+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanner And Bowler

Tanner And Bowler

You can't have a side with two players like that in the line up

I would persevere with Tanner

Re: Tanner And Bowler

After a promising debut, Bowler has since flattered to deceive.
    I thought he'd be a key player for us, it's not turning out that way.

I've seen Blackpool fans say he's very much a confidence player - if the team's doing well he's great, but if not he disappears.

If Bowler beats his man early he’s fine but all to often he’s totally out of the game.

As much as I don't rate Meite I'd have him on the right wing instead of Bowler and have Etete up front.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

Agree about Bowler, hopeless. Was living off one piece of skill v Leeds.

Runs into his man all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    I've seen Blackpool fans say he's very much a confidence player - if the team's doing well he's great, but if not he disappears.
    That's convenient for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    That's convenient for him.
    Jason Bowen was similar - unplayable when we were 2 goals ahead. Invisible if we were struggling. To that extent these are luxury players, but should we ever get on top again this season I think Bowler could play a part!.

I'd much prefer Tanner and I think he needs more opportunities to play and encouragement to express himself

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Jason Bowen was similar - unplayable when we were 2 goals ahead. Invisible if we were struggling. To that extent these are luxury players, but should we ever get on top again this season I think Bowler could play a part!.
    I'm biased when it comes to Bowen because i played with him, a fantastic player and a lovely bloke, after that, i completely agree with you Some on here have a problem with Bulur wanting his wide players to do more, because essentially they're midfield players in this formation, not dedicated wide players from the 90s. Tanner will have problems adapting, Bowler shouldn't. They're just being asked to drop deeper and work inside in order to maximise their presence. Like plenty of other wide midfield players in the world of football. I get the impression that fans seem to think that Bowler and Tanner shoyld stand on the touchline waiting for someone to give them the ball. Well, what if the ball doesn't come? What if it does and they're stopped straight away? There's absolutely no point in them being there, they have to contribute more, that's the modern game.

This doesn't mean that i'm in defence of Bulut, i do think that he is making mistakes, getting things wrong etc. But, on this one, with the wide midfield players, and with Colwill and Robinson, then he's right, thy have to contribute more, much more, Because that's their position, that's why they're deemed 'Better' players, that's why they command higher wages, bigger transfer fees, better sponsorship, because they're the boys who make it happen, or at least they're supposed to. Hardly any player in the modern game is afforded the luxury of doing just what they're half decent at, Defenders have to be able to play a bit, as do goalkeepers, fullbacks need to be able to beat players and make crosses of quality, It's changed for everyone. Bowler, Tanner and whoever else know this.

So it’s ok for you to criticise Bowler but then you have a period if someone criticises the Greek lads? Or Bulut?

Hypocritical TWAT

I'm biased when it comes to Bowen because i played with him, a fantastic player and a lovely bloke, after that, i completely agree with you Some on here have a problem with Bulur wanting his wide players to do more, because essentially they're midfield players in this formation, not dedicated wide players from the 90s. Tanner will have problems adapting, Bowler shouldn't. They're just being asked to drop deeper and work inside in order to maximise their presence. Like plenty of other wide midfield players in the world of football. I get the impression that fans seem to think that Bowler and Tanner shoyld stand on the touchline waiting for someone to give them the ball. Well, what if the ball doesn't come? What if it does and they're stopped straight away? There's absolutely no point in them being there, they have to contribute more, that's the modern game.

This doesn't mean that i'm in defence of Bulut, i do think that he is making mistakes, getting things wrong etc. But, on this one, with the wide midfield players, and with Colwill and Robinson, then he's right, thy have to contribute more, much more, Because that's their position, that's why they're deemed 'Better' players, that's why they command higher wages, bigger transfer fees, better sponsorship, because they're the boys who make it happen, or at least they're supposed to. Hardly any player in the modern game is afforded the luxury of doing just what they're half decent at, Defenders have to be able to play a bit, as do goalkeepers, fullbacks need to be able to beat players and make crosses of quality, It's changed for everyone. Bowler, Tanner and whoever else know this.
    Did you play with Jon Morgan, was a good guy and in school with me

I've been disappointed with Bowler, but as discussed he is being expected to do more defensive work than he is perhaps used to. I prefer Meite on the left with Grant, or Tanner on the right.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Did you play with Jon Morgan, was a good guy and in school with me
    A few times. Jon was a few years older than me, think he was a Llanedeyrn boy? Obviously went on to play first team football. I trained with him a fair bit though, probably loads actually. He was really nice, quietly spoken.

It was Tanner who made that chance for etete yesterday

I am not saying bowler isn't any good but if I was to prefer him or Tanner as an attacking force it would be Tanner everything

A few times. Jon was a few years older than me, think he was a Llanedeyrn boy? Obviously went on to play first team football. I trained with him a fair bit though, probably loads actually. He was really nice, quietly spoken.
    Jason Gummer was a good lad

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    So it’s ok for you to criticise Bowler but then you have a period if someone criticises the Greek lads? Or Bulut?

Hypocritical TWAT
    You are a fecking arsehole if you think preferring Tanner to bowler is slagging him off

I think Bowler is relatively easy to work out whereas Tanner is a bit more random, therefore not as easy to defend

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I think Bowler is relatively easy to work out whereas Tanner is a bit more random, therefore not as easy to defend
    The Tanner of the last two or three months is simple to defend against and Bowler is going the same way, Meite has been our most effective winger in recent weeks.

I don't think anyone is saying that our wingers should just stay out wide and demand that the ball be played to them, but, especially in a 4-2-3-1, they are essentially attacking players, as is whoever plays number ten. Bowler and Tanner play with a full back behind them and so I'd say they have a relatively light time of it compared to someone who plays as a wing back and is expected to do the lot in wide areas.

Bowler and Tanner are never described as full backs or wing backs, everyone knows them as wingers, yet the latter in particular has become an auxiliary defender in recent months and the job he is really in the side for, the role which first attracted City's attention, is in danger of becoming secondary to the out of possession stuff which Bulut took him off at half time about at Ipswich. People talk about the ball not sticking with our centre forwards, but it's little wonder that it doesn't when they tend to be so isolated from their so called attacking partners.

It was Tanner who made that chance for etete yesterday

I am not saying bowler isn't any good but if I was to prefer him or Tanner as an attacking force it would be Tanner everything

You mean by Tanner’s back pass to their goalie ??????

My Granny could have kicked that ball harder and she’s been dead for 60 years

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    You mean by Tanner’s back pass to their goalie ??????

My Granny could have kicked that ball harder and she’s been dead for 60 years
    She was some centre half though!!!!

Both have been disappointing.

Bowler, although less exciting, seems the better choice at the moment as Tanner when he has started just did not perform.

At the moment I think Tanner is better off the bench but I think will develop and get better.

I believe the fundamental issue is they are inverted, they are all one trick ponies, and whilst a novelty about 10 years ago every team knows how to defend it. Also when they defend they are on the "wrong" side so are hopeless.

The inverted full-back moving diagonally into centre midfield which Perry does so well requires the wide player to drop when needed, that why they appear full back half the time.

EB will have to move Grant as I reckon Callum O'Dowda on his proper side will be awesome in this system. Just needs to find a full back like Peery for the left

They both had strong starts to the season but have frustrated since then.

Bowler increasingly loses possession as he doesn't know when to release the ball as opposed to trying to take on another man.