+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our fanbase from the City of Cardiff (again)

Re: Our fanbase from the City of Cardiff (again)

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Has the club every actually bothered engaging with the people of Cardiff? We've discussed this before but there's a huge student population they could tap into for instance as well as people who've lived here for years. There always seems to be a "build it and they will come" attitude with football clubs when in reality they're fighting with countless other forms of entertainment. Any engagement seems focused on the valleys (Warnock's tours for instance).

I don't think the amount of fans who live in Cardiff is as low as suggested either but we could definitely improve

As for our attendance figures, Eric is generally correct in what he says and we definitely aren't over the rebrand which cost us some hardcore fans
    The club did have £99 season tickets for students a while back, which I took advantage of. But realistically students don't have much money, asking them to part with whatever cash they do have to watch average second tier football is a bit pie in the sky in my opinion.

Particularly when those with any interest in football will already have teams they support.

Bit of a pointless venture going after students in my opinion, they'd never truly care for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Kaiser View Post
    The club did have £99 season tickets for students a while back, which I took advantage of. But realistically students don't have much money, asking them to part with whatever cash they do have to watch average second tier football is a bit pie in the sky in my opinion.

Particularly when those with any interest in football will already have teams they support.

Bit of a pointless venture going after students in my opinion, they'd never truly care for the club.
    Good point about students, my son went to Liverpool University, didn’t go once in four years (if I recall) to Goodison or Anfield yet made it to many City North West away matches.

You can never dismiss the 1970~2000's. You were either a die-hard or in it for the trouble. Ninian Park was a doss house of a place so hardly attractive to newbies.
    As a teen in the 80's I grew up with 4~6k crowds of either hooligans or old men, very few women or children, where was the next generation going to come from?
    My nan used to live on Ninian Park Road and up to the late 60's was a regular, I used to find that amazing, a woman at the football !!, thats how bad we were in the 80's.
    The club has done a lot to dispel the hooligan image, but since the new stadium its done next to nothing to grow our support. I believe it's amazing we have 18K regulars with the take it or leave it attitude.
    Someone said Cardiff is an event city, Rugby, concerts, Football. I speak to loads of "soft" fans who say they watched us on the box and they kind of support the club, but from the sofa.
    The marketing department and general commercial side is akin to a corner shop, its so poor. When you look at some of the social media output from other clubs we are barely national league level.
    Loyal fans are made not born

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    You can never dismiss the 1970~2000's. You were either a die-hard or in it for the trouble. Ninian Park was a doss house of a place so hardly attractive to newbies.
    As a teen in the 80's I grew up with 4~6k crowds of either hooligans or old men, very few women or children, where was the next generation going to come from?
    My nan used to live on Ninian Park Road and up to the late 60's was a regular, I used to find that amazing, a woman at the football !!, thats how bad we were in the 80's.
    The club has done a lot to dispel the hooligan image, but since the new stadium its done next to nothing to grow our support. I believe it's amazing we have 18K regulars with the take it or leave it attitude.
    Someone said Cardiff is an event city, Rugby, concerts, Football. I speak to loads of "soft" fans who say they watched us on the box and they kind of support the club, but from the sofa.
    The marketing department and general commercial side is akin to a corner shop, its so poor. When you look at some of the social media output from other clubs we are barely national league level.
    Loyal fans are made not born
    This I completely agree with. The club is amateur at just getting the image of the club out there in the City. Something as simple as a couple of eye catching murals wouldn't go a miss, plenty of other cities have these - the only one we have in the bay, wasn't something the club were involved with (if I recall correctly).

Also agree with the above post that the club does seem to like their events in the valleys - not dismissing these areas, the fans are a credit to the club, but why not have these events in the city itself in addition, unless I've missed some.

This I completely agree with. The club is amateur at just getting the image of the club out there in the City. Something as simple as a couple of eye catching murals wouldn't go a miss, plenty of other cities have these - the only one we have in the bay, wasn't something the club were involved with (if I recall correctly).

Also agree with the above post that the club does seem to like their events in the valleys - not dismissing these areas, the fans are a credit to the club, but why not have these events in the city itself in addition, unless I've missed some.
    The club were rather dismissive of the mural if I recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Good point about students, my son went to Liverpool University, didn’t go once in four years (if I recall) to Goodison or Anfield yet made it to many City North West away matches.
    I take the point but it's a fair bit harder to get tickets there than here

Plenty of students settle in Cardiff afterwards. Cardiff Uni alone has ~35k students, I find it hard to believe none would be interested in the City

Plenty of students settle in Cardiff afterwards. Cardiff Uni alone has ~35k students, I find it hard to believe none would be interested in the City
    The CCS being the opposite end of the city to the universities dont really help. My daughter is in Cyncoed campus and is friendly with a couple of football mad lads from Nottingham and Berkshire in her block and they have no desire to travel all the way over to the CCS to catch a live game.

The club were rather dismissive of the mural if I recall correctly
    Yes another one of Dalman’s unsavoury moments claiming the mural represented positive discrimination.

Having had some engagement over the years with the club commercially. It’s operated in the way you imagine with Dalman and Choo having a say in things which normally would be be given creative freedom (Marketing, PR, Outreach)

This isn’t helped by Mark Denham who’s been there for years and is a control freak. Doing everting from press conferences, marketing messaging and even the live comms.

Ultimately we’ve had some great staff at the club but they never last for these reasons. I believe there’s no more than two people who work in the marketing team.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    The CCS being the opposite end of the city to the universities dont really help. My daughter is in Cyncoed campus and is friendly with a couple of football mad lads from Nottingham and Berkshire in her block and they have no desire to travel all the way over to the CCS to catch a live game.
    Mad excuse not to attend a match

Quote Originally Posted by horse_face View Post
    Yes another one of Dalman’s unsavoury moments claiming the mural represented positive discrimination.

Having had some engagement over the years with the club commercially. It’s operated in the way you imagine with Dalman and Choo having a say in things which normally would be be given creative freedom (Marketing, PR, Outreach)

This isn’t helped by Mark Denham who’s been there for years and is a control freak. Doing everting from press conferences, marketing messaging and even the live comms.

Ultimately we’ve had some great staff at the club but they never last for these reasons. I believe there’s no more than two people who work in the marketing team.
    It was one of his team that stated it was not something the club could support

I don't know if that was his opinion or the opinion of the spokesperson

Either way it was bullshit and typical of Cardiff City to suggest a mural depicting a black cardiff woman in a city shirt wasn't a suitable thing for the club to get support

What a bunch of hopeless clowns

Good point but even in our first promotion we were getting about 22k average. When we were on the up so to speak.

For a City of over 360k people it's mind blowing.
    Bristol is a city of over 460k with an "urban area" of over 700k. Its two teams get about 25k between them.

Mark Denham and Ashley James make me wince so bad with their commentary.
    I know that I sound like a broken record, but they spoil my experience so so much.

Just watched the highlights of the game that was posted on the “best goal at Ninian Park” showing the Barnet free kick.
    The guy commenting was quite unpolished, but so full of excitement and enthusiasm.
    I’d love to hear someone like that rather than the dour, football hipsters that we have who constantly call The City players by their first names, initials or nicknames.

It’s an irrational hatred now for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Bristol is a city of over 460k with an "urban area" of over 700k. Its two teams get about 25k between them.
    Bristol City have a higher average than us and that’s with Rovers a few miles away. Public transport in the Bristol area makes TFW look progressive.

I doubt they attract fans as far away as we do from some of the valleys

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Mark Denham and Ashley James make me wince so bad with their commentary.
    I know that I sound like a broken record, but they spoil my experience so so much.

Just watched the highlights of the game that was posted on the “best goal at Ninian Park” showing the Barnet free kick.
    The guy commenting was quite unpolished, but so full of excitement and enthusiasm.
    I’d love to hear someone like that rather than the dour, football hipsters that we have who constantly call The City players by their first names, initials or nicknames.

It’s an irrational hatred now for me.
    They are football hipsters. You nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    It was one of his team that stated it was not something the club could support

I don't know if that was his opinion or the opinion of the spokesperson

Either way it was bullshit and typical of Cardiff City to suggest a mural depicting a black cardiff woman in a city shirt wasn't a suitable thing for the club to get support

What a bunch of hopeless clowns
    I don't know why it bothers you SO MUCH LOL

Bristol City have a higher average than us and that’s with Rovers a few miles away. Public transport in the Bristol area makes TFW look progressive.

I doubt they attract fans as far away as we do from some of the valleys
    So not mind blowing then? Because to me it seems like exactly the same thing. Bristol City's attendance average was about 6% higher than ours last season

Biggest surprise for me reading this thread is the news that we have a marketing department

**** knows what they do???
    Fans like me are always going to be going and my sons are the same, what the club should be doing is employing a real marketing strategy to attract the next generation of fans so that it becomes part of their DNA
    In reality it’s easy to understand why some fans stayed in the warm, watching on the red button on Wednesday night
    Saturday was hard to watch, but against Brum we were awful and there’s no point trying to put lipstick on a pig, it’s still a pig!
    As it stands I think we have a decent manager, but he’s inherited a squad of shite players or players who are half arsed.
    I’m saying he won’t make mistakes in selection and tactics, but you can only deal with the hand you have.
    He needs two transfer windows to get the players he wants in and get rid of the dross.

A successful winning team will bring the crowds back
    Hopefully if we ever get promoted again into the Premier League, they’ll be a plan in place to actually stay there and build the support on

Best marketing department is the patch of grass inside the stadium..

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Best marketing department is the patch of grass inside the stadium..
    Absolutely. Do well and people will want to go to games.

Public transport in the Bristol area makes TFW look progressive.
    There can't be many worse places in the UK for public transport than Bristol.

After the move from Ninian Park, we were growing season on season. The club killed all momentum with the rebrand. There’s still plenty of former season ticket holders who either don’t go down or pick and choose games.

Considering what’s happened over the last decade, is our average even that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Parry View Post
    After the move from Ninian Park, we were growing season on season. The club killed all momentum with the rebrand. There’s still plenty of former season ticket holders who either don’t go down or pick and choose games.

Considering what’s happened over the last decade, is our average even that bad?
    It’s a miracle we get nr 20,000 and almost 30,000 for the jacks after the last decade, when I started going we had 6000 for games v swansea and I thought that was good, over 10,000 was out there….Cardiff is quite a cool city these days, maybe ccfc and football in general just isn’t cool for the young dudes of the this world. It wasn’t when I was growing up either if I’m honest, just gangs of hooligans from various suburbs and the valley towns who would regularly have issues with each other….

We've had almost a decade of negative to extremely negative football. Not even the Royal families PR squad could sell that.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    Being a capital city means nothing.

Manchester United are the best supported team in England by about 15k week in week out.

Most of United's home fans are not from the greater Manchester area though. A huge proportion of them come from South Wales, Devon & Dorset, London & the Home Counties, Ireland and even abroad. I have a mate who is Utd 'plastic', (a Mansfield lad) who will admit this.