+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joey Barton thoughts?

International

Joey Barton thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNYu4gElKk

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b2461307.html

Joey Barton claims the ‘British, white, middle-aged man is under attack’ in latest diatribe
    One-cap England international has spent most of the week insisting that women shouldn’t be involved in the broadcast of men’s football.

Joey Barton has complained that “the British, White, Middle Aged men [sic] is under attack” in his latest diatribe on social media.

In an attempt to promote his new podcast following his sacking as manager of League One side Bristol Rovers in October, one-cap England international Barton has been taking to X/Twitter this week to post a number of inflammatory opinions about the state of football.

In a series of sexist tweets, he suggested that women “shouldn’t be talking with any kind of authority” on men’s football, before comparing having women on commentary, co-commentary or punditry duty as “like me talking about knitting or netball”.

He also bemoaned the fact that “you cannot watch a game now without hearing the nonsense” and that “any man who says otherwise is an absolute fart parcel” as well as repeatedly calling any dissenters “eunuchs”.

Perhaps inevitably, Barton has now expanded his remit of rage to insist that “tokenistic” hiring practices mean there will no longer be any jobs available in men’s football for white, middle-aged, British men.

Alongside a video of his two young sons playing with an inflatable football, the ex-midfielder railed against the perceived injustice.

“These two young men already kicking that ball better at 16 months and 5 years,” he wrote on Twitter/X.

“If they have a fantastic career in the game. Like their dad did. When they stop playing and are middle aged, there will be no jobs for them in the football industry because they are white, middle aged and male.

“In the Men’s game. Because the [sic] aren’t the right ethnicity. They don’t tick those tokenistic boxes. Because they are British men. How can that be right in the English Premier League?

“These two young men already kicking that ball better at 16 months and 5 years,” he wrote on Twitter/X.

“If they have a fantastic career in the game. Like their dad did. When they stop playing and are middle aged, there will be no jobs for them in the football industry because they are white, middle aged and male.

“In the Men’s game. Because the [sic] aren’t the right ethnicity. They don’t tick those tokenistic boxes. Because they are British men. How can that be right in the English Premier League?

Barton also tried to issue a rallying cry to his cause, which appears to start with listening to his podcast from next week, as his expletive-ridden rant ended with an attack on a nebulous “they” for allegedly taking away his sons’ futures.

“They’re intent on destroying everything because they are weak and talentless,” added Barton. “They want to pull everyone and everything down.

“Take my boys [sic] future away? And thousands of young lads across this great land. Not on my watch. You’re going to have to kill me you c****.”

Broadcaster Laura Woods was among those to rebuke Barton for his initial comments, saying: “Joey’s entitled to his opinion. If he feels that strongly about women in the men’s game he could ask for a private conversation with the broadcasters and state his case.

“These tweets only encourage a pile-on for the women getting on with their jobs. Or was that the intention?”

When asked about Barton’s comments on Friday, Chelsea Women manager Emma Hayes – who will leave her role to coach the USA women’s national team at the end of the season – reflected on the “systemic misogyny” faced by women in football.

She said: “The realities are male privilege has always been at the centre of football in this country. I feel that sport is the last place in society where that male privilege exists.”

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...tball-pundits/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...-rant-31641059

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...mens-game.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67659547

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/j...-b1125703.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhNYu4gElKk

Re: Joey Barton thoughts?

Attention seeking, irrelevant knobhead promoting his pod cast show?

Does he still speak with a French accent?

Made a complete and utter tw@t of himself when using the commentator on the Endo goal for Liverpool as an example of women not understanding the mens game.

Btec Katie Hopkins.

Was he sending out a 'come and get me' plea to GBNews?

Looking for attention, probably start a podcast soon. Nothing new, he’s always been an idiot.

As someone with a history of violence against women, I don't think Barton is either qualified or relevant to give an opinion on women involved in football commentary.

I think he's a knob the trouble is there's a massive audience out there waiting for this bollocks.

He has a point about the box ticking exercises in society.

But I'm not sure it really relates much to football management. Feels like white middle aged men thrive there.

Feels like he isn't getting further work for whatever reason or doesn't want it and is now making sure he is recognised for being edgy.

I'm with him on the female commentators though, many have certainly been advanced there for the message as opposed to talent. Not to say some of the males are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    He has a point about the box ticking exercises in society.

But I'm not sure it really relates much to football management. Feels like white middle aged men thrive there.

Feels like he isn't getting further work for whatever reason or doesn't want it and is now making sure he is recognised for being edgy.

I'm with him on the female commentators though, many have certainly been advanced there for the message as opposed to talent. Not to say some of the males are much better.
    I’m with you on the co-comms - the standard in general is really poor bar Neville and a couple of others possibly.

I can’t understand why broadcasters don’t offer a choice of in-match audio during games like Amazon Prime do, so that viewers can chose whether to listen to a commentator and co-commentator. It is obviously easy enough to do.

Personally I have zero interest in listening to Clinton Morrison, Lucy Ward (who is always on seemingly), Adam Virgo (?) plus a load others most of whom I have never heard of, who actually detract from the viewing experience rather than adding any useful insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I’m with you on the co-comms - the standard in general is really poor bar Neville and a couple of others possibly.

I can’t understand why broadcasters don’t offer a choice of in-match audio during games like Amazon Prime do, so that viewers can chose whether to listen to a commentator and co-commentator. It is obviously easy enough to do.

Personally I have zero interest in listening to Clinton Morrison, Lucy Ward (who is always on seemingly), Adam Virgo (?) plus a load others most of whom I have never heard of, who actually detract from the viewing experience rather than adding any useful insight.
    Have read Barton's article. Maybe it's social conditioning but I would prefer the tone of eg Bill McClaren / Eddie Butler to that of person screeching, like someone who has had too much wine on a Friday night

Funny how Barton gets slammed but no newsworthy mentions when Keegan said similar 2 months ago https://www.theguardian.com/football...otball-pundits

Not that I'm defending Barton, he's a twat, but he's obviously great fodder for the daily rags. Unlike Keegan it seems.

He's dug his own grave

Quote Originally Posted by fingers View Post
    Funny how Barton gets slammed but no newsworthy mentions when Keegan said similar 2 months ago https://www.theguardian.com/football...otball-pundits

Not that I'm defending Barton, he's a twat, but he's obviously great fodder for the daily rags. Unlike Keegan it seems.
    The difference here is not just what has been said but the way it has been said and how one is perceived.

Although Barton may have a case he has done himself no favours at all in shooting from the hip as he likes to do.

You reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    The difference here is not just what has been said but the way it has been said and how one is perceived.

Although Barton may have a case he has done himself no favours at all in shooting from the hip as he likes to do.

You reap what you sow.
    He'll be on that shit show Question Time next week. Why do they have arseholes like Barton on, and Comedians etc, when there's hundreds more people better qualified and more interesting out there.

Women actually make better commentators than men in some sports though.

Claire Balding is great, in crufts and horse racing, Sue Barker excellent at tennis and Hazel Irvine is the voice of snooker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Women actually make better commentators than men in some sports though.

Claire Balding is great, in crufts and horse racing, Sue Barker excellent at tennis and Hazel Irvine is the voice of snooker for me.
    You make a good point. I think that the problem is that Women have been excluded for such a long time in Football that (Putting it politely) Spme Men just can't get used to it....... The other thing is that if some of these women aren't great at the punditry, Commentary etc, then that's fine. They have every right to be as shit as the men

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    You make a good point. I think that the problem is that Women have been excluded for such a long time in Football that (Putting it politely) Spme Men just can't get used to it....... The other thing is that if some of these women aren't great at the punditry, Commentary etc, then that's fine. They have every right to be as shit as the men
    Exactly, I mean Hartson is absolutely dire , how did he actually get his break in the media ?

Joey Barton is a thug. He claims to be a top pro when he starts fights, puts cigars out in a youth team player's eye and hospitalised a teammate.

If Joey Barton says something, I'd almost certainly be inclined to think the opposite. This entire thing is all because he misheard a commentator. He's a moron, who knows he won't get another managerial role and he wants attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Exactly, I mean Hartson is absolutely dire , how did he actually get his break in the media ?
    Exactly. Is Hartson a 'Box Ticking' exercise because he's Welsh I don't watch a great deal of football so i'm not really up to speed on the abilities of commentators and Pundits, But from what i have heard the women sound pretty much like the men. There's the odd bit of stuff that's interesting, but most of it is standard fare. It's no drama for me

International

He's an idiot, and probably is doing it to get an audience for his podcast, the only bit I agree with is that they shouldn't try and even numbers up, it should purely be the best man or woman of whatever race or religion, for the job.

It does make a difference who the football panel is on Sky or BBC Match of the Day, for example, on Sunday I switched off after the Spurs games as I didn't want to listen to Kelly, Rednapp and whoever the other one was, as they weren't much good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Joey Barton is a thug. He claims to be a top pro when he starts fights, puts cigars out in a youth team player's eye and hospitalised a teammate.

If Joey Barton says something, I'd almost certainly be inclined to think the opposite. This entire thing is all because he misheard a commentator. He's a moron, who knows he won't get another managerial role and he wants attention.
    Thing is, he'll get it, through the power of Youtube. There's plenty of people out there who like the type of shit he's spouting. In fact, it seems like it's getting worse.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Exactly. Is Hartson a 'Box Ticking' exercise because he's Welsh I don't watch a great deal of football so i'm not really up to speed on the abilities of commentators and Pundits, But from what i have heard the women sound pretty much like the men. There's the odd bit of stuff that's interesting, but most of it is standard fare. It's no drama for me
    Yes they have limited choice in Wales. I suppose they have to learn on the job, Ashley Williams is getting a bit better now he's experienced but was not very interesting when he first started. I think Bellamy despite his limited punditry is brilliant and seems to have a great understanding of the tactics and gives great insight.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Yes they have limited choice in Wales. I suppose they have to learn on the job, Ashley Williams is getting a bit better now he's experienced but was not very interesting when he first started. I think Bellamy despite his limited punditry is brilliant and seems to have a great understanding of the tactics and gives great insight.
    Always thought Mark Aizlewood was a decent pundit. Pity that he made himself unavailable.

No grey in the responses, the number of people supporting on Twitter outnumber those against. A surprising number of females supporting his comments.

I’m not bothered about female pundits but female commentators in football just don’t do it for me. It’s not due to gender, it’s the pitch of voice. Pat Nevin also has the same effect. I have to turn off the sound.

I also agree about great female commentary / pundits in other sports. Suzi Perry is great in MotoGP and respected by all in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No grey in the responses, the number of people supporting on Twitter outnumber those against. A surprising number of females supporting his comments.

I’m not bothered about female pundits but female commentators in football just don’t do it for me. It’s not due to gender, it’s the pitch of voice. Pat Nevin also has the same effect. I have to turn off the sound.

I also agree about great female commentary / pundits in other sports. Suzi Perry is great in MotoGP and respected by all in the sport.
    Thank god you said it.

You can have differing views without being a dick about it like Barton is

I’m the same as you Des, some of the female comentators that scream at the top of their voice can be grating but they’re not all dreadful.

As for quotas I’m not a fan but if it’s temporary until they manage to build the women’s game well that’s fine too

It might be the wrong way of thinking but I prefer watching people that think like me, behave like me and sound like me etc and that’s why I much prefer the arseyness of Keane over the women who analyse the game in infinite detail that are far more insightful than me.