+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official 2024 PDC World Darts Championship Thread

International

Re: Official 2024 PDC World Darts Championship Thread

The last time I watched Darts Eric Bristow was the best, and Jocky Wilson was also pretty good! I've watched the last few games and really enjoyed it, both are good but Humphries looked like a machine yesterday, so he should win on paper, but I suppose like most sports if Littler starts well, he could unnerve him?

I agree with a lot above, to win that much money and achieve that much fame at 16 often ends badly, maybe next year would be better for him?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    I agree with a lot above, to win that much money and achieve that much fame at 16 often ends badly, maybe next year would be better for him?
    While I see your point there, there's absolutely no guarantee that Littler will match what he's done here. He's had the tournament of his life. There were no real signs that this was possible when he was playing in the Modus Super Series (for those who don't follow darts, that's like League 1 to the PDC and its own development tour).

Sometimes destiny calls. We could be talking about the youngest ever darts world champion by 10pm tonight but, in years to come, a player who never achieved anything else. 17 years ago Jelle Klaasen won the BDO world title as a 21-year-old and has done bugger all else.

There's absolutely no way of predicting what Littler will or won't achieve after this tournament, especially when he's playing darts all the time, is on the tour, and everyone wants a piece of him. Gary Anderson was right in suggesting the media lay off him a bit and let him play darts. After Rob Cross won his title 6 years ago, Phil Taylor talked of him being the new dominant force in darts. That never happened.

Carpe diem and so on.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    While I see your point there, there's absolutely no guarantee that Littler will match what he's done here. He's had the tournament of his life. There were no real signs that this was possible when he was playing in the Modus Super Series (for those who don't follow darts, that's like League 1 to the PDC and its own development tour).

Sometimes destiny calls. We could be talking about the youngest ever darts world champion by 10pm tonight but, in years to come, a player who never achieved anything else. 17 years ago Jelle Klaasen won the BDO world title as a 21-year-old and has done bugger all else.

There's absolutely no way of predicting what Littler will or won't achieve after this tournament, especially when he's playing darts all the time, is on the tour, and everyone wants a piece of him. Gary Anderson was right in suggesting the media lay off him a bit and let him play darts. After Rob Cross won his title 6 years ago, Phil Taylor talked of him being the new dominant force in darts. That never happened.

Carpe diem and so on.

Fair enough I take your point, it may just be a flash in the pan, let's hope not.

I want him to win, but young footballers and lottery winners often lose the plot completely when they hit the big time from nothing, let's see what happens, it will be an interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Fair enough I take your point, it may just be a flash in the pan, let's hope not.

I want him to win, but young footballers and lottery winners often lose the plot completely when they hit the big time from nothing, let's see what happens, it will be an interesting story.
    Absolutely. I think, whether he wins or not, he's already been catapulted into the big time.

It's also worth considering another angle to all of this, those who dominate their sport for years on end. Lots of players struggle when they hit the big time, some revel in being there.

Phil Taylor - to have been as successful as he was, for so many years, is remarkable. I found it amusing that he used to get £200 a week spending money, that's all he had in his account. He said it made him hungry for success. Stephen Hendry in snooker was similar for a decade or so. That dogged desire to win.

Sky commentators this evening: Dan Dawson and Wayne Mardle. At least it's not Rod Studd.

Talk sport had the darts on since before 5pm tonight , interviewing the finalists , supporters , it was really interesting.
    I wondered if this level of cover was planned before Luke Littler made the final?

I think Luke Humphries showed last night he is formidable . Keep going to have a bet on him ,then thinking maybe, just maybe......

Humphries to win by 2 sets or more

Cross missed a lot of doubles last night to go 2-0 up which could have easily changed the course of the game and he missed darts at crucial times in the next couple of sets. I don’t think Humphries will be so wasteful.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Humphries to win by 2 sets or more

Cross missed a lot of doubles last night to go 2-0 up which could have easily changed the course of the game and he missed darts at crucial times in the next couple of sets. I don’t think Humphries will be so wasteful.
    That's my feeling as well. I think if anyone gets an early lead of a few sets will win. Both good front runners

Breath taking darts.

The scoring is just ridiculously high these days.
    The first final I can remember was in 1979 when John Lowe beat Leighton Ress 5-0. Just looked it up on wiki and Lowe's average was 86. Rees averaged under 80. Admittedly the treble beds were a bit smaller due to the board's design, but the increase is amazing.

That 1dart to put Littler 5 2 up has cost him.

Quote Originally Posted by ninian opinian View Post
    That 1dart to put Littler 5 2 up has cost him.
    It did. Humphries was the better at taking his chances, not by much. Great match.

As has been said, the missed D2 by Littler was key.

If Littler goes 5-2 up, i believe he would have closed the game out but that, coupled with two or three big finishes from Cool Hand, seemed to knock the stuffing out of Littler.

Such a high class game and although I did feel for Littler, I think he is a cert to be world champ in future, perhaps many times.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    As has been said, the missed D2 by Littler was key.

If Littler goes 5-2 up, i believe he would have closed the game out but that, coupled with two or three big finishes from Cool Hand, seemed to knock the stuffing out of Littler.

Such a high class game and although I did feel for Littler, I think he is a cert to be world champ in future, perhaps many times.
    Or it wouldn't. We will never know.

Wayne Cockface Mardle predicted he'd be a multiple world champ as a teen. Littler suggested, after defeat, that it might be 10 years before he got the same chance.

I'm likely to believe Littler.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Or it wouldn't. We will never know.

Wayne Cockface Mardle predicted he'd be a multiple world champ as a teen. Littler suggested, after defeat, that it might be 10 years before he got the same chance.

I'm likely to believe Littler.
    If you are talking about the pre-match build up then it wasn't a prediction more a statement that Littler could be world champion multiple times.

It was John Part who said it (pretty tongue in cheek I thought) and Mardle mentioned it just afterwards.

Of course there are no guarantees in the game but their comments are based on what they have seen of him, which is a lot more than you or I.

Littler's post-match comment (sensibly) played down the suggestion of him being back on the stage again soon.
    Add modest to his admirable qualities as well as talented and confident.