mercenaries.

There does seem to be a lot of money about more than there used to be, even in the lower echelons of the Welsh League and one or two in the Highadmit Alliance which is basically parks football.

Quote Originally Posted by NinianOpinion1927 View Post
    I heard them mentioned on the radio. Didn't know they existed. I presume the home ground is enroute to the "5 miler" in Caerau?
    anyone know anything? Do they have a club house serving beer n food?
    Caerau Ely nearly as good as Ely Rangers... who Im involved with. Some nice local rivalry. Both clubs are well run. Rangers has about 350 kids that cover all ages not sure about Caerau though

talking of local football looks like the welsh FA are hitting pontypridd hard !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67687142