+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Match Commentary on mobile phone?

Match Commentary on mobile phone?

I’ve asked before but just wondering if anything has changed.

Does anyone know a way to listen to our games, through our phones? Without paying for it every time?

I appreciate its to do with Licences/rights, but it seems bonkers to me that 25 years ago when I had a Walkman or similar , I could easily listen to our games on the go, but in 2023, with my pocket computer essentially, I can’t…

I’m guessing there are dodgy streams for radio stations but I don’t know where to find them.

Any suggestions?

Re: Match Commentary on mobile phone?

Are you in South Wales. I have a Motorola phone. It has a built in FM radio, I am listening on that.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Are you in South Wales. I have a Motorola phone. It has a built in FM radio, I am listening on that.
    Well that’s a nice feature.

I have an iPhone so no such luck for me.

You aren't missing much, unless you are a Hull fan!

I have similar on an Android phone and headphones with a lead is required in order to act as an aerial.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I have similar on an Android phone and headphones with a lead is required in order to act as an aerial.
    I usually just plug a lead (without any headphones) in the headphone socket and then listen through the phone speaker or Bluetooth to decent speaker in the room.

I usually just plug a lead (without any headphones) in the headphone socket and then listen through the phone speaker or Bluetooth to decent speaker in the room.
    Great if you aren't out and about

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Great if you aren't out and about
    Then I have to do as you said and use headphones with a lead.

radio uk fm download the app

Quote Originally Posted by poc View Post
    radio uk fm download the app
    Have you used that to listen to the football?
    Although it has FM in its name the description says internet radio. Cardiff City commentaries are on BBC Wales FM and not on the internet version.

The description is ambiguous it says "Easy to use DAB and FM radio."but then says "Internet connection required".

Have you used that to listen to the football?
    Although it has FM in its name the description says internet radio. Cardiff City commentaries are on BBC Wales FM and not on the internet version.

The description is ambiguous it says "Easy to use DAB and FM radio."but then says "Internet connection required".
    only the cricket sorry

Also interested in this as an exile. Until half way through last season I could listen to the Radio Cymru commentary on BBC Sounds when the city were on but they’ve now clamped down on it (rights) along with the Radio Wales feed.

I’d be happy to pay (or pay more, as I already pay for the TV licence) for this privilege. I’ve tried the club’s own for a season and really didn't get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
    Also interested in this as an exile. Until half way through last season I could listen to the Radio Cymru commentary on BBC Sounds when the city were on but they’ve now clamped down on it (rights) along with the Radio Wales feed.

I’d be happy to pay (or pay more, as I already pay for the TV licence) for this privilege. I’ve tried the club’s own for a season and really didn't get on with it.
    I think the clubs audio commentary is the same as the visual commentary but without pictures. And they're not very good

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff-Cal View Post
    I’ve asked before but just wondering if anything has changed.

Does anyone know a way to listen to our games, through our phones? Without paying for it every time?

I appreciate its to do with Licences/rights, but it seems bonkers to me that 25 years ago when I had a Walkman or similar , I could easily listen to our games on the go, but in 2023, with my pocket computer essentially, I can’t…

I’m guessing there are dodgy streams for radio stations but I don’t know where to find them.

Any suggestions?
    Glad it's not just me that struggles with this. I'm often out for away games and can listen in the car but not on my phone.

Tried plenty of app's but none seem to work.

So my solution to getting live commentary was to invest in the small iPod nano 6th generation which comes with FM radio, then tune into 103.9 FM for Radio Wales live commentary. The sound is pretty clear with headphones acting as the aerial. Internet radio has rights issues as had been pointed out and if it was allowed then the commentary would be delayed so would be next to useless. I usually find local stations at away games but as you expect the commentary is usually biased. FM radio is due to be phased out so my solution ok for the mo, maybe a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinlyValedBlue View Post
    So my solution to getting live commentary was to invest in the small iPod nano 6th generation which comes with FM radio, then tune into 103.9 FM for Radio Wales live commentary. The sound is pretty clear with headphones acting as the aerial. Internet radio has rights issues as had been pointed out and if it was allowed then the commentary would be delayed so would be next to useless. I usually find local stations at away games but as you expect the commentary is usually biased. FM radio is due to be phased out so my solution ok for the mo, maybe a couple of years.
    After that we'll have to find a mini portable DAB radio

How about Whatsapping someone who can put their phone next to a radio in S Wales? Primitive, I grant you.
    You could be on the move even if they aren't. You could even buy them a cheap SIM to put in an old phone of theirs.