+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ho much is it worth spending in January

Re: Ho much is it worth spending in January

If we can sign decent players no older than 28 on 3-year contracts. Sign as many as possible. This season is not make or break.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    If we can sign decent players no older than 28 on 3-year contracts. Sign as many as possible. This season is not make or break.
    iF Bulut stays true to form, he'll be looking for twenty nine year olds. The number of times he dismisses the likes of Colwill and Tanner with a "but, he's a young player" offers a clue as to his thought processes, he's much like Warnock in that respect and we might well be in dange rof going to the signing players with no resale value route.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    iF Bulut stays true to form, he'll be looking for twenty nine year olds. The number of times he dismisses the likes of Colwill and Tanner with a "but, he's a young player" offers a clue as to his thought processes, he's much like Warnock in that respect and we might well be in dange rof going to the signing players with no resale value route.
    Exactly.

The reality is that it is extremely unlikely that we are going to get promoted this season. This January's recruitment and continued squad reconstruction would bebetter targeted at a push for promotion next season.

There should also be a bit of financial common sense. The development of the Colwills and Eli King would be more prudent than the continued use of players such as Rinhomota, Adams and Sawyers. I'd also sell Robinson whilst he has value. He's no better than OK

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I doubt whether much, if any, money will be spent in January. Tann is already £150m invested and doubt whether he will be prepared to spend any more. Of course the club will be worth a lot more if we got promoted but even with the 5 or so players wanted by Bulut I strongly believe that will be insufficient to build a promotable team. In other words, it will take many millions to build a team capable of promotion and the money required to do this will be simply out of our reach. I wish I could be more optimistic but I can't.
    You're right, we're in the group of also-rans nowadays, there being the start of a financial division between clubs in the Championship. I seriously doubt there was any chance of Moore coming here, and with City apparently needing to ship out players before new ones come in, it's going to be a quieter January than predicted..

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Here's a question. This has been our transfer policy for years. How much of this eminates from the board and their desire to get to the PL more than to build a club?

How did motivation and desire work out in the PL?
    Considering the standard of players we had, pretty well. We would have stayed up had it not been for that lino.

Re spending, we should be building for next season. I’d be shocked if Moore doesn’t come back, and we should be trying to put pieces of the puzzle together so that we can have a real go next season

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Here's a question. This has been our transfer policy for years. How much of this eminates from the board and their desire to get to the PL more than to build a club?
    We had started to move away from that though, started bringing in younger players like Ng, McGuinness, Wintle and let go of the older high earners

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Considering the standard of players we had, pretty well. We would have stayed up had it not been for that lino.

Re spending, we should be building for next season. I’d be shocked if Moore doesn’t come back, and we should be trying to put pieces of the puzzle together so that we can have a real go next season
    So it didn't work. Because the players weren't good enough. And that Chelsea game had no bearing on our final position. We finished 2 points behind with a vastly inferior goal difference.

So it didn't work. Because the players weren't good enough. And that Chelsea game had no bearing on our final position. We finished 2 points behind with a vastly inferior goal difference.
    It nearly worked, and staying up would have been an incredible acheivement. Considering we lost that game, and we would have won had that goal not gone in, I'd say it made a massive difference as we'd have got 3 points as well as a massive, massive confidence boost rather than the exact opposite happening. Warnock himself pinpoints that as the moment he knew all hope was lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    It nearly worked, and staying up would have been an incredible acheivement. Considering we lost that game, and we would have won had that goal not gone in, I'd say it made a massive difference as we'd have got 3 points as well as a massive, massive confidence boost rather than the exact opposite happening. Warnock himself pinpoints that as the moment he knew all hope was lost.
    Agree with this, that linesman did for us good and proper.