+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our defence

Our defence

Until recently, the cornerstone of our team, but lately the defence has looked shaky. Part canbe put down to fatigue, certainly Collins is a shadow of the player he was. McGuinness has also looked shaky. If he is not defending well, then his shortcomings with his passing, start to make him a liability.
    I would make a change for Leicester. Bit of a free hit, noone expects us to even get a draw. Panzo in for McGuinness and Ralls for Collins.

Re: Our defence

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    Until recently, the cornerstone of our team, but lately the defence has looked shaky. Part canbe put down to fatigue, certainly Collins is a shadow of the player he was. McGuinness has also looked shaky. If he is not defending well, then his shortcomings with his passing, start to make him a liability.
    I would make a change for Leicester. Bit of a free hit, noone expects us to even get a draw. Panzo in for McGuinness and Ralls for Collins.
    Collins has lost all attacking intent. What to see some proper overlapping from the full backs.

In fact we are far too timid when turning defence into attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Collins has lost all attacking intent. What to see some proper overlapping from the full backs.

In fact we are far too timid when turning defence into attack.
    Is that Bulut's emphasis on what we do off the ball?

Collins looks shot of confidence, he can’t seem to defend, his basic passing has become woeful, poor sense of positioning. I can only assume he’s carrying an injury but due to lack or no options he plays.

Yet personally he still starts unless we change to a back 5 against Leicester which is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Is that Bulut's emphasis on what we do off the ball?
    If it is then he needs to do a hell of a lot better as it’s been shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Labour leader View Post
    So drop one of our best and most consistent defenders/players, who has come on leaps and bounds this season and who is touted for a big money move to the Prem, for a bloke who has only played (poorly) in one league game so far against the high scoring League leaders ? There are a number of other players who are hardly contributing but could be left out before that happens including Collins, Meite, Etete and Siopis (I know he was only on the bench today but played poorly again when he came on). Playing with three central defenders would be a much more sensible option to give Goutas and McGuiness some help as they are being put under considerable pressure by poor passing and distribution by Collins, Siopis and other midfielders.

We have a mid-table defence, and that's exactly where we are. If we want better, then we have to invest in better players.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We have a mid-table defence, and that's exactly where we are. If we want better, then we have to invest in better players.
    I actually think our defence is generally pretty good. One potential problem we've got is that neither Goutas or McGuinness are particularly comfortable on the ball and we play out from the back a lot.