+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Any Computer Experts About?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Any Computer Experts About?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Hi Richard .....yes it can. I've scheduled an update daily for the past year or two. This is for WIN 10 but similar would apply to WIN11.

https://winaero.com/schedule-defende...in-windows-10/
    I was referring to
    happening nearly every day, with restarts.
    Additionally they often install an update that upsets what is already there...then you have to roll back.
    when I said that's not my experience.
    I've no doubt that you can update Windows Defender without a Windows Update but you will be missing out on security updates to the operating system. Windows Defender and Malware Bytes alone may have done the job in the past, but that doesn't mean they will in the future.

Re: Any Computer Experts About?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I was referring to when I said that's not my experience.
    I've no doubt that you can update Windows Defender without a Windows Update but you will be missing out on security updates to the operating system. Windows Defender and Malware Bytes alone may have done the job in the past, but that doesn't mean they will in the future.
    Ah...I thought afterwards if that was what you meant......anyway, they claim 'fixing loopholes' etc., but I would prefer to not update and disturb something that is working! I have every confidence in the software I now have to stop any issues.....and I speak as someone who is somewhat paranoid after actually being hacked in the mid nineties.....when it corrupted everything on my desktop....I had to get new disk and have it rebuilt.....

Apart from using WIN10 (mainly because some of the software I use only works on windows), I try and avoid Microsoft and Google like the plague...let alone things like Twitter (X), Whatsapp etc.