+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Number of cars on the road, it's crazy!

International

Number of cars on the road, it's crazy!

It's crazy there are cars everywhere, two or three per household, you can't move as it is, and with the lane reductions getting worse every day.

Whats the answer?

No it's not make everyone have to drive so slow that they sell their cars and give up!

Re: Number of cars on the road, it's crazy!

Invest in public transport Instead of stripping it bare with austerity.Ever since Trussanomics this country's been screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    Invest in public transport Instead of stripping it bare with austerity.Ever since Trussanomics this country's been screwed.
    It was screwed well before that.

And greatly lower train fares while they are at it! They are a right feckin' rip-off at the mo. Also invest in more rail infrastructure where possible

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    It's crazy there are cars everywhere, two or three per household, you can't move as it is, and with the lane reductions getting worse every day.

Whats the answer?

No it's not make everyone have to drive so slow that they sell their cars and give up!
    Invest in public transport, invest in adequate road networks. Maybe self driving cars to efficiently manage traffic flow and increase shared usage?

AI self driving cars will have come along well before the Welsh labour dusty old transport purse is opened.

International

We will have to improve public transport, but I think before that car usage will have to be driven down, I think it will come through taxation and ulez type charges making it more unaffordable.

In our street of 12 houses, there are 27 cars, 1 van and a motorhome and most streets are the same that's way too many.

to be fair to Truss, her 49 day run as prime minister didn't affect public transport significantly

International

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    to be fair to Truss, her 49 day run as prime minister didn't affect public transport significantly
    It probably did, but there were so many other mess up's they would have been missed.

Here's a clue - it's Christmas.

No effective public transport. Lee Waters is doing things arse backwards. Ensure public transport is effective before pulling back on disliking cars

People have to use their cars to get to town for Winter Wonderland, as there's hardly any bus service in the evenings to get back home.

Whats the answer?

An electric bike

\don't worry - it will all be Ok when the Metro system opens.
    Oh... wait.

International

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Here's a clue - it's Christmas.
    No one is spending haven't you seen the news, there is a cost of living crisis!

As this thread has stated “there seems to be more cars on the roads” !!

It’s not more cars, it’s just that they are all bunched up together, doing 18mph.

Have you all noticed how long it takes to get through a set of traffic lights these days !
    Edit / Delete

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    As this thread has stated “there seems to be more cars on the roads” !!

It’s not more cars, it’s just that they are all bunched up together, doing 18mph.

Have you all noticed how long it takes to get through a set of traffic lights these days !
    Edit / Delete
    Forever and you get dodderers letting randoms out instead of bombing through the lights!

That one by Sainsbury's opposite the Nines takes forever, then they stick a speed trap right then when you are frustrated!

Still if Drippy's going and it will be reversed/reviewed/reconsidered at some point

International

One of the apparent affects of the 20MPH limit is that certain drivers (normally those that drive at 18/19MPH on their speedos just to make sure they don't get photographed) seem to think they have to accelerate more slowly too, instead off accelerating up to 20 MPH immediately. This what causes less cars to go through lights each change.
    As a matter of interest 'Go-safe' have stated that they have reached an agreement that whereas the normal allowance is 10% of the limit plus 2MPH which means drivers can be caught doing 24 or more that in 20 MPH zones the allowance will be 10% plus 4 MPH meaning a driver will get caught doing 26 or more.
    With regard to public transport, the agreement for not building the relief road was that the motorway speed in Newport would be 50MPH and that more stations would be built to the east of the city. Needless to say the only thing the Government actioned immediately was the speed limit. There is still no sign of the stations around St Mellons, Llanrumney, Rumney, ever being built.

International

As a matter of interest 'Go-safe' have stated that they have reached an agreement that whereas the normal allowance is 10% of the limit plus 2MPH which means drivers can be caught doing 24 or more that in 20 MPH zones the allowance will be 10% plus 4 MPH meaning a driver will get caught doing 26 or more.

Is that right? 25 is OK?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    One of the apparent affects of the 20MPH limit is that certain drivers (normally those that drive at 18/19MPH on their speedos just to make sure they don't get photographed) seem to think they have to accelerate more slowly too, instead off accelerating up to 20 MPH immediately. This what causes less cars to go through lights each change.
    With regard to public transport, the agreement for not building the relief road was that the motorway speed in Newport would be 50MPH and that more stations would be built to the east of the city. Needless to say the only thing the Government actioned immediately was the speed limit. There is still no sign of the stations around St Mellons, Llanrumney, Rumney, ever being built.
    There are plans underway for 6 stations between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction, they seem pretty mature, and are currently in a public consultation period until mid January

https://haveyoursay.tfw.wales/sew-ne...s-and-services

I haven't heard anything about the Cardiff Parkway station in St Mellons for a while, but that was a privately funded initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    There are plans underway for 6 stations between Cardiff and Severn Tunnel Junction, they seem pretty mature, and are currently in a public consultation period until mid January

https://haveyoursay.tfw.wales/sew-ne...s-and-services

I haven't heard anything about the Cardiff Parkway station in St Mellons for a while, but that was a privately funded initiative.
    Parkway got pulled in by the WAG for review on environmental grounds some time ago, there's been radio silence since then regarding what would be quite a major transport project.

Inept governance really as this would relieve Cardiff Central significantly and aid a full redevelopment of the station.

International

Is that right? 25 is OK?
    Apparently so: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...d-you-27742468

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Nice one, that's a bit better but it won't stop the plodders doing 17mph.

Improving public transport is the best option, building more roads just encourages more drivers and long term it doesn't reduce traffic. Hopefully the metro system will have some impact.

I've always like trams in other cities, not sure why they were removed from Cardiff in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Doucas View Post
    Improving public transport is the best option, building more roads just encourages more drivers and long term it doesn't reduce traffic. Hopefully the metro system will have some impact.

I've always like trams in other cities, not sure why they were removed from Cardiff in the 50s.
    I didn't drive for 12 years until lockdown. I lived in Canton for a couple of years and didn't really need a car to get about. Buses were frequent and cheap and usually reliable. When I moved to Aberdare I'd got out of the habit of driving and kept using public transport. Great for a commute into Cardiff by train when I worked there. Then I became freelance and then a student. Using public transport became a bit of a nightmare at times as I could only work somewhere I could get to without too much difficulty. If I had to spend hours there was no point.

During lockdown I decided to start driving again. I wouldn't go back to using public transport again, apart from trains into Cardiff, or the odd local bus if I haven't got the car.

One problem with public transport is that people's work patterns are much more different than a generation ago. It's impossible to cater for many workers with public transport. Bus operators have almost given up on the commuter market, preferring slow routes that pick up bus pass holders. Services have become less frequent as passenger numbers drop, making more people use their cars.

There's also an issue of people having taxed, insured, maintained and fuelled their cars so public transport is another expense.

Ultimately, public transport needs to offer people the chance to get from A to B within a reasonable time without having to wait too long. If it can't provide that, it fails, but trying to provide that to even half of the population is impossible, certainly without lots of new services and huge expense.