Thread: FA Cup Memories

FA Cup Memories

look at that ninian park pitch

Re: FA Cup Memories

from 1927 none. i wasn't born . ask NY Blue

I was there and I'm still speechless.

Dave Bennett had agreed to do the draw for the Quarry’s Christmas raffle the night after the game, we were going well at the time and were on the way to promotion so the stick he received was mostly good natured.

Ten years later when we were winning the Fourth tier title. we went out of the FA Cup in the First Round, beaten 3-2 at home by Yeovil - seems a mixture of complacency and a couldn’t care less attitude in cup ties has been part of City’s DNA for the last half a century or so.

I remember the Weymouth game purely from the fact that I was in college in Portsmouth, and went to watch Pompey against Aldershot in the cup that day. Hearing we were 2 up half time I was already contemplating coming back down south a little later in the New Year if we had a good 3rd round draw. Walking into my mates house in the very next street to Fratton Park and hearing we'd lost on Grandstand really was a shock.

Pompey weren't happy either as I think Aldershot turned them over that day too.

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    look at that ninian park pitch

My mate chucked his seats n ticket in to the pitch after the third went in and had to sheepishly go and ask a steward to retrieve it

Wokingham away from around the same time even the same season when the wall collapsed at their place - seemed to be a bit of trouble that day and then the replay was in the week and it was freezing cold and remember not having any feeling in my feet and hardly anyone there to watch the game made for a fairly depressing night even though we won

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody's Rep View Post
    My mate chucked his seats n ticket in to the pitch after the third went in and had to sheepishly go and ask a steward to retrieve it

Wokingham away from around the same time even the same season when the wall collapsed at their place - seemed to be a bit of trouble that day and then the replay was in the week and it was freezing cold and remember not having any feeling in my feet and hardly anyone there to watch the game made for a fairly depressing night even though we won
    only last week photos from that game with wokingham surfaced on the net with the wall collapsing . see if I can find them later

First Team

A certain very large red haired gentleman from Llantwit performing keepy ups on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I was there and I'm still speechless.
    Me too on both counts. I can't remember why it seemed quite so bad. Maybe it was because, as Bob says, we were doing quite well at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Dave Bennett had agreed to do the draw for the Quarry’s Christmas raffle the night after the game, we were going well at the time and were on the way to promotion so the stick he received was mostly good natured.

Ten years later when we were winning the Fourth tier title. we went out of the FA Cup in the First Round, beaten 3-2 at home by Yeovil - seems a mixture of complacency and a couldn’t care less attitude in cup ties has been part of City’s DNA for the last half a century or so.
    Think you might be getting confused with Bath City Bob. My mate is a Yeovil fan and if they had ever beaten us (which they haven't) he would never let me forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Think you might be getting confused with Bath City Bob. My mate is a Yeovil fan and if they had ever beaten us (which they haven't) he would never let me forget it.
    Pretty sure it was Bath City.

I thought we had only played Yeovil once in the FA Cup? I think it was around about '97/98 season. We scored and then Carl Dale scored Yeovil's equaliser, with it ending a 1-1

At the replay I think we won 2-1 with Supa Kevin Nugent scoring the winning goal after their keeper cocked things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Soul '68 View Post
    Pretty sure it was Bath City.

I thought we had only played Yeovil once in the FA Cup? I think it was around about '97/98 season. We scored and then Carl Dale scored Yeovil's equaliser, with it ending a 1-1

At the replay I think we won 2-1 with Supa Kevin Nugent scoring the winning goal after their keeper cocked things up.
    Spot on.

The Yeovil game is the only time I’ve been locked out of NP. It was all ticket & I didn’t know. There was no pay on the gate, so they wouldn’t let me in. Ridiculous when the crowd was only 12,500 (which was the biggest of the season).

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    The Yeovil game is the only time I’ve been locked out of NP. It was all ticket & I didn’t know. There was no pay on the gate, so they wouldn’t let me in. Ridiculous when the crowd was only 12,500 (which was the biggest of the season).
    From memory the Yeovil end (the Grange End) didn't look sold out. Maybe you should have gone in there with an OO ARR accent and watched the game there. From what I remember you probably did yourself a favour though lol. The away game was marginally better.

[QUOTE=Des Parrot;5474593]The Yeovil game is the only time I’ve been locked out of NP. It was all ticket & I didn’t know. There was no pay on the gate, so they wouldn’t let me in. Ridiculous when the crowd was only 12,500 (which was the biggest of the season).[/QUOTE

I was in the same boat as you but the bloke on the turnstiles was happy to put cash in his pocket and me and my brother got in so obviously fell lucky